Author Topic: Problems with my old Module  (Read 18887 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Problems with my old Module
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »
Hi!

I'm new to this Forum and I have a few questions regarding my old module which I originally created in 1994/95 with version 1.0 of FRUA (the German version 1.0 of FRUA, to be exact).

It is called "Die Sekte" and it's a pretty big game. I have recently rediscoverend it and would like to upload it to http://frua.rosedragon.org/

However, when playtesting it, I ran into some problems:

• The "guided tour" events don't work in the updated version 1.2 of FRUA. This breaks the game in the very first city (and on a lot of other occasions). Is there some way to make it work without having to recreate large portions of the game?
  • The camp events don't seem to work properly. If you set an event to happen with a 1% chance after 250 minutes, it will happen after 250 minutes in any case. So if I want monsters to attack while the party is camping, I can only choose how long it takes unitl the monsters attack, the program completely ignores the random percentage.
    If I ignore the "percentage" option in the global options menu and set the individual event on "random", the progam still interrupts the camp after 250 minutes, even if the random event does not happen.
    Is there a way around this bug? Is this a specific bug of FRUA version 1.0?
  • German letters Ä, Ö and Ü are not displayed in the english version of FRUA. The game displays other characters instead.

The game seems to work fine with the German version 1.0, but I guess nobody owns this version anymore. And the camp event-bug really annoys me!

Can someone help me with these problems?

Thanks

Ben J

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: Problems with my old Module
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:39:06 PM »
Guided Tour - I recall there was a way to get it to work properly. Danged if I recall what it was. Somone else here will surely know .. Ben? hans? Olivier? hehe

Camp Events - I assume you mean Rest Events for the Global Info for a particular Dungeon module? I do not know why it would trigger for you every time. I just tested out in my UA 1.2 with Zone 1 set to trigger a text event 1% of every 250 minutes. I then tested in Test mode and rested a total of 9 days and several hours before it triggered. Raising the percentage seemed to make it rigger more often.

I've no idea why yours is not working properly.

German letters - Will the game be in German? If you simply need to use some German words mixed in with a predominantly English text, you could redo the font and eliminate some unused characters, replacing them with the special Germanic ones.

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 04:06:14 PM »
The camping bug you described was indeed something specific to version 1.0. Also in 1.2, events following the Guided Tour had to be on the destination square, as opposed to chained after the Guided Tour event (humourously, this also ended up breaking an event in Heirs to Skull Crag).

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 04:48:21 PM »
Thanks a lot! You are a great help.

German letters - Will the game be in German? If you simply need to use some German words mixed in with a predominantly English text, you could redo the font and eliminate some unused characters, replacing them with the special Germanic ones.
Yes, the entire game is in German. Back in 1995 i didn't even think of being able to download a patch of frua 1.2 from the internet someday. FRUA version 1.0 was the only thing I had.
Now, when I update the German program to version 1.2 I get a very weird mix of English and German in the game and menus.

Camp Events - I assume you mean Rest Events for the Global Info for a particular Dungeon module? I do not know why it would trigger for you every time. I just tested out in my UA 1.2 with Zone 1 set to trigger a text event 1% of every 250 minutes. I then tested in Test mode and rested a total of 9 days and several hours before it triggered. Raising the percentage seemed to make it rigger more often.
and
The camping bug you described was indeed something specific to version 1.0.
Wow, version 1.0 truly was full of annoying bugs. Now I know why I never got the rest events to work properly.
In my old design, I set all the camp events to 1% in 250 minutes because of this... so the game would give you at least some hours before the monsters would invariably attack.

Either way, my module is truly screwed up:

I could leave it to work with version 1.0, but this would mean that you would always be attacked by monsters after 250 minutes of resting in certain areas of the dungeons and overland.

Or I could update it to work with FRUA version 1.2, which would mean that I would have to
  • search all 36 Dungeons for guided tours and edit all the events that follow them.
  • look through all of the Global Info menus for all dungeons and adjust the rest event settings
  • replace all the letters Ö, Ü and Ä. I could as well translate the whole damn thing when I'm at it...
That's a lot of work for a game that I considered "finished" 15 years ago.

But it would be a shame if I didn't get it to work, because it was quite a good game with a big world that you could roam around freely and explore for the most part, and also quite a bit of humour.

Of course, not a single hack in it (no internet...) and it uses all of the default art (and I mean all of it). ;)

Special question regarding the guided tours in version 1.2: How do I prevent an "event at the destination" from happening before you are being guided there (if it's in a spot that you could access before)? Do I need to "use up" a quest event for that?

Why did they have to change that anyway?

Thanks a lot

Ben J
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:56:50 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 05:43:39 PM »
If your game was translated to English, I am very sure many folk would love to play it!  You could locate an English copy of the base game to update to version 1.2. Other than eBay or someplace, you may have a hard time finding it. Some consider it abandoned.

Someone could help you with the font, I'm sure, should you need one with those Germanic letters.

I've recently updated much of the default artwork. Feel free to plop the newer versions in. The fresh look of them might inspire you to work on the translation. ~.^

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:25:36 AM »
  • The "guided tour" events don't work in the updated version 1.2 of FRUA. This breaks the game in the very first city (and on a lot of other occasions). Is there some way to make it work without having to recreate large portions of the game?

Sadly, there is no way to make these events work.  In UA 1.0, the Guided Tour event worked by having the destination events placed on the same square as the original Guided Tour.  After 1.2, the Guided Tour was changed (I don't know why) so that all destination events fire at the destination.  I guess it makes sense, but it broke a lot of older modules.

About the only thing you can do is recreate these events at the destination so that they fire correctly.

In regard to your issue of having the the events not fire if the player steps on the square before taking the guided tour, you can use the Special Item event to temporarily give them a special item called "Guided Tour." This indicates they are on a guided tour. You set the destination events to only fire when they have the special item.  Then, take it away at the end of the chain...and then you can re-use it as many times as needed.  That's about the only way to pull it off without a Quest Stage event that I can think of.

• The camp events don't seem to work properly. If you set an event to happen with a 1% chance after 250 minutes, it will happen after 250 minutes in any case. So if I want monsters to attack while the party is camping, I can only choose how long it takes unitl the monsters attack, the program completely ignores the random percentage.
    If I ignore the "percentage" option in the global options menu and set the individual event on "random", the progam still interrupts the camp after 250 minutes, even if the random event does not happen.
    Is there a way around this bug? Is this a specific bug of FRUA version 1.0?

That's definitely a 1.0 bug.  Used to irritate me that it didn't work right (since it worked fine in the Gold-Box games). 

Problem is, if you programmed the game in 1.0, updating your FRUA to 1.2 might not fix it.  I'm not 100% sure on that, though.

• German letters Ä, Ö and Ü are not displayed in the english version of FRUA. The game displays other characters instead.

That's probably because those aren't letters that are used in the English language.   Only time I've ever seen those letters is in foreign words...so it stands to reason that the programmers of UA figured they wouldn't be needed.  Those letters are so infrequently used, I'd bet that the majority of people in the United States don't even know how to make them appear when using a standard computer keyboard (but I know it can be done).

The game seems to work fine with the German version 1.0, but I guess nobody owns this version anymore. And the camp event-bug really annoys me!

Well, I'm bummed to hear that there isn't a German version of the UA Community out there.  (I actually didn't know the game had been translated to German, so it's nice to discover that, at least).

Makes me wonder if there are any other UA Communities in the world...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:30:18 AM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 04:56:27 AM »
Converting Guided Tour Events from 1.0 to 1.2

You don't necessarily have to recreate the events at the destination: I think Dan Morton's GEOAID might allow you to move the events from the guided tour chain to the square where the tour ends. Just make sure you have a backup copy of your design when you work with it.

About the German letters

Like Vix said, if you don't want to translate the game, your best bet is probably to edit the font and replace the inappropriate characters that show up instead of Ä, Ö, Ü with custom images of these letters, thereby creating a "German" font. Don't ask me how it's done but some people here know how and would be able to do it.

A lot of work

You will know best if it's worth the effort and if you think there's an audience for your design that recompenses your hard work. You should keep in mind that there are three things that might severly reduce the number of players: (1) it's German, (2) it's vanilla, (3) it's old, that is perhaps not up to today's standard of designs. On the other hand you really seem to like it and believe in it yourself (even 15 years after its completion), so other players might enjoy it too. And your complaint about the limited text issue is another proof to me that this might be something worthwhile, something you really put thought in, with story, description and dialogue, more than a prejudiced guy like me would expect from an early 90s design that claims to make use of all dungeons.  ;)

Perhaps, if you decide to put some more work in it anyway in order to release it (this community welcomes any new entry to the UA File Archive), you could think about a remastered version, with some new graphics or at least Vix' VGA conversions of the default art (maybe you might want to use enhanced version of some combat icons, too), and translated into English. I think it would definitely get more attention then. Of course I also say all of this out of a personal interest, so don't take my word for it (I'm one of the few here who are able to play a game in German but the default graphics would probably put me off).

Anyway, I'd be glad to help you in any way I can, if my schedule allows for it, even with the translation.

About a German UA community

I had the German V1.0 copy of the game too but once I found out all the exciting new designs on the internet were in English and on top of it, the German V1.0 wasn't really compatible with UA 1.2 (and UAShell!!!) I stopped working with it. As far as I know the UA File Archive contains a single design in German, and beside me (yes, the French name's actually a pseudonym) there might be some other German players and designers in this community who make use of the English language. I don't think there's a German UA community, for two reasons. First, even this international, English speaking UA community is comparatively small, and of its few members just a handful is actually creating designs. Second, it seems the German version was never brought to 1.2, so it remains buggy and incompatible with UAShell (major drawbacks in my book that would have been enough to arrest the development of a German UA community if there ever was one). 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:02:02 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 01:34:07 AM »
Hi!

I'm glad a community like this still exists. This is really helpful.

As Oliver Leroux said, a German UA community does not seem to exist. Most of the Gold Box games were never translated, I know only of translated versions of Pools of Darkness and FRUA (there's a box shot of the German version of it here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/unlimited-adventures/cover-art )
On top of the usual bugs in version 1.0, this one had additional "translation bugs": Every time your party would die, the program would say (in German): "The party the whole party has been killed." The "elfin chain" has been translated as something that sounds like "elven necklace" (that's why you can buy it a the jeweller's store in my game), and some of the event descriptions in the editior (those that were not in the manual) were almost unintelligible.

Quote from: Vix
I've recently updated much of the default artwork. Feel free to plop the newer versions in. The fresh look of them might inspire you to work on the translation. ~.^
This sounds great. Where can I find the updated art?

I'm tempted to do something about the art, especially the beholders. In my game, I used all the monster icons but renamed a lot of them, put them in different contexts and altered the stats. Somehow, renaming the Bugbear to "Worzen-Tobel" or the Otyugh to "Schrompfe" never bothered me, but it was difficult to imagine the beholder to be anything other than a beholder, so I might replace the beholder art by something else.

Quote from: ProhpetSword
In regard to your issue of having the the events not fire if the player steps on the square before taking the guided tour, you can use the Special Item event to temporarily give them a special item called "Guided Tour." This indicates they are on a guided tour. You set the destination events to only fire when they have the special item.  Then, take it away at the end of the chain...and then you can re-use it as many times as needed.  That's about the only way to pull it off without a Quest Stage event that I can think of.
Thanks, I will try it this way. But this means that I would have to lift a quest item from somewhere else in the game, since I used them all up. But that's because, at the time, I couldn't get the "quest stage" events to work because the german description was so weird. So each time the party made progress in the game, the game would give you another invisible quest item. But it worked... I just had to keep track of all the different quests.
Problem is, if you programmed the game in 1.0, updating your FRUA to 1.2 might not fix it.  I'm not 100% sure on that, though.
I tested the game in version 1.2 and the rest events now work the way they're supposed to, which means that in the unaltered game you can now rest for several days until somehting happens.

Quote from: Oliver Leroux
You don't necessarily have to recreate the events at the destination: I think Dan Morton's GEOAID might allow you to move the events from the guided tour chain to the square where the tour ends. Just make sure you have a backup copy of your design when you work with it.
That sounds great, I will try that. Is it in the FRUA file archive?
You will know best if it's worth the effort and if you think there's an audience for your design that recompenses your hard work. You should keep in mind that there are three things that might severly reduce the number of players: (1) it's German, (2) it's vanilla, (3) it's old, that is perhaps not up to today's standard of designs. On the other hand you really seem to like it and believe in it yourself (even 15 years after its completion), so other players might enjoy it too. And your complaint about the limited text issue is another proof to me that this might be something worthwhile, something you really put thought in, with story, description and dialogue, more than a prejudiced guy like me would expect from an early 90s design that claims to make use of all dungeons.  ;)
I's definetly not up to the standards of many of the newer, hacked designs. But it does indeed use all of the dungeons, even the infamous number 36, although only for the "ending scene". And I think if I had more dungeons to work with at the time, I would have added more stuff to the game, I remember one ot two sub-quests that I had to drop from the game because there was no room for them (especially a quest involving two neighbours who hated each other so much that each one would hire you to kill the other). One city was split into three maps because there was a zoo and a library in it that used up most of the text. Other cities had, among other things, an arena where monsters an humans could "legally" fight each other to the death, an (illegal) game parlor or the "world-famous shoppe where you can't buy anything".

Approximatley a third of the game (ore more) consisted of optional sub-quests. The (faily linear) main plot was designed so that it was possible to finish the game without havng to solve any of the other stuff. The more sub-quests you decided to take on, the easier the main plot got, since most of the sub-quests rewarded the player in some way.

Perhaps, if you decide to put some more work in it anyway in order to release it (this community welcomes any new entry to the UA File Archive), you could think about a remastered version, with some new graphics or at least Vix' VGA conversions of the default art (maybe you might want to use enhanced version of some combat icons, too), and translated into English. I think it would definitely get more attention then. Of course I also say all of this out of a personal interest, so don't take my word for it (I'm one of the few here who are able to play a game in German but the default graphics would probably put me off).
I'm considering uploading two versions of it: The original German game, optimized for version 1.0 and the "director's cut" in English for version 1.2 with updated graphics. :D But creating that would take a long time. Right now I'm in the middle of playtesting the old game once again. Sometimes the game makes me go back to the editor to tamper with some of the more over-the top silliness, but for the most part it holds up pretty well.

Anyway, I'd be glad to help you in any way I can, if my schedule allows for it, even with the translation.
Thanks a lot!
The translation won't be a big problem, it will just take time, but maybe I will need help with converting it to version 1.2, especially with this GEOAID tool.

bye

Ben J

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 01:39:39 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 04:09:59 AM »
(Somehow the "Insert Quote" option isn't working for me at the moment, at least not with posts of that length.)

"The party the whole party has been killed."

Well, it adds more pathos to the statement.  ;D

Where can I find the updated art?

here (PICA)
here (PICB)
here (PICC)
here (PICD)

and here (PICE)

Somehow, renaming the Bugbear to "Worzen-Tobel" or the Otyugh to "Schrompfe" never bothered me

:D Reminds me of the neologistic monster names in Walter Moers' fantasy books. A pity only a few could appreciate it.

Maybe I will need help with converting it to version 1.2, especially with this GEOAID tool. Is it in the FRUA file archive?

Yes, here (and this is the accompanying text file). It's written for use with UAShell, read the instructions for installation to see how to access it. It's been a while that I used it but I remember I was able to figure it out by myself (or with the provided readme), it wasn't too hard to understand. The most important thing is to know th number of the dungeon you want to load and work with. I think "Dungeon 1" was 5, so "Dungeon 20" would be 24. I'm not a 100% sure about this but it's probably in the readme, too.

It's definitely not up to the standards of many of the newer, hacked designs.

It doesn't have to be hacked to be up to today's standard. I was just thinking of typical flaws a lot of designs from back in the days have in terms of story-telling, immersion, balance, wrong use of events etc. E.g. the ones where you start in your average town without knowing why and what to do, the designer has thrown in some stores without any description that sell all kinds of improbable items, either too expensive or too cheap, and every single step you're assaulted by a horde of monsters that seem to roam the town freely. There might be 36 dungeons full of this but no one will ever play through all of them. But of course I realize it's got nothing to do with the period the design was created in but with the creativity of the designer, and your game already sounds quite original. I'd definitely check it out. :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 04:17:49 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 09:09:22 AM »
Thanks for the links to the updated art. Is there also a complete set of the default art that comes with UA for download?

Reminds me of the neologistic monster names in Walter Moers' fantasy books. A pity only a few could appreciate it.
I love Moers' books! Although, when I created my game, the fantasy ones were not written yet. Maybe there is a slight Terry Pratchett influence in my game, though it is a lot more mean-spirited in parts than Pratchett would ever be.
The existence of a "thieves' guild" was a direct Pratchett influence, I think.

Yes, here (and this is the accompanying text file). It's written for use with UAShell, read the instructions for installation to see how to access it. It's been a while that I used it but I remember I was able to figure it out by myself (or with the provided readme), it wasn't too hard to understand. The most important thing is to know th number of the dungeon you want to load and work with. I think "Dungeon 1" was 5, so "Dungeon 20" would be 24. I'm not a 100% sure about this but it's probably in the readme, too.
Thanks, I will try that. Could save me a lot of work.

It doesn't have to be hacked to be up to today's standard. I was just thinking of typical flaws a lot of designs from back in the days have in terms of story-telling, immersion, balance, wrong use of events etc. E.g. the ones where you start in your average town without knowing why and what to do, the designer has thrown in some stores without any description that sell all kinds of improbable items, either too expensive or too cheap, and every single step you're assaulted by a horde of monsters that seem to roam the town freely. There might be 36 dungeons full of this but no one will ever play through all of them. But of course I realize it's got nothing to do with the period the design was created in but with the creativity of the designer, and your game already sounds quite original. I'd definitely check it out.
I think I took great care that the player would not feel lost. In the original gold box games the towns had a lot of empty houses and rooms, which sometimes annoyed me. So, in "Die Sekte", I made sure that every house in a town had at least a descrptive text (even if it was just a zone event telling you that a peasant lives here). Shops and important buildings would always have signs outside, which allowed me to invent a lot of weird names. I still have to laugh at the guy whose name was "Wurstbrot".
Monsters would never attack you inside a town, unless there was a reason for it (being drunk and frustrated that your fellow orks have just been killed in the arena would be such a reason).
The party starts in the first town with a clear goal, but I also made sure that you could just turn around and go exploring the overland and adjacent towns, although this would not be advisable until you get at least some decent weapons and armor (the party starts in level 1 with very sparse equipment).

But there are some magic shops in the game that sell strange stuff. I think the prices were reasonable, although you don't have much choice since the price level of the shops should be the same everywhere (within the same town, at least), or the patient player could make a fortune just by trading items from one shop to another.

Perhaps, if I'm through with playtesting the German version, you could give it a try. Maybe you find things that could be improved in the updated version.

However, I'm already in the process of revising the game. Today I changed the portrait of an NPC to a different one that I found in the UA archive. It always bothered me that he had the "rider" portrait, even though you never see him on horseback.

The updated art looks great and I think I will import most of it into version 1.2 of my game... Some of it will remain the same, though. I love the old Troll portrait (trolls feature heavily in the game, they even have their own distict culture and speak a special dialect, also they curse a lot).

Must resist the tempation to create all-new art... maybe in a new module, someday. ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:31:36 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 09:38:50 AM »
Must resist the tempation to create all-new art...

Aye, that's a temptation I seem to be defenseless against...   :P

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 10:53:02 AM »
Hi Ben J, and welcome to the UA community!

It seems that all your questions have been answered, and you have found the art in the UA File Archive but I wanted to point out the FRUA Image Gallery, if you have not already viewed it.  This website allows you to browse various art by category and is very helpful, although it has not been updated in some time.  It should give you some great ideas if there's any other default art you are not satisfied with.

Also, from your description of your design, it sounds like it has been very well thought out and made in the Gold Box tradition.  I will definitely play it if you release a UA 1.2-compatible version of your design.  Please keep us updated, and don't hesitate to ask for more help.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »

Also, from your description of your design, it sounds like it has been very well thought out and made in the Gold Box tradition.  I will definitely play it if you release a UA 1.2-compatible version of your design. 

Yeah, I'm quite excited about this now, too. Readers of Walter Moers and Terry Pratchett can't be bad designers. ;)

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 08:24:08 AM »
Hello again!

Quote from: Olivier Leroux
Yeah, I'm quite excited about this now, too. Readers of Walter Moers and Terry Pratchett can't be bad designers.
We'll see how you think about that after playing the module. ;)

Joking aside, it's not a pure comedy adventure, but it does have a lot of funny elements. Recently during my playtesting I had a long conversation with a vampire that had a definite Pratchett vibe to it. When you have forgotten many of the things you did, your own game can surprise you. :)
But I don't want to pitch your expectations too high, the quality of the comedy is maybe not of Pratchett caliber.

Quote from: DesertScrb
It seems that all your questions have been answered, and you have found the art in the UA File Archive but I wanted to point out the FRUA Image Gallery, if you have not already viewed it.  This website allows you to browse various art by category and is very helpful, although it has not been updated in some time.  It should give you some great ideas if there's any other default art you are not satisfied with.
Thank you, great link!
There's definely art in my game that I'm not satisfied with. Maybe I can find a pic that looks like an old fisherman in the Image Gallery, because there's one in my game but he doesn't look anything like an old fisherman.

Replacing (not updating) the art could be tricky, though, because I used a lot of the images in a different context than intended by the creators of UA, and some of them twice or more. I remember that the gold hammer represented a kind of big golden key in my game, so the replacement pic shouldn't look too much like a hammer. Similarly, the hobgoblin pic was used for seedy taverns where monsters would stop off, so I should not use the VGA-mace-wielding Hobgoblin for that. Since there are many similar instances of this, and because the game is so big, I think I will go with the updated versions of the original pics, unless the use of a certain picture is very controlled (a character who has a unique portrait and who only appears in a single place, like the old fisherman).

Also, from your description of your design, it sounds like it has been very well thought out and made in the Gold Box tradition.  I will definitely play it if you release a UA 1.2-compatible version of your design.  Please keep us updated, and don't hesitate to ask for more help.

I appreciate your encouragement very much.

Right away, I have the first request for help: The title.
While "Die Sekte" sounds good in German, I don't know if the direct translation, "The Sect" is any good. Does it sound okay or should I maybe change it?

Thanks

Ben J
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:29:53 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 08:34:05 AM »
Right away, I have the first request for help: The title.
While "Die Sekte" sounds good in German, I don't know if the direct translation, "The Sect" is any good. Does it sound okay or should I maybe change it?

"The Sect" sounds good to me; it reminds me of movie titles like The Keep or Das Boot.  If you are not happy with that, how about calling it "The Sect of _______" (whatever the name of the sect is)? 

Or a lot of pen & paper adventure titles use descriptive words as well (like The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh or The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan), so put an adjective in your title also: "The _________ Sect of _________"

anything