Author Topic: Help - question about FRUA dragons and monster AI  (Read 1108 times)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Help - question about FRUA dragons and monster AI
« on: May 24, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »
So, first off I'm not exactly sure where to post this so if its in the wrong area I apologize. Second, but probably more important is a shout out of greetings to all our FRUA brothers and sisters. I am usually a regular in the DC forums but not much here, as regretfully I haven't played FRUA in a while... and perhaps I should fix that.

But I come to you, the FRUA sages and those who know more about FRUA than I do because I need your help. Somewhere, I read some text describing how FRUA does its AI and friendly fire and the text said something like this: "some dragons will not breathe into an area where there are troops on its side, while others will happily toast their own side". If anyone knows where this is, please post a link!!!

Perhaps its lost, or even I did NOT read this and I somehow in my mind thought I did (been a long slow decent into it  :o). Google search didn't help. I looked a bit in the UANLs, but there is a lot of info there and didn't find it. Even went old school looking, and read most of this: http://frua.rosedragon.org/faq/text/index.htm without finding it. Hope someone can point me to the proper post/text/link

ST

Offline uydevotee

Re: Help - question about FRUA dragons and monster AI
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
I remember that NPC Akbar-bel Akash in CurseoftheAzureBonds being the last npc that would friendly fire some fireball/stinking cloud on your own guys.
it'd be nice if you could choose to turn friendly fire on/off for select creatures/NPCs for a module to flavor them up.
I don't know much about the game but I hope you can get an answer

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
So, I tried this. Confirmation from anyone else is welcome--I've done a lot of messed-up hacking over the years.

BUT: I stuck a fighter in a fight with 31 kobolds and a dragon surrounding him, and varied the dragon. I also made them forget all their spells so they'd breathe more often.

Blue and Green Dragons will breathe all over their minions to get to your party.

Black, White, and Red Dragons will refrain from doing so, to the point where I had the dragon waiting, bored, behind a line of kobolds or meleeing the fighter (!) but not using their death breath. It was very funny to see the fighter whaling on the dragon while it nipped at him without unleashing its breath weapon.

While this probably is some strange artifact of the programming (my pet theory is that it was intended to make the last fight in Pools of Darkness harder), it is kind of amusing that the two Lawful Evil dragons (green and blue), which are supposed to be better at working in teams, are willing to kill their cohorts whereas the Chaotic Evil dragons (black, white, and red) will nicely hold off on toasting (freezing, dissolving) their allies.

Gorgons will behave in a fashion similar to red, black, and white dragons, and will hold off on using their petrifying breath. Red dragons given the 'super fire breath' ability accessed using BUGFIX1.DSN (that was Thorne's old ability in Pools of Darkness) will behave similarly to red dragons with the standard fire breath.

Would someone please confirm this? If it actually is true, this is actually a wonderful storytelling/narrative opportunity we never knew about.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:35:40 AM by Null Null »

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »
Thank you Null Null for your investigations. It does seem odd how the FRUA engine works with friendly fire. We've been working on AI in DC and I was hoping to have something from FRUA to base our discussions on. I hope to hear any other evidence on how these work, such as spellcasters like drow and friendly fire, also. Might be time for me to bust out a copy of FRUA and do some testing of my own.

Anyhow, I appreciate you taking the time to see.
ST

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »
Well, in terms of what to with DC, I haven't heard this before, but maybe friendly fire should be an option set by the user. It can reflect the caster's personality--truly evil types will gleefully drop fireballs on their own, honorable evil enemies won't.

anything