Author Topic: Simple quest display tool  (Read 387 times)

Offline ag87

Simple quest display tool
« on: November 09, 2015, 09:08:07 PM »
Hi,

For a quest-related issue I was dealing with (trying to figure out where a particular quest was set to a particular stage), I wrote a very simple command-line tool to display quest information (searches geo*.dat and savgam*.csv files).  I will post it if anyone is interested.

That said, there may well already be something better that would do the job, but I wasn't sure which one and didn't want to install a bunch of stuff without knowing which one would do the job, if any (it didn't take long to write, so at the time, doing so was the path of least resistance).  This one is very simple, just a little command line program (no installer or anything).  It takes a file as an argument (parses a given geo*.dat) and produces a list of the quest-related events (for purposes of finding things like where quest 2 was set to 2).  I didn't try to find the coordinates, as that would have taken much longer to implement.

For example:

> QE GEO001.DAT
Quest stage:  Event=  4, Quest=  2, Stage=  3
Quest stage:  Event=  9, Quest=  2, Stage=  5
Special item: Event= 22, Quest=  5
Quest stage:  Event= 30, Quest=  2, Stage= 12
Quest stage:  Event= 38, Quest=  2, Stage= 15
Quest stage:  Event= 47, Quest=  9, Stage=  3

It will also display current save game quest info (which quests are at which stage).

Again, there may well be something already available (and probably something vastly superior) but seeings as how I already wrote this I figured I'd at least offer to share this just in case there was some interest.  Also, maybe the fact that it is so simple (no installer, etc.) may make it useful.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:11:30 PM by ag87 »

Offline ag87

Re: Simple quest display tool
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 03:04:16 PM »
I just decided to polish it up and post it in any case, so here it is.  If there is a better place, please let me know, but it is extremely small so seemed would be fine here for the time being.

It was virus scanned and has no need for an installer.  It is a command-line tool.  Usage/credits/etc can be displayed by providing 0 parameters (or "-HELP").  It was built using C++/Win32 and tested on XP.  I added the option to point to a directory so it will process all GEO*.DAT files at once.

I have found it very useful, so I hope it is of use to someone else, as well.