Author Topic: Stand-alone FRUA games?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Stand-alone FRUA games?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »
Whether or not it's ethical, that is doable now. Once you apply a design with UAShell, UAShell is no longer required. You will need to include only the original files in your root UA directory (the ones that show up in a clean UA installation), Disk1-3 directories, and the design directory.

Run it with start.bat.

Well, as long as UA isn't sold or supported by any company anymore, I don't see it as an ethics violation to share the program with other people. Nobody's profits are getting hurt by it.

The idea to apply it, getting rid of UAShell and running it with start.bat is great! Why didn't I think of this... ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Krys Tamar

• Prince of Vagabonds
    • Taer Campaign
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 01:48:25 AM »
IF you want to have a version of FRUA for every design you play...though a streamlined UAShell (UAShell Lite?) might be nice for people who aren't interested in hacking designs.  I envision a line command with the design as the argument:
c:\UAShell TheSect.dsn

which would load and move all the proper data without having a resident program running in the background.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 02:48:28 AM »
IF you want to have a version of FRUA for every design you play...though a streamlined UAShell (UAShell Lite?) might be nice for people who aren't interested in hacking designs.

I want to give the design to some people who played my original game in 1995/96, but haven't played any D&D games since then, and certainly no FRUA. I don't think stuff like "installing patch 1.2" will thrill them, so I want to make it as easy as possible for them to play the game.

Also, while DC is a great program (and I'll certainly design something with it when version 1.0 comes out), I've read here that hacked designs do not convert easily from FRUA to DC, and I'm not planning to engage in an elaborate conversion process, because I'm already working on two new FRUA designs, the spell-fixed version of "The Sect", and playtesting another DC game.
Maybe some day...

I envision a line command with the design as the argument:
c:\UAShell TheSect.dsn

This is another possibility. Will this work from Windows?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:51:43 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 03:07:10 PM »
IF you want to have a version of FRUA for every design you play...though a streamlined UAShell (UAShell Lite?) might be nice for people who aren't interested in hacking designs.

I want to give the design to some people who played my original game in 1995/96, but haven't played any D&D games since then, and certainly no FRUA. I don't think stuff like "installing patch 1.2" will thrill them, so I want to make it as easy as possible for them to play the game.

I think Tom mentioned earlier a way that you could do this.
UAShell moves stuff around and applies stuff in a way that allows it (UAShell) to put stuff back so that other stuff can be moved around, etc.
If you did this yourself - replaced the contents of Disk1-3 folders with the appropriate files and then put all the other files in the .dsn like they would normally go, and replaced the normal ckit.exe with your hacked one (created by UAShell), you should be able to put something together to send to your friends to play. Am I making sense?
I did this with OAUA and SHUA for my own use, so I can just click on the batch file and play in OAUA and SHUA. I can't play any other types of designs in these runtimes, but they are so (relatively) small that I don't mind having several. This is not a good set up for designing, mind you, but for playing it's great - I don't have to do anything in a shell at all. :)