Poll

Which races do you play the most in fantasy FRUA designs?

Humans
8 (40%)
Elves
4 (20%)
Half-Elves
4 (20%)
Dwarves
2 (10%)
Halflings
0 (0%)
Gnomes
1 (5%)
I Play Them All Equally!
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: July 08, 2016, 06:54:45 PM

Author Topic: Most Played FRUA Race  (Read 785 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Most Played FRUA Race
« on: June 24, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »
When creating a party for a standard FRUA party in fantasy based designs, what races do you usually select to play?

You can vote on up to six different options, but if you play them all equally, please select that option instead.

Thanks!
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

Re: Most Played FRUA Race
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 07:39:13 PM »
The majority of my parties are Humans, --usually 4: for Paladin, Ranger, Cleric, and Mage (the latter with an eye for unrestricted advancement).  Then I usually add an Elf and a Half-Elf for multi-classing.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 08:47:25 PM »
I should specify what I play since I am the one who created to poll:  I usually play 4 humans and 2 half-elves. 

The reason I did this poll was because I haven't played any of the other races in so long in an FRUA module, I forget what they're like. It made me wonder if others did the same.

I suspect that "Human" might end up being the most played race (it is for most RPGs and MMOs when other choices are available).  So, that won't surprise me.  It will be interesting to see what comes in second, though (my guess:  elves).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:49:23 PM by ProphetSword »

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 05:51:17 AM »
I play humans mostly due to unlimited level advancement, out of habit, even if the design in question doesn't reach levels past the demihumans' limits. I make the thief a gnome in most of my parties, though, mostly for lulz.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »
I make the thief a gnome in most of my parties, though, mostly for lulz.

Which already makes Gnomes 1 vote more popular than I suspected they would be...  ;)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 11:03:38 AM »
I play Humans mostly for their unlimited advancement. For level 12 and under, I will have an Elven Fighter/Magic-User and a Dwarven Fighter/Thief.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 11:39:42 AM »
I mostly like to play human and elves.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 06:39:49 AM »
Mostly humans, sometimes half-elves, because those are the least restricted and the least pre-determined. And maybe the occasional token dwarf, gnome, or halfling. To me human characters are a blank sheet of paper, they can be whatever I imagine them to be. It's a lot harder to imagine the other races without thinking of all the fantasy clichés usually associated with them. And then there are the gameplay aspects, too. I hardly ever choose elves because they can't be resurrected in FRUA, and I hardly ever choose thieves because that seems rather pointless in FRUA, so I'm not surprised halflings are not among the most played races, even though I like them (I do occasionally create a halfling cleric, just to have some more variety). Last but not least, I have to admit, my character choices are also strongly influenced by the selection of the available character icons, and there are often more varied icons for humans than for the other races.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 10:53:16 AM »
I personally play a dwarf, based on the pnp character rolled more than 30 years ago.

But the rest of the party I use for all fantasy cRPG adventures are also based on our old gaming group, which includes

3 humans (paladin, cleric, wizard)
1 elf ( fighter/mage or ranger)
1 halfling (or kender, or whatever the most fey creature is, such as faeries in Wizardry)
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 11:11:13 AM »
It's unfortunate that Thieves are underused in most FRUA games. The "Who Tries" event can check for Thief skills.

Pick Pocket instead of killing a monster to get a Special Item
Open Lock instead of bashing down a door, smashing open a chest, or searching for a key
Find/Remove Traps to avoid triggering a damage event
Move Silently/Hide In Shadows to sneak past a combat event instead of taking the direct approach
Hear Noise to prevent the party from being surprised or to eavesdrop on the enemy boss
Climb Walls to evade an encounter, avoid a trap, cross an otherwise impassable chasm, or gain access to the second floor of a building
Read Languages to get clues, learn secrets, read warning signs, and decipher scrolls

I always have a Dwarf Fighter/Thief in my party because the Thief class has unlimited advancement (to level 40), the backstab ability is hard-coded into the game, and there's always a chance of a locked chest or trap somewhere in the dungeon.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 12:32:30 PM »
I like my parties mixed, not only in FRUA. If I remember correctly, when I played through "The Sect", I had every species/race in the team.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »
The Gold Box games and FRUA are the only party based CRPGs in which I don't go for racial equality due to those racial level caps.
Dwarves and Half-Elves shared second.
Elves fourth.
Halflings and Gnomes are totally useless.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 07:38:23 AM »
In low-level adventures I like to try to spread the races around. Usually still two humans so I get a ranger and a paladin, a half-elf, an elf, a dwarf and sometimes a Halfling (or kender). I hardly use gnomes (but have occasionally). When level limits come into play I tend more towards humans (but still usually use a Halfling thief or Dwarf Fighter/thief or elf MU/Thief, since thieves are not level restricted).

anything