Author Topic: Problems with my old Module  (Read 18885 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Problems with my old Module
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 08:40:08 AM »
Thank!

I think I will go with "The Sect", thus staying "true to the original".

Short question from someone who only ever had to deal with bugged rest events: What's a reasonable time and percentage setting for a rest event in an area with roaming monsters? So that it wouldn't be too hard or too easy, since that was the level of difficulty I was aiming for. ;)

Update on the game:

• I probably need to fix the magic shops, they sell too much weird stuff.
  • The German text is beyond repair. There's nothing wrong with the content itself, but it's hard to read because I constantly left out the spaces after commas and full stops... to save text space. Makes it hard to read. Also, there's a lot of what in Germany is called the "Deppenapostroph" ("idiot's apostrophe") and an overabundance of exclamations marks (according to Terry Pratchett a sure sign of madness). I'd need to fix that and go through all the events anyway, so I willl fix that in the translation.
  • I tested the updated VGA-graphics and they look great
  • I'm astounded by the amount of care and detail that I put into things that the player will probably never even find. That's one of the great things about the game.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:54:48 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 09:20:15 AM »
I like the title, "The Sect".

You could make things easy on yourself and create a couple of "safe" spots the players have reasonable opportunity to find, and make the rest of the area "no rest". Otherwise you have to be either arbitrary in your numbers or devise some sort of formula based on hostile and predatory monsters in a given area, patrol and hunting patterns, etc. Give higher percentages to areas closer to lairs, trials, and watering holes than those deeper in the territory. Areas closer to non-hostile civilizations would have lower percentages.

I really don't have any hard numbers to give you, to be honest.

I'm glad you like the updated VGA graphics.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 09:24:42 AM »
Short question from someone who only ever had to deal with bugged rest events: What's a reasonable time and percentage setting for a rest event in an area with roaming monsters? So that it wouldn't be too hard or too easy, since that was the level of difficulty I was aiming for. ;)

A 10 percent chance every hour means that a party will probably be able to rest long enough to recover most--if not all--spells before getting interrupted.  This seems reasonable to me, but you might want to playtest it first.

Or, you could go with a higer percentage over a longer interval: 20 percent chance every two hours, or 50 percent chance every four hours.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »
You could make things easy on yourself and create a couple of "safe" spots the players have reasonable opportunity to find, and make the rest of the area "no rest". Otherwise you have to be either arbitrary in your numbers or devise some sort of formula based on hostile and predatory monsters in a given area, patrol and hunting patterns, etc. Give higher percentages to areas closer to lairs, trials, and watering holes than those deeper in the territory. Areas closer to non-hostile civilizations would have lower percentages.
The safe spots already exist: Because of the rest bug, they were  dearly needed. Usually, the game would tell you where  there's a "safe spot to rest". I think I can scrap that now and leave it to the player to find out. ;)

When I set an area to "no rest", the the party won't be able to fix, and I need my fix.

A 10 percent chance every hour means that a party will probably be able to rest long enough to recover most--if not all--spells before getting interrupted.  This seems reasonable to me, but you might want to playtest it first.

Or, you could go with a higer percentage over a longer interval: 20 percent chance every two hours, or 50 percent chance every four hours.
I'll try that and see how it turns out. 10 percent every hour sounds about right.

Thanks

Ben J
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »
Art question:

My game uses the well-known "Dalelands" map that comes with UA. I can't co anything about that.  However, what I want to do is alter the map to include a city square in the upper left corner (in the "desert"), where one of major cities of the game is.
However, I tried to screencap and re-import the dalelands pic, but it completely destroyed the color-cycling. How do I do it?

Thanks

Ben J
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 03:38:47 PM »
You might check the art resources at the ftp site:

http://frua.rosedragon.org

It seems like every bit of artwork in UA has been exported at some point or another.  Then, you just modify that version without changing the palette and import it over the other one.

EDIT: Sorry, apparently I missed the part about the "color cycling" or, at the very least, misunderstood it as "palette."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:57:22 PM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 04:15:32 PM »
Or try looking at the BIGPIC.TLB (or whatever file the maps are stored in, someone please chime in) with TOOLBOX (Read me) to learn the settings of the color-cycling, and re-apply them when you import your new map with TOOLBOX again.

See hans' advice in this thread.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:17:43 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »
TLB *grumble grumble*  >:(
TOOLBOX *grumble grumble*  >:(

Google search for "Deluxe Paint 2E" or "DPAINT2E.ZIP"  ;D

If you can figure out how Deluxe Paint 2E works, then you will be able to create color cycling graphics with the same tool the original UA designers used. You can even enjoy the mysteries that are the LBM image format.

Seriously, you can have multiple color cycling ranges without having to "figure anything out".
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 09:27:59 AM »
Is DP2E in the public domain now? I used to own it way back when. I used it along with Paint Shop Pro 3.1, but since PSP was soooo much easier for me to work with, i did very little with DP aside from stamps.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 02:22:53 PM »
My game uses the well-known "Dalelands" map that comes with UA. I can't co anything about that.  However, what I want to do is alter the map to include a city square in the upper left corner (in the "desert"), where one of major cities of the game is.
However, I tried to screencap and re-import the dalelands pic, but it completely destroyed the color-cycling. How do I do it?

Try this:
  • Download and install TOOLBOX.  (You will need to run it through UA Shell.)
  • Screen cap and edit your pic using your preferred image manipulation program.
  • Open UA Shell and load your design.
  • Without running your design, import your new map using Autery's TOOLBOX progam.
  • TOOLBOX will give you color-cycling options.  Play around with the settings until you're happy with the result.
Good luck!

Offline hans

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »
Try this:

Personally, I always run TOOLBOX by itself.

• Without running your design, import your new map using Autery's TOOLBOX progam.

I just drag the newly created *.TLB file from the TOOLBOX folder and drop it into my design (*.DSN) folder.  Since it's a drop-in art file, I don't even need to apply the design again using UAShell for the new art to show up.
 ;)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 04:56:37 PM »
Try this:

Personally, I always run TOOLBOX by itself.

From what I gathered Ben J can't run UAShell, at least not the with German version of UA 1.0 he owns. I always run TOOLBOX from the UA game folder, without the help of UAShell, and still TOOLBOX automatically puts the created .TLB in the folder of the currently applied design for me (I don't know if that's got anything to do with UAShell installed though... probably).

TOOLBOX will give you color-cycling options.  Play around with the settings until you're happy with the result.

Rather than play around with the setting, I believe you should be able to load the default .TLB with TOOLBOX and write down the settings for use with your own pic later. Ain't that so, hans? At least I believe that's what I did to determine the color-cycling of the torch / fireplace walls, after you told me about it.  :)

[EDIT:] Oh, wait, actually I just used the settings YOU found out for me, heh. Anyway, I guess that means you were able to get them with TOOLBOX, right? And... if someone would feel extraordinarily charitable and altruistic and confident with TOOLBOX, perhaps he or she could do the same with the settings for Ben J's map?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 05:02:56 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline hans

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 06:38:18 PM »
Quote from: Olivier Leroux link=topic=597.msg2588#msg2588/

Rather than play around with the setting, I believe you should be able to load the default .TLB with TOOLBOX and write down the settings for use with your own pic later. Ain't that so, hans? At least I believe that's what I did to determine the color-cycling of the torch / fireplace walls, after you told me about it.  :)

[EDIT:] Oh, wait, actually I just used the settings YOU found out for me, heh. Anyway, I guess that means you were able to get them with TOOLBOX, right? And... if someone would feel extraordinarily charitable and altruistic and confident with TOOLBOX, perhaps he or she could do the same with the settings for Ben J's map?  ;)

By starting the TOOLBOX Import process for an existing piece of *.TLB art, you can find out what its color-cycling values are.  For this map, you could import from UA's BIGPIC.TLB file, stopping (ESC) at the Dalelands.  In this case, it will list the 1st Range as having Delay=9, 1st Color=176, and 2nd Color=190.  You can still Cancel the Import at that point, having the info you need for your replacement.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 08:25:32 PM »
I knew there wass noone more charitable, altruistic and confident with TOOLBOX than you, hans!  :D

It shouldn't be much of a problem to get your new map color-cycling now, Ben J. In case it still is, with the info kindly provided by hans even I would be able and willing now to create this .TLB for you. :)

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 01:55:50 AM »
Thanks for all the info! :)

I own a copy of UA version 1.2 in english by now, that's how I noticed that the guided tours no longer work the way they used to.

I found some versions of the Dalelands map in the FRUA image gallery, but all of them have already been maipulated to look different than the original.

It would be logical for my game to have a city square in the upper left corner, because everybody knows where the orc capital is located. ;)

So I will try it with the TOOLBOX and see if I can get it to work. Doesn't sound too difficult. If I still fail, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben J.

Released designs:

The Sect

anything