Poll

The dungeons you would like to be will let you to...

... enter, ready your weapons and fight your way to the final, godlike boss who drops the exit key.
0 (0%)
... enter and know that everything in the environment is designed to torture and kill you.
2 (10.5%)
... realise that everything is cryptic and all your actions will have a good or bad reaction.
5 (26.3%)
... observe around me, learn about its past, who built it, the history behind it, etc.
5 (26.3%)
... know what deadly abominations could be lurking there in the darkness.
2 (10.5%)
... deeply explore it and try to find all these treasures that kids' stories talk about.
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: What is the dungeon/s of your dreams?  (Read 944 times)

Offline Winspector

What is the dungeon/s of your dreams?
« on: December 25, 2015, 01:50:29 PM »
Please, answer the poll and help me to develop a balanced gameplay that could please the most possible player.

But before you answer, let me explain: "there are dungeons in real life. And they come in several flavours, 5 in total. Today, you will go to bed as always, but tomorrow you will wake up in a dungeon. Your cat/dog/canary/hamster/gremlin was kidnapped and it will be made into hamburgers unless you find the Amulet of Yendor in the 256th depth level. You can choose 2 dungeon styles, and you will be randomly teleported to one of these.

So... which 2 of these dungeon styles would you choose?
"

Basically, choose 2 options in the poll about the style of gameplay that you would like to see in the dungeon of your dreams.
You can also change your answer in you change your mind later on.

Thanks.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: What is the dungeon/s of your dreams?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »
There doesn't seem to be an option for "explore and gather treasure."
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Winspector

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 07:42:05 AM »
There doesn't seem to be an option for "explore and gather treasure."

That could be maybe included into "...  observe around me, learn about its past, who built it, the history behind it, etc." so you explore just to find valuable things belonging to the past.

But I will add your option : )

BTW, thanks for your support.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:45:44 AM by Winspector »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »
There you go.  Much like the Goonies, we explore for treasure!
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:15:05 AM »
I'm not quite sure I get what type of gameplay is hinted at with the various options. As I understand it, the choice is between (in order of the listing above):

- combat, the goal is to become stronger and defeat everyone in challenging battles
- traps, you need to be cautious and advance carefully
- roleplaying, based on making choices all the time
- story-telling, focussed on exploring the lore
- atmosphere, conveying a feeling of tension and terror by use of suspense
- looting, the goal is to collect as much treasure as possible

Is that right?

I found it very hard to make a choice between those, because the ideal adventure would feature all of the above. Usually I set great store in story-telling and role-playing, but IMO it takes a lot of effort to make a story about a dungeon interesting and believable, and I don't really like either/or and good/bad choices that much. In the end I went with the last two options, because I want to be engrossed by a gripping environment/setting/atmosphere, and I'm likely to fully explore a dungeon, although more for curiosity than treasure.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 06:18:40 AM »
Concerning option 3), if it is meant that way that the player has to make guesses and bad guesses mean fatal reactions, I think this should not happen to often in a game.

I marked this option nevertheless, because I assumed that this option also includes aspects like the party having a reputation which influences how NPCs act, and making choices that lead to different (side-)story arcs.

Concerning option 2), I like mixed environments. There can be dangerous sections with traps and monsters, but there should be places to rest, talk to NPCs, buy equipment etc...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 09:36:16 AM »
What is the dungeon/s of your dreams?

The whole of the Underdark.

But more to the poll... I do think that maps should stand on their own ~before adding monsters to them. So I picked deep exploration.