Author Topic: Having Trouble Running FRUA in Windows XP? Try this DOSBox alternative!  (Read 4698 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
The biggest problem with running filters is, depending on your system and video card, you may encounter a lot of lag and frame-skipping.  It won't affect a game like UA too much, but if you use DOSBox for anything else, you may not like the results.

It works for some people.

Myself, I prefer the games to look the way that they originally did, blocks and all.  And I like to go full screen. 

Either way, both these configurations should help, depending on what you want to do.  If you back up your configuration file, you can mess around with the settings to get exactly what you want.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Sir Baskum

Re: Having Trouble Running FRUA in Windows XP? Try this DOSBox alternative!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 04:43:08 PM »
Hello everyone!

WARNING!   VDM Sound 2.0.4 is not good with UAShell in XP.   I upgraded to this version and lost my full music/sound no matter what I tried.   In fact, with both Music and Sound effects set to Adlib/Roland w/ Soundblaster effects it caused the dreaded one step and done result.   So there must be some conflicts that 2.0.4 created with Windows XP or UA itself.

So I uninstalled and went back to my trusty VDM Sound 2.0.1 and the world is all good again. :)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 04:49:31 PM by Sir Baskum »

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 05:05:56 PM »
Hmmm, has anyone had problems with edits not being saved under DOSbox? This was a problem with me when trying to make Library of Segrob, and at that point I had to run UAShell directly from WinXP, an option I won't have under Vista.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 05:29:43 PM »
I think most people have problems editing via UAShell under DOSBox. For most things I run UAShell directly from Vista. For editors that won't work that way, I copy the program file(s) into the design directory or the UA root directory, then run them through DOSBox without UAShell.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

anything