Author Topic: PREVIEW: Pool of Radiance, Dungeon Craft Conversion  (Read 14914 times)

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
PREVIEW: Pool of Radiance, Dungeon Craft Conversion
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
I've decided that the GoldBox game I am going to work on converting to Dungeon Craft is Pool of Radiance. :D

To this end I have already converted all of the art and have started translating the levels. THe first 11 are done - geo1 through geo4, which means I'm about half-way through. I have matched up the walls and backdrops for the slums level.

A big thank you to Ishad Nha, Simeon Pilgrim, marainein and Bil Simser. You have provided me with files and the information I need to take on this project. :)

Online ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: PREVIEW: Pool of Radiance, Dungeon Craft Conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
This is...impressive...

I approve.   ;D
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:07:22 AM »
I am waiting for it ;)

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 06:28:50 PM »
Okay, this morning I finished converting the geo files to DC level - 29 levels in all including 2 unknown areas which may represent some left over designing or might be areas for the overland. I will investigate as I go. :)
I have all of the walls and backdrops in place for the Slums, Civilized Area of New Phlan, Mendor's Library and Stojanow Gate. After I get all of the awls placed for all levels, I will go back through and replace the redundant walls - for a couple of them there are 5 copies of the same wall.

This screenshot is of one of the temples in the Civilized Area of new Phlan. :D

Offline Orgetorix

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 08:38:40 PM »
That looks really good. Makes me want to break out my copy of the original, and beat it again. I think though I'll wait for this, and make it my first experience with DC, thanks for the time you're putting into this.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:40:02 PM »
got to say that this looks flippin' awesome! I mean, PoR is my favorite goldbox game, maybe because its "where it all started" or perhaps its because I can play any other GB game but I want to play it and have been completely unsuccessful thru dosbox (and you know how it works with something you want and how not getting it makes you want it more).

anyhow, watching this closely and eagerly

ST

Offline marainein

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 12:13:22 AM »
Okay, this morning I finished converting the geo files to DC level - 29 levels in all including 2 unknown areas which may represent some left over designing or might be areas for the overland. I will investigate as I go. :)
I have all of the walls and backdrops in place for the Slums, Civilized Area of New Phlan, Mendor's Library and Stojanow Gate. After I get all of the awls placed for all levels, I will go back through and replace the redundant walls - for a couple of them there are 5 copies of the same wall.

Excellent stuff! I was hoping to send you the level maps in DC format extracted using a script I wrote, but you're obviously way ahead of me here. Maybe I can use it on some of the other Gold Box games, as the geo file format is fairly constant.

What next? How can I be of help?

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 02:06:29 AM »
dunno if this matters or not, but a copy of your python conversion script would be something I'm interested in, as I haven't delved into the DC sourcecode much at all but would love to see this.

ST

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »

Excellent stuff! I was hoping to send you the level maps in DC format extracted using a script I wrote, but you're obviously way ahead of me here. Maybe I can use it on some of the other Gold Box games, as the geo file format is fairly constant.

What next? How can I be of help?

I am sure your script is easier than what I did - not that it was complicated, but there were several steps and if it hadn't been for the macros I made in my text editor, I would have stopped after the second or third one I tried. :D

Okay, I've got the art and I've got the maps, what else do I need? Databases are the first thing that pops to mind. I have a spreadsheet I started some time ago with the monster databases for the Savage Fronetier games, so I know that I knew how to get this info. :D But, in a spreadsheet is only slightly more useful to be honest. DC has two was that it can import databases - as a txt file or a dat file. The txt file is human readable and easily editable, so I use them the vast majority of the time for my DC use. In the bestest of all worlds, You would be able to write scripts that would take the various databases and  and export them to a text file in the DC format. :D What would be helpful for me is if  it was in a text file that would be serialized so for example we would have "Goblin", next line "10" which might AC, next line "7" which might be the HP, etc.; then repeat for the next monster and the same thing for items.
Oh and a list of the spells avaialable in the game - that is something that I don't have. Any stats would a nice bonus. :D

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 02:18:22 PM »

A curious thing happened last night... using the Gold Box Explorer, I found a different version of this wall in the dax file - curious since this wall is built from screenshots.

I've attached the image from GoldBox Explorer...

Any ideas why this happed? Anyone? :D

Offline marainein

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »

A curious thing happened last night... using the Gold Box Explorer, I found a different version of this wall in the dax file - curious since this wall is built from screenshots.

I've attached the image from GoldBox Explorer...

Any ideas why this happed? Anyone? :D
This is the temple door for the temple of Bane - which is slightly different from the doors to the good temples found in the civilized area of Phlan.

Edit - And which doesn't make any sense, considering that that temple was originally dedicated to Ilmater, and rededicated to Bane when the monsters conquered Phlan. Dirten is trying to get it back.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:27:30 PM by marainein »

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 06:30:33 PM »
Ah ha! Now I see what is going on. There are two walls - good temple (which I have done) and evil temple which is what is in the wall 5 set.
Thank you. :)
I have one more wall to make tonight it seems like. ;)

Offline slowdive

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »
Nice, a PoR conversion to DC that will play well on a PC...sounds awesome. I will be following this as well and it will probably be my first experience with DC.

Offline marainein

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 10:26:46 PM »
Okay, I've got the art and I've got the maps, what else do I need? Databases are the first thing that pops to mind. I have a spreadsheet I started some time ago with the monster databases for the Savage Fronetier games, so I know that I knew how to get this info. :D But, in a spreadsheet is only slightly more useful to be honest. DC has two was that it can import databases - as a txt file or a dat file. The txt file is human readable and easily editable, so I use them the vast majority of the time for my DC use. In the bestest of all worlds, You would be able to write scripts that would take the various databases and  and export them to a text file in the DC format. :D What would be helpful for me is if  it was in a text file that would be serialized so for example we would have "Goblin", next line "10" which might AC, next line "7" which might be the HP, etc.; then repeat for the next monster and the same thing for items.
Oh and a list of the spells avaialable in the game - that is something that I don't have. Any stats would a nice bonus. :D
I've made a start on the monster problem (see the attached file). The biggest problem I've got is that I don't understand how the special abilities work in Pool of Radiance's data structures (so I can't translate them into the monsters.txt file) - if Ishad Nha or anyone else has discovered this, please chime in! Anyway, I'll investigate it. There are also some other minor problems, like spells, morale (another byte I haven't found in the Gold Box games) and automatically matching an icon file to the monster, which shouldn't be too hard.

Cleric spells available in pool of radiance are:
Level 1: "Bless", "Curse", "Cure Light Wounds", "Cause Light Wounds", "Detect Magic", "Protection From Evil",  "Protection From Good", "Resist Cold"
Level 2: "Find Traps", "Hold Person", "Resist Fire", "Silence 15' Radius", "Slow Poison", "Snake Charm", "Spritual Hammer"
Level 3: "Animate Dead", "Cure Blindness", "Cause Blindness", "Cure Disease", "Cause Disease", "Dispel Magic" ,"Prayer", "Remove Curse", "Bestow Curse"
Level 7: Restoration (found on some scrolls)

Magic User Spells:
Level 1: "Burning Hands", "Charm Person", "Detect Magic", "Enlarge", "Reduce", "Friends", "Magic Missile", "Protection From Evil", "Protection From Good", "Read Magic", "Shield", "Shocking Grasp", "Sleep"
Level 2: "Detect Invisibility", "Invisibility", "Knock", "Mirror Image", "Ray of Enfeeblement", "Stinking Cloud", "Strength"
Level 3: "Blink", "Dispel Magic", "Fireball", "Haste", "Hold Person", "Invisbility 10' Radius", "Lightning Bolt", "Protection From Evil 10' Radius", "Protection From Good 10' Radius", "Protection From Normal Missiles", "Slow"

Offline marainein

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 10:27:58 PM »
dunno if this matters or not, but a copy of your python conversion script would be something I'm interested in, as I haven't delved into the DC sourcecode much at all but would love to see this.

ST

Yup, I was planning on doing so once I'm certain it's working 100%.