Author Topic: STICKY: Known UA Bugs (by Dan Autery)  (Read 3174 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
STICKY: Known UA Bugs (by Dan Autery)
« on: February 12, 2009, 11:35:19 PM »
Known UA Bugs
by Dan Autery

Reprinted From UANL #7

With the UA version 1.2 patch disk, many of the original bugs in FRUA were fixed, but it's evident from the discussion area in AOL that people are still having problems. Likewise, even in the newer uploaded games, the authors seem to be missing bugs as well. This is just to inform those of you who might be interested of some of the ones I've found. The list isn't all inclusive, but you're welcome to e-mail me (or send additional comments to the NL) regarding any others. Likewise, if anyone (esp. hackers) finds a way to fix them, please let me know:

1. Potions of giant strength -- these have a limitless duration.  (Thanks to all of you designers--including the author of "The Dungeon"  --who've included them in their magic shops... Unfortunately, you'll  never see them in my own designs).

2. Thrown weapons -- any weapon that can be thrown and retrieved after battle will increase the xp award for a combat. This may not be very important in high-level adventures or with non-magical weapons, but it should be kept in mind for lower level games with +1 or better daggers, hammers, etc.

3. Bundled or joined items -- items that are joined and then sold in a shop are worth more than the sum of their individual values--at least, so the game seems to think. In effect, if 2 items are joined, they can be sold at 4 times their worth, if 3 are joined, they sell for 8 times, and so forth. Designers who don't want their adventurers to acquire a lot of money quickly should consider this.

4. Dungeon 36 -- once you've saved this level, 'do only once' events will never occur. It's still possible to use the level, but keep this in mind. Other strange bugs have been reported in regards to this dungeon. If your mod. isn't 36 dungeons long, don't use it.

5. NPC Says event -- you can't tie an event to 'happen' if this 'doesn't happen'. Presumably, the game treats this event as if it happened, whether the NPC is in the party or not. This doesn't prevent the event from happening in the future if it's set to 'do only once,' but it does make it impossible to set up a chain of events on the NPC not saying something.

6. Add/Remove NPC event -- same as above.

7. Sleep events -- if you have more than one sleep event in the same zone, the second and succeeding events will only happen if  whatever triggers the chain always happens. Ie., if the first event in the chain is supposed to only happen at night and the next only happens during the day, the party will never be awakened during the day. A simple way to fix this is to insert a chain before the events. If the chain is set to "always happens," the other two events will work as desired.

8. Monster immunity to confusion -- selecting this in the monster editor seems to have no effect (confusion spells work on them quite well). There may be a way around this, but I haven't found it yet. Interestingly, setting the monster's intelligence and wisdom to very low numbers (such as what low-level thieves have) seems to improve their saving throws.

9. Monster ability scores -- adjusting these numbers higher than  the default seems to have no effect, at least so I've found with dexterity and strength. I've seen this mentioned on-line, as regards NPCs and "who tries" events, so I assume other abilities might be the same. Ability scores can be raised by copying from a monster who has the desired scores or higher.

10. Shops -- on a similar note to #3, this isn't really a bug, but it bugs me (as a designer, not a player) when I see it: If you design a module with several shops in it, don't set one to sell things at x2 and the other at x10. Unless the module is a demonstration of capitalism and good business sense, and it doesn't matter if the characters have all the money they could ever want by walking from one store to the other - the lowest priced store should be set to no less than 1/2 the highest priced store. The only exception is for non-magical arrows, bolts, darts, and javelins. Since these can't be re-sold, a shop that sells only these items can reasonably be set to far lower prices than the other stores.

11. Summoned Monsters -- If the monster type chosen in the global info of a module happens to have a fear aura, an interesting effect will occur...whenever characters go into combat on that level, whatever monsters they face will have to save vs. that fear aura (just as if it were radiated by a party member). Note that a monster needn't be summoned for this effect to occur. This presents some interesting possibilities for designers -- the ability to reflect the party's growing (fearsome) reputation being but one. Keep in mind, though, that most monsters (by default) are not immune to fear. Thus, using this intentionally may require some monster stats to be modified -- by giving immunity to fear -- or they won't fit into the expected mold (undead being a prime example).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:45:43 PM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: STICKY: Known UA Bugs (by Dan Autery)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 10:29:57 AM »
   9. Monster ability scores -- adjusting these numbers higher than  the default seems to have no effect, at least so I've found with dexterity and strength.

Hmm...does this mean a monster with Dex 10 does not really have Dex 10, but that it's really 17 or thereabouts? It would explain why supposedly slow monsters so often act before my 16-18 Dex guys, as I've whined complained about a few times.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 02:16:01 AM »
When playing Call of Destiny I checked some of the monsters.
Goblin Warriors have a Dex of 10, their base AC is 10, they get a Dex bonus, and their only armour are Shields, which should translate into a Dex of 9. Instead their AC is 6.
This makes a lot of difference for low level parties when facing hordes of monsters which should have been weaker, and it is damned annoying!
It seems the monsters have a base Dex and Str of 18, even if the Monster Editor says 10 or 3.

EDIT: just checked a Purple Worm in game with the Monster Editor, and both have AC of 6 (Dex 10)
So the bug only affects humanoids, perhaps?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:26:50 AM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 09:31:14 AM »
I'm fairly certain that the Armor Class of those monsters have been manually set to match the AD&D Monster Manuals stats.   The book actually gives no attribute statistics for monsters, which is why they are all set to default values. The stats are there for NPCs or for designers who want to create custom monsters.

Here is the stats for a goblin from the AD&D Monster Manual:
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »
Hmm, still doesn't explain why a Goblin Warrior listed as having AC 10 in the Monster Editor has an AC of 6 (7 if removing Shield) in the game.
I tried setting the AC to 7, but then the in game AC became 4, so it's not hard coded.

Also messed around with the the stats. The STR and DEX stats have no effect whatsoever. 3 or 30 Dex gives the same result, same with 3, 18(99) or 30 STR: same damage inflicted.

There is something not right, but I can't pinpoint it.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 02:32:29 PM »
Did you use the BUGFIX.DSN script to edit the real values? Apparently the FRUA programmers screwed up and default FRUA doesn't let you make the changes, but if you use BUGFIX.DSN's version of SCRIPT.GLB (I think) you can change them (you'll see two sets of values pop up).

You can also paste a monster with the desired DEX, STR, etc in--I used to paste thieves in all the time when I wanted to make a character with high DEX.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 02:52:25 PM »
Did you use the BUGFIX.DSN script to edit the real values? Apparently the FRUA programmers screwed up and default FRUA doesn't let you make the changes, but if you use BUGFIX.DSN's version of SCRIPT.GLB (I think) you can change them (you'll see two sets of values pop up).

You can also paste a monster with the desired DEX, STR, etc in--I used to paste thieves in all the time when I wanted to make a character with high DEX.

All this was new to me.
Where can I find BUGFIX.DSN?

Offline Null Null

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 05:32:59 PM »
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uashell/

I forget if it's SCRIPT.GLB or STRG004.DAT that makes the difference, but it lets you edit abilities for real. You also get all the abilities the FRUA designers didn't bother to make accessible through the default--Fire Shield Zap (a la Blue Bane Minion), Fire Shield Hot or Cold, Resist Fire and Resist Cold, Globe of Invulnerability, 'Super Fire Breath' (Thorne's breath weapon), etc.

The catch is that the Who Tries and Who Pays events disappear, so you wind up switching back and forth.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 06:36:47 PM »
:Brofist
I'll check it some time.
But are you saying Fire Shield and Globe doesn't work either?

Offline Null Null

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 08:25:58 PM »
No, you can give your complex monster all the abilities an 18th level wizard would have after preparing for battle--though they won't be dispellable. (In this it seems to take after Pools of Darkness.) They're just not in the default FRUA interface to be added--but if you leave them in there, they will persist.

Ideas include:
Blue Bane Minions or other monsters that counterattack on a hit (Fire Shield-Zap)
Fire or cold-using monsters weak against the other ability, like in many JRPGs (Fire Shield Cold, Fire Shield Hot)
Lesser Rakshasas only immune to spells through the 3rd or 4th level (Minor Globe, Globe of Invulnerability)
Fire Minion-like monsters that do extra fire damage on a hit with any attack, not just the 2nd (Fire Touch)
Super-dragons with the Super Fire Breath attack (Super Fire Breath)
Monsters that always go first (25 DEX)

You can also use the full set of negative effects to create monsters that are coughing, afraid, slowed, or what have you. Not sure what this is useful for, but you might find something. (A monster with Silence 15' Radius on it might be an interesting foe against a party with many front-line spellcasters, or that has surrounded the party.)

anything