Author Topic: Two New Daniel Martin Modules?  (Read 4738 times)

Offline DrDan

Re: Two New Daniel Martin Modules?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 03:51:26 AM »
Welcome aboard, DrDan!  :)

I may find some time to check it out in a week or so. I assume it's not a hacked module but uses lots of custom graphics from the FRUA archives, right?

You are right, Olivier.

@nologgie,
thanks for the feedback. The End is indeed rushed and it was the first module i finished; but i thought - why not upload it, maybe there some fun to be had with it. The "fruits" of my work and lessons from mistakes I tried to keep in mind when finishing the other one - i used all 36 maps and nearly all possible events on every map. This is definitely the better choice :).

Best,
Daniel

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 04:26:52 AM »
How old are your modules, DrDan, when did you finish them?

I'm asking because my module ("The Sect", formerly "Die Sekte") was about 15 years old when I decided to update & translate it. ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline DrDan

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 07:15:46 AM »
Hey Ben,
the first one I finished in 2002, the other one in 2010 (after i hadnt worked on it for some time and did another playthrough to update stuff).
Best!
Daniel

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 11:59:45 AM »
@Null Null:  :D
Hey, weren't you working on a spoof module with a Weimar-era setting once? The one with all the German drinks in it? What became of it?

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 04:38:50 PM »
Realized learning enough picture-editing required more time than I had, so I decided to let it go. I have one level left for Vanilla Dungeon and I'm going to finish that first. Then if I have time, I'm going to work on another project that's a little easier artwise. My main problem with that one is I need to have a variety of unique opponents; my plan so far is to use traitor NPCs, but that only gets me to 127 monsters, and I need some of them for recurrent opponents. Wasn't there a hack that let you use up to 255 monsters, even though the extra 128 would all be NPCs?

I just recycled one of the jokes I was going to use. The party finds a Mistprojektor and is given the option to use it to cover its retreat. You can guess what happens if they do. Oh, and a Gift potion. ;)

There's an Institute Goethe right near where I live, but I don't have time to take lessons. Oh, well... mein Leben ist die Holle, as a certain loaf of bread would say. Too bad I can't find any episodes with subtitles, apart from this one with the Borg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx1HoPrqB-k&feature=related

If any FRUAites are interested, I wanted to do Weimar Berlin in FRUA, with a map based on actual Weimar Berlin, Bauhaus, Metropolis, and Art Deco walls and backgrounds, artwork inspired by German Expressionists (where would I get an Otto Dix orc?) , iron golems shaped like women that seduce the working class, undead cabaret, crossdressing NPCs, and lots of street riots between the Brown and Red gangs. Of course, they'd eventually have to flee...

So, yeah, it was never going to happen. ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:23:03 PM by Null Null »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 06:30:40 PM »
I didn't know that there were fans of Bernd das Brot outside of German-speaking countries. :)

Here's a pic I did a while ago for the "Pic of the Day"-thread:

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Null Null

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 07:28:01 PM »
Mist! Warum werde ich in diesem Kästchen eingeschlossen?

Seriously, all I get is the few subtitled bits I can find and the movie parodies which don't require much spoken German. If you have a source of subtitled Bernd I would love to see it.

Danke!

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 04:26:27 AM »
Mist! Warum werde ich in diesem Kästchen eingeschlossen?

That's from "Kasten!", the "Cube"-parody, right?

Good children's television!  :)

A friend of mine has several Bernd-DVDs, including "Berndi Broter und der Kasten der Katastrophen". I'll look for English subtitles on the DVDs.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Null Null

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 08:39:32 PM »
No, just put what I wanted to say into den Babelfisch. Sorry, but when you get down to it, Ich spreche kein Deutsch.

Offline LordBen

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »
Hi.
I spent some hours on this module. It´s the first FRUA game I play (shame on me :) ) and so far I enjoy it very much, it has got the charm of the Gold Box classics. Probably I´ve found a bug, the report is below:

*STORY SPOILER*
After killing the evil lizardman in the swamps, when I return to the chief of the good lizardmen he says the same text like nothing has happend and sends me out again. The story doesn´t progress, it seems like there is some event trigger or something like that missing.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 01:20:07 AM »
I spent some hours on this module. It´s the first FRUA game I play

Another Ben! :D

Welcome to the forum and to the world of FRUA.

Remember that you need a special program (UAShell) to play some of the (hacked) modules.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 04:57:59 AM »
Belated welcome, Ben!

It took me a while to get to this, because I had to translate the game to make sure. This game isn't hacked, so it doesn't require UAShell. Did you go past the passworded gate and all the way through the caves to fight Gizhan?

It works consistently for me, and when I examined the events, I couldn't see a way for it to mess up.

I must say I'm impressed with the level of effort DrDan put into this. Such as the way events, particularly random and rest events, that should no longer occur are turned off.

I hope he translates it into English so I can see just how far off my machine translation is.  :D
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »
Tom, I assume you are just translating for yourself to understand while playing? Or did you actually write the text down somewhere or even update the design with your machine translation?

Btw, is there a way to translate the text in the design without updating each event individually?

Offline LordBen

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
Thanks for welcoming me. There seem to be some "Ben"s around here. :)

Belated welcome, Ben!

It took me a while to get to this, because I had to translate the game to make sure. This game isn't hacked, so it doesn't require UAShell. Did you go past the passworded gate and all the way through the caves to fight Gizhan?

It works consistently for me, and when I examined the events, I couldn't see a way for it to mess up.

Yeah, to this point it worked fine for me. After killing Gizhan, did you return back to the swamp village and talk to their chief? This is were my problem begins - he doesn´t seem to recognice that Gizhan is already dead, instead he tells me to kill Gizhan as he already did before, as if nothing has happend. Probably I did something wrong, gonna try it again this weekend.

OT: In the meanwhile I played through AT1: Dark Alliances by Ben Sanderfer. Wow, that module is great!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:52:19 PM by LordBen »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 03:23:56 AM »
OT: In the meanwhile I played through AT1: Dark Alliances by Ben Sanderfer. Wow, that module is great!

A good choice if you want that old Gold Box feeling. :)
Released designs:

The Sect