Treasures of the Savage Frontier
0 (0%)
Buck Rogers XXV: Countdown to Doomsday
1 (6.7%)
Buck Rogers XXV: Matrix Cubed
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 24, 2009, 12:38:05 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Favorite Gold-Box Game?  (Read 11080 times)

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
Re: POLL: Favorite Gold-Box Game?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 07:24:58 PM »
I notice people tended to like the more open-ended games, like Curse, Death, and especially Pool (where you could sneak into the castle and fight the final boss right at the beginning...)

Pool: Really loved that one, so many chances to do things differently and delicious optional fights (the captain in the Buccaneer's Base?) and easter eggs (the fake Tyranthraxus has a longsword +5? Why? Oh well...) and silly minor dungeons.

Curse: That was good too, each 'section' had a different flavor, from plants-and-priests with Mo to drow and dragons with Dracandros to standard D&D mag beasts/aberrations with Dexam. Even (and this is subtle) the colors were different...

Secret: Ugh. I still am not sure I should have forced myself to finish the Eastern Crevasses past the frost giant village.

Pools: I'm a high-level junkie, as you may have noticed from my output :), so I enjoyed this one, and the apocalyptic threat was really kind of fun. About as close to a fantasy 'Wasteland' as you can get, honestly. I was kind of disappointed they didn't give the demons spell-likes, though I guess that would have been too much trouble. They did a great job with the society-building on the drow drawing on some of the well-known backstory of that race... and it was fun running into Sasha, Vala, and Marcus again. I still don't see why I couldn't have fought Bane. I mean, I'm 30th level, and this is 1st ed...OK...not even a demon prince?

Champions: My first Goldbox game, and some nostalgia for that reason. (I honestly thought I'd fight Takhisis at the end!) The whole military thing actually kind of ticked me off...if I wanted to follow orders from a commander I'd have joined the army. And Myrtani's bit of pre-final-fight boasting is still my fave (I am done fencing with you through my minions. Now you face the master. Prepare for your doom. And there was some nice dramatic tension...the vaguely Nazi-like atrocities with the slaves reminds you these really are the bad guys.

Death: I always thought this was an awfully underappreciated game, until I saw the polls...the morbid humor (not only will you lose your loved ones, they will be reanimated from the dead and come to kill you...only in fantasy, folks), the 'night of the living dead' feel others have mentioned, the genuinely tough dave's challenge at the end...the spectral dragon? oy!

Dark: Yeah, I'm a high-level junkie, so of course this one was fun. It was interesting how the linearization of XP at very high levels basically meant you had to have single-class MUs even though multi-classing is much more feasible in the Krynn games. I was a little disappointed I didn't get to fight the Dark Queen and have a chance of winning. Of course this had all sorts of great bits like the underwater combat (has anyone figured out how to do this in FRUA? Is there a hidden byte somewhere? Apparently all the fire spells still have it coded in...) and, oh god, the spellcasters actually have precast spells (making one wizard a pretty dangerous foe, restoring some of the awe associated with the type I always thought was lacking when you could just drop a fireball on them). The Abyss was great too...the wrong icons, the options that make no sense, the endless wraparound plain with the wall you can only find at a certain time and only walking in a certain direction...physically impossible but that's exactly the point, isn't it, the place is unnatural?

Gateway: I dunno. The ending fight was clever but I didn't think that much of the rest of the game. As people have said, the overland fights were dumb. The elemental theme was nice but underused.

Treasures: Underappreciated, I think...the red, blue, and green crystals were a clever mechanic (I had a heck of a time killing the Zhents first) and the lucky papers were fun. The gender equity was also nice (how come there are no female enemies elsewhere? Seems to me if you're going to have amazons helping you in every game you should have bad gals too). And I rather enjoyed the multiplicity of human enemies (all that loot!), and Farr Windward.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 08:03:47 PM »
Of course this had all sorts of great bits like the underwater combat (has anyone figured out how to do this in FRUA? Is there a hidden byte somewhere? Apparently all the fire spells still have it coded in...)

Yes, Darius enabled underwater combat for some of his Ravenloft series of adventures.

Offline Rendclaw

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 12:46:57 PM »
Mine is a draw between CotAB and SotSB, with DKK coming in slightly behind them.

I replayed CotAB and SotSB so many times on my Commodore 64 back in the day, it was ridiculous. Same goes for CoK, and I was annoyed as all hell when DKK wasn't going to be released for it. I had to wait years and years to play it. PoR was good for a start, but it was too raw in its user interface, and SSI tried to do too much with it. They got it right with SotSB.

The funny thing is that Wizard's Crown and Eternal Dagger were the precursors for the AD&D game. Jazz it up graphically, strip it down a little as far as what you can have your characters do in combat, and voila.

----------------
Now playing: foobar2000 v1.0 beta 1
via FoxyTunes

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 01:04:26 PM »
I replayed CotAB and SotSB so many times on my Commodore 64 back in the day, it was ridiculous. Same goes for CoK, and I was annoyed as all hell when DKK wasn't going to be released for it. I had to wait years and years to play it.

But Death Knights of Krynn was released for C64. I owned it. See some screenshots here.

The four Goldbox games not released on C64 were "Dark Queen of Krynn", "Pools of Darkness", "Treasures of the Savage Frontier" and "Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed".
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Rendclaw

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 01:31:08 PM »

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 07:36:42 PM »
I replayed CotAB and SotSB so many times on my Commodore 64 back in the day, it was ridiculous. Same goes for CoK, and I was annoyed as all hell when DKK wasn't going to be released for it. I had to wait years and years to play it.

But Death Knights of Krynn was released for C64. I owned it. See some screenshots here.

The four Goldbox games not released on C64 were "Dark Queen of Krynn", "Pools of Darkness", "Treasures of the Savage Frontier" and "Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed".
|sf>Yup, I second that notion.  I also played DKK on the C=64 format (I also played Gateway and Treasures on the Amiga. :) ). 
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline Mannast

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2010, 12:56:47 AM »
I actually have some of the goldbox games on roms for c64 emulators, in addition to my dos versions for DosBox.  And why are there no votes for Hillsfar?  <absolutely not serious expression on face>

Anyone else play Pool of Radiance on NES?  It was a bit different, but had much the same flavor.  I don't know if any of the other Goldbox games made it to NES.  i remember Wizardry 1 and Ultima IV were avaialble.

Personally my first goldbox was Curse and its still my favorite to replay.
Mannast (aka J. Romane)
---------------------------
Designs -
Astranna
Darklands
Westlands of the High King
Xalderon's Journey
Mid-Level Crisis

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2010, 02:22:03 AM »
And why are there no votes for Hillsfar?  <absolutely not serious expression on face>

Man, these old D&D action games (Hillsfar, Heroes of the Lance, Dragons of Flame) were horrible.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline ghaaroth

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »
Anyone else play Pool of Radiance on NES?  It was a bit different, but had much the same flavor.  I don't know if any of the other Goldbox games made it to NES.  i remember Wizardry 1 and Ultima IV were avaialble.

There was Buck Rogers for NES, and it looks very different from the original (no 3d mode, all action happens on combat grid). I might try that rom someday.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »
There was Buck Rogers for NES, and it looks very different from the original (no 3d mode, all action happens on combat grid). I might try that rom someday.

Howdy Ghaaroth!

If I may submit an AD&D-based rom for play:  TurboGrafx16 beheld Order of the Griffon, a very Warriors of the Eternal Sun-esque title that boasts nostalgic-enough graphics so that I capped some and reworked them for my own use in FRUA.  Roms for game and platform both are available publicly with a quick search.   ;)

Offline ghaaroth

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 06:12:55 PM »
Yeah, I played it. Like Warriors of Eternal Sun, it's D&D, not AD&D-based :P Karameikos.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 12:02:13 AM »
Yeah, I played it. Like Warriors of Eternal Sun, it's D&D, not AD&D-based :P Karameikos.

Eep I stand corrected!  Heh... and Black Eagle Barony was my favorite name when I was a wee 'un.  (shameface  :-\)

Offline T.

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »
I've not played Warriors of the Eternal Sun or Order of the Griffon! Are they any good?

Hmm... You probably mean Countdown to Doomsday on the Genesis, which is as you describe. No Buck Rogers games on the NES.

Offline ghaaroth

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 01:05:01 AM »
I've not played Warriors of the Eternal Sun or Order of the Griffon! Are they any good?

Quite so. Order of the Griffon plays like a typical low-level GB game, while Warriors of Eternal Sun is sort of a cross between Dark Sun and Eye of the Beholder (IIRC it had turn-based tactical combat for outdoors in 3rd person, yet realtime combat indoors in 1st person, go figure what they thought)

Hmm... You probably mean Countdown to Doomsday on the Genesis, which is as you describe. No Buck Rogers games on the NES.

Buck Rogers XXV: Countdown to Doomsday, duh?

Offline T.

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 02:16:28 PM »
Very cool, glad to hear they're good. WotES sounds especially neat.

Buck Rogers XXV: Countdown to Doomsday, duh?

:/ Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but...

My point was that the game (yes, the game being Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday) is for the Genesis, not for the NES. Really, you can check! There are no NES Buck Rogers games (I promise).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:18:27 PM by T. »

anything