Author Topic: STICKY: Collected Knowledge on Wallsets and Backdrops (incl. TLB collection)  (Read 17866 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: STICKY: Collected Knowledge on Wallsets and Backdrops (incl. TLB collection)
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 01:28:42 AM »
@Ben J: TSF walls are up!. I couldn't find GSF conversions for FRUA though. I believe the files in the thread you linked me to are all DC only?

AWESOM-O  :D

Yes, the other walls are for DC, I didn't bother to look at the contents of the zip before I linked the file here...  ::)

There are a lot of other walls from the GoldBox games still awaiting conversion.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: STICKY: Collected Knowledge on Wallsets and Backdrops (incl. TLB collection)
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 03:11:22 AM »
Manikus' conversion of the mine shaft from Secret of the Silver Blades would also be a nice addition to the collection.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 06:28:35 AM »
Manikus' conversion of the mine shaft from Secret of the Silver Blades would also be a nice addition to the collection.

That's what I thought, too, but I wasn't able to create a working TLB from it. If you can provide me with one, I'll add it to the collection.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »
The water in the "Palm Trees" wallset does not color-cycle:

I altered the wallset to include color-cycling, but re-importing the walls via TOOLBOX produces odd results (big black boxes underneath the trees).

Which template do these walls use? The "Trees" templates don't work. neither does "default".
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »
That's odd because I imported them directly from the TLB included in RA3 without specifying a template, so they should use the default one... I guess. But frankly I don't know a lot about how TOOLBOX works, I just did what seemed to work. I didn't have any pcx files to mess with, you'd need to ask Darius for them, if he still got them somewhere.

Offline hans

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 09:43:24 PM »
Are the black boxes seen in the actual dungeons, or just in the art gallery? 

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 02:10:30 AM »
I disassembled the TLB file with SHOW and reassembled the pcx files with TOOLBOX, adding the color cycling.

Everything looks fine in TOOLBOX, but in the game, the black boxes and lines appear (see screenshots below).

I've looked into RA3, and technically it should be the TREES B template, but both "tree" templates produce the black holes, and the "default" template just doesn't work at all.

Is there another way to disassemble a TLB without using SHOW?

It would be really cool if I could get the color cycling to work, because it would save me from using one extra wallset just for the shore.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 06:23:33 AM »
Did you make any changes to the pcx files in question or did you just extract the pcx files from the TLB in order to be able to re-import them with TOOLBOX and add color cycling instructions?

In the latter case there would be no need for you to mess with the pcx; you know TOOLBOX allows you to import walls directly from TLBs, right? (If you do that, use TOOLBOX' default slot for the new set.)

If you had to tweak the colors and pixels of the wall in question though to make it suitable for color-cycling, have you tried to fill the whole pcx with the translucent color? In case the walls are shown correctly otherwise and nothing is cut off or shifted, that should do the trick.

If none of these suggestions help, you might have to do it the hard way: Either experiment with any possible slot or compare your pcx with the pcx of the default template, copy and paste or shift the walls until they're at the right position.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:28:26 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »
Did you make any changes to the pcx files in question or did you just extract the pcx files from the TLB in order to be able to re-import them with TOOLBOX and add color cycling instructions?

In the latter case there would be no need for you to mess with the pcx; you know TOOLBOX allows you to import walls directly from TLBs, right? (If you do that, use TOOLBOX' default slot for the new set.)

Yes, it's the latter - apart from adding color-cycling, I didn't alter anything.

I must have missed the fact that I can import directly from the TLB files. Thanks, Olivier! I'll try that next.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »
Well, it works from the TLB. That's great.  :)

But it turns out that the wall in question has other problems (the faraway view in particular), so I might end up using hans' seashore wallset anyway.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2010, 06:02:37 PM »
It would be cool if hans' sea surf wall was compatible with the Palm Trees set but I'm too lazy to mess with the palette...  :P

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
It would be cool if hans' sea surf wall was compatible with the Palm Trees set but I'm too lazy to mess with the palette...  :P

I'll try it. Paint Shop Pro can adjust the palette. We'll see if it works.

As you have probably noticed, I'm hard at work on my next module... I thought it would be a lot quicker to create than "The Sect", since it's going to be a short story mod, but the plan is to have as little vanilla artwork in the game as possible, so it's probably going to take a few months...  or many...  ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 03:44:17 AM »
Hi Olivier,

The link for Kaz Keith's Village Night backdrop...

... is mistyped.

It should be: http://www.reonis.com/Olivier//Buildings%20%26%20Interior/BACK1VLN.TLB

Thanks for building this thread, it's looking great!
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 06:10:42 AM »
The link for Kaz Keith's Village Night backdrop... ... is mistyped.

Fixed it. Thanks for the heads up!  :)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 06:14:07 AM »
also the darius at sea 2 on this sticky doesn't work properly. I checked it many times, and then used the one from his mod Ship of horror and it works from there. BTW the at sea 2 in his mod is marble 3.. and it works.

Can anyone confirm this and/or tell me what exactly is wrong with the At Sea 2 TLB here, please? I wasn't able to reproduce the error myself yet, probably because I don't know what I should look for.

anything