1 (33.3%)
C. Simple and GoldBoxy.
1 (33.3%)
C+. Or c++ even.
0 (0%)
D. I like it dark and menacing.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Hellgate to Baator Art  (Read 3323 times)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Hellgate to Baator Art
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:59 PM »
They look great. Can you show us how they look when viewed on an angle?

Offline Adam

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »
They look great. Can you show us how they look when viewed on an angle?

Well, here are some of the very first ones with very little cleanup:

I think I'll settle with something like this:

Offline Adam

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 06:24:20 PM »

Finaly, I call this done. This last title image felt to take forever. It might not be a good idea, but cannot hold myself not to post it.

Now on to the design itself...

Offline hans

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 08:01:19 PM »
WOW!    :icon_cyclops_ani:

Offline Adam

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 07:09:05 PM »
I'm making reeeeealy slooooow progress with the project.

Right now I'm uncertain with some minor art direction questions and I thought I'll give a try to the poll system of the forum.

Issue #1: Grass color in the exploration view.
From the very beginning I planed to use the dark gray as the basic ground color of the backdrops. This I decided to be consistent with the tactical combat view - which I planned to base on dark gray floor tiles as the classic EGA Gold Box games. Up until yesterday, when I fooled around a bit with the backdrops and had a look at a dark green based ground golor for grass. It looks just as nice as the gray one.

Which one would you prefer? Even better if you could tell me why. Bear in mind though that the tactical combat will almost certainly apply dark gray floor tiles.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »
Issue #1: Grass color in the exploration view.
From the very beginning I planed to use the dark gray as the basic ground color of the backdrops. This I decided to be consistent with the tactical combat view - which I planned to base on dark gray floor tiles as the classic EGA Gold Box games. Up until yesterday, when I fooled around a bit with the backdrops and had a look at a dark green based ground golor for grass. It looks just as nice as the gray one.

Which one would you prefer? Even better if you could tell me why.

I feel that, for the grey one, you need a little more dark green amongst the grey (eg, to show that the square ahead of the party is also grass). With that change, I would say a slight preference for the gray. I think the light green grass tuft just looks a bit too bright. But really, both look pretty great!

Bear in mind though that the tactical combat will almost certainly apply dark gray floor tiles.

I think a few tufts of dark green grass on a grey combat floor might also be quite effective, and still in keeping with making a great-looking EGA mod (albeit not the same as the gold box EGA graphics, which tended not to utilise the colours optimally in combat art).

Offline Adam

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 03:25:43 AM »
I feel that, for the grey one, you need a little more dark green amongst the grey (eg, to show that the square ahead of the party is also grass).
I did this in the first versions (see i.e. http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2061.msg44931#msg44931) but found that it's way too busy. It also clashes with some of the decorative wallset elements (with the 16 EGA colors it's hard to get colors to separate elements).
Currently I'm biased to this variant too, because if I stick to the concept, outdoor backdrop transitions will not be distracting. In theory, I'll still have to have a look at it in action though.

I think a few tufts of dark green grass on a grey combat floor might also be quite effective, and still in keeping with making a great-looking EGA mod (albeit not the same as the gold box EGA graphics, which tended not to utilise the colours optimally in combat art).
This I'll certainly do.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 04:57:35 AM »
It is really impressive how great things can look with the low FRUA resolution and only a few colours. Wow!
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline hans

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
Both are really nice. 

The green one suggests to the viewer a more prosperous, idyllic locale.  The grey, on the other hand, more troubled times, with ominous portents. 

Why not use both?

Offline Adam

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 06:46:26 PM »
The green one suggests to the viewer a more prosperous, idyllic locale.  The grey, on the other hand, more troubled times, with ominous portents. 

Why not use both?

A good remark. Sadly the number of backdrops with day-night cycle is rather limited, but I'll see if I can squeeze both in. I could even signal the player entering a dense forest or a shady hillside with the transition between the two...

Offline Adam

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »
Well, let's have a new poll!

As the frames of the bigpics are paper borders, I thought of drawing the bigpics as drawings. It might be stylish, not to mention how much easier it is to draw these as full color scenes.

Which of these would you prefer?

Offline hans

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »
I voted for the "dark one" but they're all great!  Between the light one and the dark one is pretty much a coin flip for me.  I like them better than the third mostly because they make use of the full BigPic area. 

Once again, I am astonished by your visual sense and artistic talent, Adam!  What wonderful work!!!   :notworthy:

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 10:11:45 PM »
I vote for the darker one, as well. It looks a bit more like a wood burned etching.

Offline Mordant

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 08:29:13 AM »
I use TLBMAKE to create animated small pics and graphics that are not standard size.

For anything else (frame sets, title art, combat icons, etc.), I would use TOOLBOX.

Where can I find all of these programs? Searching on UA Archive is tedious as best. Does anyone know how much content is out there at this point? I have a business writing pen & paper, tabletop RPG modules. I'd consider hosting FRUA files if we could come up with a better organizational paradigm. I like Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures Image Gallery for art, but all the other tools are difficult at best to find.

Also, is anyone working on Windows versions of some of the manipulation, and conversion utils? I'd prefer to be able to import an image, or sprite into a program, color correct it, and export to pcx, lbm, or tbl as needed all in a small windows utility instead of having to do it all in DOS will clunky programs, and command line utils. Do these things exist in Windows for DungeonCraft that would also work for FRUA?

AlexDK