Author Topic: Gold Box Explorer 0.1 released  (Read 2155 times)

Offline bsimser

• Free to a good home.
    • Fear and Loathing
Gold Box Explorer 0.1 released
« on: September 18, 2010, 01:53:14 PM »
Hi guys,

I've finished my Windows based Gold Box Explorer program to the point of getting it released. Here's what the current version looks like:

I have a project on CodePlex but there are some problems with their server and it won't let me check in code or upload files. In the meantime I have a place you can download it below.

Poor Mans Manual:
  • Unzip package
  • Run gbexplorer.exe
  • Click on Directory textbox (defaults to C:) to browse for a folder
  • Click on a file in the list to view
  • Use the format dropdown to change the format

Note: Format detection is not perfect so you have to select it from the UI. I'm hoping to get it to figure out the difference between EGA, VGA and MONO automatically. Also not all image formats are working perfectly right now.

You can export all the bitmaps in a file to BMP, JPG, or PNG. Just right click on the filename and select "Export..."

Only DAX files are supported right now. Once I get it onto CodePlex I'll start working on adding more.

You can download it here:
http://www.bilsimser.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/gbexplorer-0.1.0.0.zip
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:55:07 PM by bsimser »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: Gold Box Explorer 0.1 released
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 02:10:52 PM »
Huzzah!  :D
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 02:13:21 PM »
This is great!

I'm going to try this out right away.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »
Overall, the program works great! A valuable addition to the library of FRUA tools! :)

Small problems: I can't get the EGA PIC.DAX-files to work. For the VGA games I needed to select "VGA sprite" to be able to display the smallpics in the PIC.DAX files.

But I guess that stuff will be fixed in version 1.0. :)

P.S: the wall pics look weird - are they all sliced up into small squares for these files?

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 02:51:43 PM »
Does it work on Jadzia Dax files, too?

Kidding aside, this is an awesome tool.

Offline bsimser

• Free to a good home.
    • Fear and Loathing
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »
Overall, the program works great! A valuable addition to the library of FRUA tools! :)

Small problems: I can't get the EGA PIC.DAX-files to work. For the VGA games I needed to select "VGA sprite" to be able to display the smallpics in the PIC.DAX files.

But I guess that stuff will be fixed in version 1.0. :)

P.S: the wall pics look weird - are they all sliced up into small squares for these files?

Some DAX files work, others don't. I'm hoping with the help of the community (once the CodePlex project is published and source is out there) someone can find time to fix little things like this.

The program doesn't modify files in any case, just reads them. So they're just ripping out the raw data and converting it to bitmap images. Like I said, we'll course correct small inefficiences as we go and hopefully have a tool someday that will be able to dissect any GB/FRUA file perfectly.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 03:08:46 PM »
Woot! Woot! :D

For the walls...the reason they're called 8x8 whatever, is because they are all 8x8 pixel squares. It's the walldef files that puts them in the order that we no and love.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 03:35:31 PM »
Oh Yeah!  ;D

Thanks!
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 08:35:12 PM »
I think I'm crying.  :'(

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 08:57:48 PM »
This is brilliant.
In Treasures of the Savage Frontier some of the wall graphics will be badly messed up at the start because they use an inverted palette. They use a palette that seems to be roughly opposite to the palette used for other wallsets. These are the adobe wallsets from record 1 of 8x8D1.dax.
In Gateway to the Savage Frontier there are quite a few problems. Maybe it has an intermediate format halfway between EGA and VGA? For example look at Title.dax.
If you can decrypt the entries in Walldef#.dax you can see what is meant to be there in the wallset.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:26:01 PM by Ishad Nha »

Offline bsimser

• Free to a good home.
    • Fear and Loathing
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 09:24:26 PM »
This is brilliant.
In Treasures of the Savage Frontier some of the wall graphics will be badly messed up at the start because they use an inverted palette. They use a palette that seems to be roughly opposite to the palette used for other wallsets. These are the adobe wallsets from record 1 of 8x8D1.dax.

I have a new CodePlex project created (the old one is fubar) and will be checking in version 0.2 of the app. This corrects the TSF DAX images and does some better detection and display of others (with a new "Auto" setting, but you can always override it if its wrong).

Info shortly on the new version (which is also ClickOnce so you can install that version and *always* have the latest version just by launching the program).