Author Topic: midi composition  (Read 1856 times)

Offline The ?

midi composition
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:44:35 AM »
For anyone interested in generating midi music:

http://www.gustavodiazjerez.com/fractmus_overview.html

Is quite an interesting tool to use.

I have attached an short example of what it does..  took me about 15 mins to do. it's ok.

will be interesting to hear what it sounds like on other computers though, as ever with midi :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:46:50 AM by The ? »
ASCII characters have fried my brain...  going to take it easy with a Captive remake.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: midi composition
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »
The approach is very original (reminds me of a synthesizer emulator a friend of mine used). For certain designs, the results would be well-matching, I guess.

I will keep on using more classical approaches, though. :)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline The ?

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:18:05 PM »
Yep, the free version of fruity loops allows export of midi files. :) Its the only thing it allows to save, which is handy. And is really easy to use.  Alot better as you can actually compose something without oddness. Just slap some string chords in and you are away with the fairies. :)

Although try not to do 3/4 beat as it freaks the export out as i found out. I had to import into another piece of software and export it again.

ASCII characters have fried my brain...  going to take it easy with a Captive remake.

Offline Nukedemus

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:29:33 PM »
Cool! And you can continue to work in a sequencer.

The attached theme I made in Cubase, dedicated to the Windows Wave Table Synth! But it seems to play ok in a mac too. Maybe it will end up in one of my mods.

I find that (realtime) midi plugs (esp. delay) can really help up the "mix".

:)

EDIT: The midi file has a few seconds of silence in the beginning (or something that does not play back on OSX).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:09:42 AM by Nukedemus »

Offline The ?

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:47:38 AM »
I find that (realtime) midi plugs (esp. delay) can really help up the "mix".

Its been a long, long time since i worked with midi, back when I used cubase on an Atari st. Way back when our studio was underneath a friends bed in his flat. :) Was not aware of realtime midi plugins. Excellent. So used to using raw audio nowadays, which the laptop is struggling with, it won't even run Reaper, which I had hoped it would be able to.

There is a kind of freedom with using midi and the wavetable synth. Nice for composing and fruity always was a favourite for that.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:49:18 AM »
Although try not to do 3/4 beat as it freaks the export out as i found out. I had to import into another piece of software and export it again.

Will 7/8 time or 5/4 time work? I love using those.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline The ?

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:48:12 AM »
I am finding that fruity exports midi with slight jumbling and white space at the beginning..  i am exporting and importing into:

http://breno.sarmen.to/brels_midi_editor.html

In Brels' editor I adjust the tempo back to what I wanted originally. Then save and its as it was arranged if fruity, at any beat/bar combination. I am testing in winamp but i don't think the white space is because of that, it may be so, i am not sure. The file is correct in brels, just the tempo is faster on my experiments after import. Thats what I did with the previous attachment which plays correct, even if showing 1 bar.

7/8 reminds me of a certain Aphex twin track I find quite nice. :)

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:33 AM »
Does anybody know a (free) program to record MIDI and wav files, similar to Cubase?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline The ?

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »
Does anybody know a (free) program to record MIDI and wav files, similar to Cubase?

http://www.reaper.fm/

A nag screen, otherwise no restrictions at all. Been like that for years. :D

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 01:57:52 PM »
Hey that looks pretty good!

Thanks, ?. :)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »
yeah, thank you for these. I just grabbed up on all of them, and have been playing with fractmus a bit.

ST

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 02:11:28 AM »
Uatu and I discussed midi compisition elsewhere, then I found that we already had a thread for this topic... :) So I moved to this thread.

I tried downloading Anvil Studio, and tried it out - it is easy to use in some ways, but I found adding to the C clef (after G clef) difficult (due to rhythm of first clef I guess?). 
To be honest, I did not completely understand... Did you want to change the clef within the same track? Maybe a screenshot would help? (I am not sure how the clef is connected to the rhythm.)

PS:
By the way, you probably meant G (trebble) and F (bass) clef? The last time I saw a C clef was, if I remember correctly, when I played bass viol in a renaissance combo twenty years ago... I am not sure if it is implemented in Anvil Studio at all... :D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

anything