Author Topic: Experience Points and Death  (Read 802 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Experience Points and Death
« on: September 02, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »
Had a character die during a battle.  In the next battle, while still dead, that character not only gained XP, they were able to level up.  Somehow, I don't think that is what was intended.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline slowdive

Re: Experience Points and Death
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »
Ah, yes, that is not intended. I obvioisly need to do more work with the code to address dead characters. Adding to my bug list  :)

Offline youngneil1

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 01:00:26 AM »
I will consider those fallen as my undead friends for roleplaying purposes (until this bug is fixed)  ;D.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »
The character was only at -2, so if I play with the most common rules regarding D&D-type games, she shouldn't have been dead, only unconscious.  Speaking of which, is the engine going to stick with the idea that characters are dead at 0 hit points or is that going to change?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline youngneil1

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »
Good question, ProphetSword. Only slowdive/Jer can tell you for the planned default IB setting.

That being said, it should be possible right now already to simulate  an unconscious at 0, bleed for 1 point per round when hp are negative and dead at -10 system.

Dropping down at 0 or below is the case already (while treating the pc internally as dead though).
Now, one could use the OnStartCombatRound script hook of an encounter and assign a further point of damage per round to each pc who is at below 0 hp.
The scripts for the healing spells / heal traits / heal skills as well as the restSystem.cs could easily be modified in a way that they only heal characters anymore when their hit points are above -10 and only "revive" them (change char state from dead to alive) when hp reach 0 or more after applying the heal effect.
In character screen the written state of the character could be made dependent on the number of current hitpoints via the script characterSheetData.cs: this way the player would perceive the internally already dead pcs just as unconscious unless their hp are at -10 or below.

Haven't tried this so far, but I would be rather optimistic for it to work out (or so I hope :-)).

anything