Author Topic: Questions about DC  (Read 14247 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Questions about DC
« on: October 31, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
I am trying to learn to make good designs and I will start with some questions about things I don't know hoping it will save me time, as I am now busy but probably will work and try to make something and learn at the same time.

Now first question of probably more to come: I wanted to make some sprites for my game design, what would be the easiest and best way to do it and what are the tools I could use.

I was thinking about drawing some humanoids on blank paper, then taking a photo of those pics and colour them. I hoped to make a nice profiles that later I could resize and use as a sprites also. I guess that would be something like art I saw in Friedrich Quest and Revenge, but now I don't have time to look at tutorials which I should probably do and that is I guess my next stap to take.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
Re: Questions about DC
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 10:27:16 PM »
Where is Dinonykos when you need him?  :D

I think he does draw by hand, scan, and then color on a computer...  but for more specifics, you will have to ask him... ;)

One way I have used in the past (to make cartoon-like pictures) was as follows:
1. Draw picture on paper (pencil or ink)
2. Scan picture
3. Adjust contrast so it is black and white (no gray)
4. Clean up picture (get rid of stray pixels, smooth out lines, etc.)
5. Color in MS Paint (or whatever)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 04:09:26 AM »
Cool, thanks, I know how to do it except last part, I have read briefly tutorial on Your webpage and it seems complicated, though I am willing to try and I might have more questions later for now I am thinking of my custom monsters :) then will probably try working more on art and adventure and tutorials for it :D

Btw I am installing Daz Studio I might trying making some models of my own too then rendering.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 06:26:11 AM »
Where is Dinonykos when you need him?  :D
In his bed, ill, in this case...  ::)

I think he does draw by hand, scan, and then color on a computer...  but for more specifics, you will have to ask him... ;)

One way I have used in the past (to make cartoon-like pictures) was as follows:
1. Draw picture on paper (pencil or ink)
2. Scan picture
3. Adjust contrast so it is black and white (no gray)
4. Clean up picture (get rid of stray pixels, smooth out lines, etc.)
5. Color in MS Paint (or whatever)

Yep, that is more or less the same I do. I use the shading tool or the spray tool afterwards for light effetcs. Here is an example.

I have also experimented with taking fotographs of models/figures lately, which also leads to nice results.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »
Doh!  Hope you feel better soon, Dinonykos :D

My tutorials on my site (they are still up?) are a bit different, as I usually just draw directly with my mouse...  But in any case, I think the most variation can be had in step #5...

Photoshop: A long time ago, I used to use Photoshop - in that case, you can do some interesting things, such as make your drawing transparent, and then color in a different frame underneath, so it is like coloring, without worrying about messing up your drawing.  You can then use smudging tools, spray tools, etc., and then erase any stuff "outside the lines" later on.

Paintbrush + Alpha: Another trick for more poor folks (well, Gimp is free, but) is to simply color a huge picture in Paint first, and then shrink it down with another software (or just even take a screenshot of Windows image previews) so that your pixelly product will magically transform into a dithered picture (that you can use for your small pics, etc.).

I of course like it pixelly, so I prefer not to do the above anymore, but some people like the effect!  (I like Scale2x and RotSprite instead for manipulating sprites.)

I will put up some "anime-style" pictures I did soon (I had them on my old site) as a comparison - but these I drew with a mouse to begin with as well.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 04:42:03 AM »
Aersome, thanks a lot for any additional info. Btw now I am thinking of doing some combat icons. I though just using one of already done and pasting my resized pics over it. I hope that will not be a problem I might ask some questions though, for example how to center those figures as I was thinking just to do it by heart I mean as I see them centered.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 04:50:25 AM »
Hero machine is also an interesting option for creating sprites/portraits (and even icons), several people in the forum have experimented with it:

http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1878.msg25275#msg25275
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1134.msg11950#msg11950
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1561.msg22141#msg22141

It's ideal if you like comic-book-like characters.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »
True :) I have seen it already.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »
Combat icons I follow a different procedure:

1. Draw filled shapes (like shadows) of what you are drawing first.
2. Make sure it animates OK.
3. Color.
4. Shade.
5. Add shadow.

Centering is part of step #1, but you can adjust at the end, too.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 03:33:10 AM »
Thanks for that :) I was wondering what was the best way to do it and I guess that is what should be done :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
When doing pixel art icons, I follow the same workflow as Uatu. :D But when doing 3D, it's completely different - you can test everything in Poser (for example). It's optional to render the shadows on the ground or to draw them in. With 3D, it's all about cleaning things up after the renders have been shrunk down to the appropriate size. :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 03:35:45 PM »
Right :) I have experienced it :) and I hope I will get better.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 06:04:51 PM »
It's all about practicing to find the workflow that works best for you and that creates the best looking result - a lot trial and error. :D

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 04:45:03 AM »
It is, but I think it is worthy of trying as much can be done :) For now I think I will be able to do nice things depending of my free time, but most important is that I can do nice things in quick time when I need them :D.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 04:57:05 AM by Rainbower »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 03:05:51 PM »
I want to connect 2 maps and I am not sure how to do it, they are town maps that I inserted as wilderness maps. I thought of connecting them with zones that should be able to teleport but they can't be used for teleporting so now it lefts me with putting teleporting event at the edges that will transport to the other side, meaning I have to add opposite place to teleport, which will probably to take a while.

My question is how is the best and easiest way to do it :)

anything