Author Topic: Level Up Bug  (Read 1180 times)

Offline StraySwordsman

Level Up Bug
« on: September 01, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
Have never seen any posts with this issue, even though it appears relatively common and it is plaguing. Sometime during gameplay, a PC's name changes color, meaning the PC is ready to level up. However, taking it to the training areas, the PC can't train and therefore can't level up. The PC is stuck at this level, never gains any levels, and any PC can have this bug happen.

Testing out different bug-afflicted PC in different modules to see if they would train didn't work, neither did rerolling the PCs. Rerolled PC can get the same level up bug at any time in any module, ear-twisting, nose hair yanking frustration.  The only mention seen of this problem is one of the documents that came with the UAShellac download or package, forget the name of the document.

It said has something to do with the game decimal code and the only way to deal with this is to hack and change the level decimal codes according to race. It also said unless the PC has the maximum attributes for the PC class got on a natural, unmodified roll, this bug can and will happen.

Any help with this, or at least anyone else suffering the same merciless torment? Looks like the only option is rerolling a PC until all attributes are 18, yanking out nosehairs all the while.

Offline Ray

Re: Level Up Bug
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
Actually, that's a new one to me, and I've definitely played me some FRUA!   :P

The only time I've encountered what you're describing is when I'm playing a demi-human who has run into the maximum level for his race.  When his experience points would normally allow him to train, his name changes color just like any other character's would.  However, since he is at maximum level for his race, he can't gain the level he is "eligible" to attain.  So, he just stays that color forever.

It's definitely something you can change, though.  In my Realm designs, for instance, any character can attain 40th level in his class.  Race determines what classes a character can choose, but it has no impact on maximum level.  They're all set to 40.

I'm sure some other designers have taken this step in their games, as well.  FRUA, though, uses the early-edition AD&D level caps, so it would have to be edited to be avoided.  I don't remember which tool I used for my games, but I think it was probably RC_Edit.

Have to admit that I'm not sure we're talking about the same issue--But I hope this is at least a little helpful! 

You definitely should never need to naturally roll a character with straight 18s...

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 04:47:40 PM »
Rolling straight 18s should happen once every 101,559,956,668,416 tries.  I've never done it.

I've never seen this bug either, but I usually alter the level limits for non-humans.

If you're handy with a hex editor, CCHForm.txt details the bytes and their functions so you could alter the .cch file however you like.

Using a character editor such as CharEdit or EgoEdit will allow you to change the level and hitpoints.

You might use MBLevLim or HackCKIT to increase the level limits.

Pick the method you prefer.  If you need help with it, give a shout.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline StraySwordsman

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »
Now that it has been mentioned, the bug seemed to afflict only the non-human races, the shameless racist bug. Considering what has been said, it is a problem with the vanilla FRUA, yet again I've never seen it mentioned here or there, even with the dreaded sample Heirs of Skullcrag module. Likely since everyone now savily hacks the guts out of anything remotely alterable, especially if it isn't alterable. Or more likely, the non-human races are just that reviled and never played.

In seriousness, still learning the graces of hex editing, so will go one of the editors route and see what monster erupts from there. The next question is, the level limit of any given module, whether Ray's, etc, caps the limit of the non-human race then, or all races, as the case might be? The bug occurred mostly through 7-10, think it was. The second question being, no more PC leveling-up beyond those level limitations? A beginner thought, but that is something to be taken off guard by, judging by all similar games that happen not to be FRUA at the moment. Thanks for the previous and future help.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »
The level limit of every class may be set for every race.  There are also some limits for race and class modified by ability score, but I can't remember them all.

The maximum level setting is 40, because that's the max progression the program can handle for PCs.  You can set any race and class to any level you like.

I usually have 2 or 3 humans in every party of 6.  I don't know what others use.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »

I wouldn't say it's a "problem" with vanilla UA; it's actually programmed to follow 1st-edition AD&D.  If you can get your hands on the original FRUA guide book--the one that came in the box with the game back in the 90s--everything is broken down.  For instance (and I'm just going from memory here, so I may be a little off), an elf can attain a maximum of 15th level as a wizard, but high Intelligence gives greater growth potential, to the point where an elf with Intelligence 18 can reach 18th level as a wizard.  At the same time, every race can reach 40th-level as a Thief, per 1st-edition AD&D rules.

By 3rd edition D&D, the gaming crowd had largely moved away from such rules; I have to admit that I never once used them in my home games. 

I haven't gone so far as to jump on the "Paladins of Any Alignment" train, though...  ;)

I can see how this would be off-putting to someone who isn't familiar with AD&D from the era when FRUA was produced, which would most likely be a LOT of people at this point , since FRUA is now about 20 years old.  For those of us old folks who were playing AD&D when FRUA came out, it's just another one of those faithful adaptations of AD&D rules that we might not love...but at least it's accurate to the rules as written...