Author Topic: How is a composite bow better?  (Read 5427 times)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: How is a composite bow better?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 06:50:51 PM »
Dragon Poison (green dragon breath) has an unlimited number of uses. All others are limited to 3 per combat. The limits are tied to the specabs rather than the monster.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Kodi

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 04:55:47 AM »
That makes green dragons even more dangerous, as if they weren't already a grave threat. They're probably tied for blues as the most deadly.

But when facing non-green dragons, an outmatched party at least some chance of wearing down the creature if enough of them can survive 3 breath attacks.

Thanks for that info!

Offline Kodi

Hold person is stronger if aimed at fewer than the maximum?
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 06:55:29 AM »
Rather than starting a new topic, I hope no one minds that I ask another minor question here.

Although I have not confirmed it in FRUA, in some Goldbox games like Champions of Krynn, Hold Person seems much more likely to succeed when aimed at fewer than the maximum targets. I seem to remember AD&D rules specify a penalty to saving throw if only two targets are chosen, and an even bigger penalty if only one target is chosen.

I'd like to find out if this is true in FRUA.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »
Yes it does. The bytes that control it are listed in CKITForm.txt.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »
FRUA is basically a gold box game that they added tools to. They didn't program it from scratch. Some things have been removed, and choices were made about which art and monsters would be included. A few spells were taken out. But most of it hasn't been changed from other gold box games.

Offline Kodi

Re: Hold person is stronger if aimed at fewer than the maximum?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
FRUA is basically a gold box game that they added tools to. They didn't program it from scratch.
I wish they could have left in the option to have a Krynn game, but I guess then it would have been too large and complicated for its day. They likely would have needed to release an entirely separate product like "Krynn Unlimited Adventures".

Yes it does. The bytes that control it are listed in CKITForm.txt.
Thanks! I just read CKITForm.txt and it solved some mysteries for me like:

Shield spell, how it works.
Strength spell, how it works.
Dragon Fear, who it affects and how.

Concerning Dragon Fear, I thought it also worsened your thac0. But maybe that's only in Krynn, or it's just not implemented that way in any gold box game.

I see thief scroll use mentioned, but it gives no details. What is a thief's chance of successfully casting from a mage scroll? I seem to remember reading somewhere it is 75%, but my experience suggests it's a lot worse than that, at least for high-level mage spells.

Concerning Hold Person, I guess a single-target cleric version would save at -2, and a double-target at -1. Perhaps only the mage version would give a -3 bonus when aimed at a single target. It's implied that Hold Monster works the same way?

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »
A few Krynn modules were made, it involved a fair bit of hacking. Dragonlance Unlimited Adventures may get off the ground with Dungeon Crawl nearing completion, nearing the ability to be customized.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 08:13:33 PM »
Concerning Dragon Fear, I thought it also worsened your thac0. But maybe that's only in Krynn, or it's just not implemented that way in any gold box game.

I don't know about the other games, but this is a bug in FRUA, and should probably be in the bugfix. The -1 to-hit penalty should apply to levels 3-5 who don't save. The Freeze or Flee (which is actually only freeze) should apply to levels 1-2 who don't save. Instead, Freeze is applied to levels 1-5 who don't save.

I can't add the code for the -1 to-hit, but the line -
50ff4 6 3
 - in the diff.tbl should limit the freeze effect to levels 1-2.

I see thief scroll use mentioned, but it gives no details. What is a thief's chance of successfully casting from a mage scroll? I seem to remember reading somewhere it is 75%, but my experience suggests it's a lot worse than that, at least for high-level mage spells.

I haven't used this often, but I've never had one fail, much less malfunction. I don't know if it's in the code at all.

Offline Kodi

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 05:15:16 AM »
[For Dragon Fear] I can't add the code for the -1 to-hit, but the line -
50ff4 6 3
 - in the diff.tbl should limit the freeze effect to levels 1-2.
Good to know!

What is a thief's chance of successfully casting from a mage scroll?
I haven't used this often, but I've never had one fail, much less malfunction. I don't know if it's in the code at all.
In Pools of Darkness it definitely fails quite often, but perhaps only on high-level mage spells. When it fails during combat, the spell is consumed/lost. But when it fails outside of combat, I seem to remember the spell is retained on the scroll. Casting spells of level 3 and below seemed pretty reliable in POD, but I haven't tried it at all in FRUA yet.

anything