Author Topic: SHUA Furthered  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: SHUA Furthered
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 12:12:57 AM »
I'm glad to hear it. ITEMEDIT is text-based and using a GUI is definitely easier.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »
In increasing the Super Powers & Items selection for this project, I can add 4 (or, at the most, 6) new text Strings.  Although I will actually be adding few to none new abilities, the new items that I do add will be for the purpose of increasing the role-playing aspect in outfitting new superheroes.  These are some new Strings that might be competing for those few new slots: 

Super
Magic
Electric
Stun
Sonic
Fist
(or) Punch
Chemical
Poison
(or) Venom
Bionic 
Acid 
Blade
Dark
(or) Shadow 
Atomic
Feral 
Gas
(or) Vapor 
Plant

There are "Super Strength" and "Super Speed" Strings in the current SHUA, I thought if I were to use one of the unused slots for "Super", and switch the other two strings to just "Strength" and "Speed", I could combine those Strings to retain the "Super Strength" & "Super Speed" items, while then also allowing new combinations for other items, say "Reptile Strength" or "Super Agility." 

"Blade", if added, could be used as a catch-all for any bladed weapon that's not a "Sword", "Katana", or "Knife," like axes or sais.

Comments are welcomed. 

Offline hans

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 10:59:37 AM »
Magic --"Mystic" is already a String, so unlikely to make the cut.
Electric --"Lightning" is already a String, which is maybe close enough.
Chemical --not quite as dynamic as related possibilities on the above list, like "Acid" or "Poison."

If I remove these from the running, that still leaves twice as many possibilities as openings...   :-\

Offline hans

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 02:52:58 PM »
More thoughts (still in the planning stage)... 

Besides my intention to expand the role-playing choices of SuperPowers & Items in SHUA, I'm also looking ahead to a possible SHUA/FRUA crossover.  Since that would involve Superheroes meeting up against such monsters as Vampires & Iron Golems, I want to add Magic Bonuses (plusses) to some SHUA weapons. 

My thinking right now is to give: 
Super Strength 1 a +1 magical bonus,
Super Strength 2 a +2 magical bonus,
Super Strength 3 a +3 magical bonus, and 
Super Strength 4 a +4 magical bonus. 

Do you think I should slightly reduce the current Hit Dice(s) to compensate for the adding the bonuses...? 

I would also add a magical bonus to Mjolnir (at least +3, maybe even +5).  While I'm at it, I've toyed with the idea of adding unlimited charges of Magnetic (Lightning) Bolts.  I would bump up the price, accordingly.  Do you think that would be a good idea...? 

I would also add a Mystic Sword and Mystic Knife to the SuperShop inventories, with at least +3 bonuses.  I figure, for players of my proposed SHUA/FRUA crossover who might, unwisely, have failed to buy their PCs any powers or weapons capable of defeating an Iron Golem, I could award them (and all) players one Mystic Knife sometime before such an encounter.   

Feedback encouraged.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:54:49 PM by hans »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »
Making melee powers that have magical bonuses is generally a good idea. It will make Invulnerability much less powerful as a SpecAb. I like the idea of having Mjolnir be able to hurl Lightning Bolts. I wouldn't decrease the damage done by Super Strength, but instead add more melee powers that are as strong as Super Strength.

Offline hans

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 06:33:13 PM »
Thanks, Nol   :D 

Other thoughts: 

I'm thinking of maybe changing the name (String) of the "Berserker" power (Haste) to something like "Timewarp."  That way, I could call it "Timewarp 1" and introduce a "Timewarp 2" with the Slow effect.  (This would duplicate the power of the Mystic's 3rd level spell.)

I'm also thinking of adding the SpecAb "Bulletproof" to the Amazon Bracelets (like Steve Gustafson did in his mod "The Adventures of Wonder Woman").  I would boost the price, accordingly. 

I'm toying with idea of moving "Webshooters" and making them a weapon usable by anyone.  Right now, if I were to want to put together a Spider-Man PC, I couldn't have both Webshooters and Wall Crawling, because one is for Energy Control and the other Lifeform Control.  Such a change would mean this version of SHUA would not be backwards compatible, but then, there's only one SHUA so far that wasn't specifically tailored to a pre-made party, which is Nol's "SHUA_COH" (City of Heroes). 

A different tact could be to rename that power "Bio Webshooters" and duplicate the power as normal weapon elsewhere as simply "Webshooters"...

Offline hans

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 11:11:32 PM »
After taking a long break for the joy of the One-Week Challenge, I'll shortly return to this project. 

My goal will be to add more items to the SHUA Worldhack, creating an alternate version.  Besides simply expanding the list of superpowers, I am looking ahead to a SHUA/FRUA Crossover mod and so I want to tailor a few items to approximate some of the more common FRUA standard armor & weapons (at least in a general sense).  For example, by adding a new text string of "Leather," I can add to the Shop inventories Leather Armor, Ring Armor, and Metal Armor. 

Once I have the alternate SHUA Worldhack finished, I'll drop it into Rocco Taku's big SHUA project for testing.  That mod is about 95% complete.  Once done and playtested, its release will serve to introduce the alternate SHUA Worldhack. 

After that, my next project will probably be that SHUA/FRUA Crossover mod.

Offline hans

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »
I'm thinking of losing Cellular Disruption from my alternate SHUA Worldhack. 

Firstly, as I understand the power (from the Marvel RPG), it's very similar to Biophysical Decay.  In UA-style combat, I would imagine it more as a touch spell type of attack (as is Biophysical Decay), rather than a 2-handed melee weapon (which is what Cellular Disruption currently is).   

Secondly, it uses up two valuable Item Strings (one for "Cellular" & one for "Disruption") that are used no place else. 
Correction: Disruption is also a Lifeform Control power (Disintegrate).  So, I may save the "Disruption" Item String...or I could change that one back to the more familiar "Disintegrate"...)

I could keep that Lifeform Control weapon slot (206) and just rename it something else, like Reptile Claws or Feral Claws (assuming "Feral" gets one of the available Item Strings). 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:29:49 AM by hans »

Offline hans

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »
To gain another valuable Item String, I'm thinking of taking the "Biophysical" string. 

It is used now in the Biophysical Decay and the Biophysical Healing powers.  I think it would be fine to just have Decay & Healing, but I could also call them Bio Decay and Bio Healing ("Bio" being another current Item String that I could move into those slots).  However, since the powers work on robots as well as biological characters, it seems more logical to leave "Bio" out.

Offline hans

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 11:42:09 AM »
I would like to add a blunt weapon. 

Hogan the grim would like a Mace.  Daredevil would like a Billyclub (or maybe even just a Club).  Donatello of the TMNTs would like a Staff.  Etcetera.  But I may not be able to spare more than a single Item String. 

So, I'm in a quandary.   What would work best?  Mace?-Maul?-Bludgeon?-Cudgel?-Baton?-Club?-Staff?-Hammer?-Truncheon???  Something else? 

What would be most useful to potential players when making up their new superheroes?   :icon_scratch:

All feedback welcomed.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »
You could just call them all "Mjolnir".  ;D

Seriously, though, I would go with Club or Hammer and reclaim the "Mjolnir" string.

Offline hans

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 08:18:13 PM »
I do plan to keep Mjolnir, and to add the Lightning Bolts SpecAb and give it either a +4 or +5 magical bonus (as discussed some months ago).  I believe all that's workable.  The cost is currently 8, I would bump the price of the improved version up to 11 or 12.  Still pretty reasonable for what is probably the most powerful weapon in SHUA.

Offline hans

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »
Looking into the Item Strings, I believe there are a handful that don't appear to have been actually used (unless I overlooked an occurrence somewhere):
Fire
Lightning
Summoning
X Damage Vs.
Henchmen
Attack
Solar
Wings
Mask 

So, I assume that I could safely change of these. 
Of these, I would want to keep Fire, Lightning, and Attack. 
Possibly Solar. 
That would still leave more 5 available slots for new names.

Offline hans

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 06:45:45 PM »
I'm thinking about doing something with Energy Aura 2  which confers the Hell Hound Breath specab. 

IIRC, the only way a PC could use Hell Hound Breath would be if they were put on Quick.  Would any of you miss that superpower if I changed it? 

If I were to change it, my options are:

Change the specab to +4d6 fire damage (Energy Aura 1's specab is FireTouch).

Do the above, and also change the name to Flaming Aura or something. 

Replace both the name and the specab to make a more different superpower.

Offline hans

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 01:53:54 PM »
I've designated as many Item Strings as I can to new names, now, except maybe Solar.  I'm considering changing that one to either Poison or Venom or Toxic.  But then, those might be more Supervillainish in nature.  Would anybody want to create a Superhero with that kind of a power...? 
  ???