Author Topic: My idea for Mini Games in Dungeon Craft Demo  (Read 435 times)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
My idea for Mini Games in Dungeon Craft Demo
« on: September 10, 2016, 09:44:57 PM »
Hello everyone,

I know that this has been asked about before, but I don't know if this is something we can do yet or not (so if this is possible, please forgive me and point me in the direction on how to do this).

I would like to be able to change the frame graphics around the 3D viewport. This has been discussed before, and would allow us to make the graphics that come out of the viewport like the FRUA dolphin pic, or to allow us to change the Dragonlance moons below the viewport

I envision another idea entirely which would allow making a mini-game, which I want to make a demo for.

ST -- inspired to make a demo mod

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: My idea for Mini Games in Dungeon Craft Demo
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 02:37:31 AM »
ST, you can already make graphics come out of the viewport by just using special sprite types - you can find examples on Uatu's page and in all my designs. I can post examples if you like.
But I agree that changing the frames in game would be cool. In Might and Magic 7, the frames changed in game once you decided to support the "good" or "evil" side, that was quite a cool effect. It would also be another alternative to get a compass...

As you probably read, I want to make a mini-game demo, too (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3341.0), would I be to indiscreet to ask what kind of game you intend to do?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 02:28:35 PM »
The idea I had for a mini-game was to change the frame into a pair of hands -- and use walls (and wall changes) for a set of cards in a card game.

obviously this would look weird to leave the hands as the regular viewport.

ST the gambler...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 03:09:03 PM »
Wow! Using the walls for cards is a really great idea!
Concerning card games in general, I thought about it, but thought in the end that the amount of combinations would be quite high compared to other games (like tic tac toe) so that emulating a game with DC might be quite complicated.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 05:26:09 PM »
Being able to change frames in-game is on the feature request list. :) But, the ide is to change art, not change the config - I am guessing that you don't want the hands to be 16 pixels wide...

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »
Well, the config can already be changed easily enough to allow for wider borders / frame.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »
Well, the config can already be changed easily enough to allow for wider borders / frame.

Not in-game.
I guess I just assumed that he would want the regular lyout and then a special one. But, if you use special  layout all a long, then maybe. :D

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 07:58:15 PM »
Fair point, but it may well also be possible to make a special layout while making it look like the regular layout, by using lots of black space or replicating the background image (if any)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 11:57:50 PM »
Fair point, but it may well also be possible to make a special layout while making it look like the regular layout, by using lots of black space or replicating the background image (if any)

ST could do a new wall or background format that covers the viewport frame completely. If the intention is that the hands really "hold" the cards, I think that would be difficult to achieve either way. But I am still impressed by the idea of using the walls as cards, that may really work well for games in which you do not hold too many cards...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 02:35:59 PM »
A special wall format would probably be the best way. If you change the background size, you change the small pic size - no the end of the workd but it means a lot more work just to show a small pic.