Author Topic: missing text file?  (Read 645 times)

Offline Zad

missing text file?
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »
Hi,

I used to use Dungeon Craft a long time ago -- maybe a decade?  I made a pretty elaborate adventure in FRUA, a modern-day fantasy .  Now it's finally past version 1.0, so I'm trying again.  I want to design adventures for my friends.  However, I'm having the same trouble I had a few years back in DC, "Unable to load config.txt file."  I really, really want to try this program.  How do I fix that?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: missing text file?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »
I'm going to move this message to the Dungeon Craft forums, where I think it will probably get you the answers you need.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 03:38:04 PM »
thanks, ProphetSword. :D

Welcome back, Zad. :)

The format for Dungeon Craft designs has changed since .914. If you design is using any engine .930 and later, you have to have your design in the new format.
That format is
You_Design.dsn
--Data
--Resources
--Saves

The config.txt file goes in the Data folder in the design.

Here are a couple of links that might help (but don't hesitate to ask for anything here).
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2516.0
https://sourceforge.net/projects/uaf/files/version%202.77/

Offline Zad

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 01:48:16 AM »
Thanks ProphetSword.

Hey Manikus!  Nice to "see" you again.  No, I had no designs in .914.  By the time it got that far, I was lost and couldn't make it work.  Sorry. 

I assume, I hope correctly, that any design I start will be in the new format.

What's the difference between data and resources?  Would artwork and music files be resources, and the details of the game design would be data?

I always have my browser set up to download files to the desktop.  Last time around, I had the impression that might be one of the issues.  So they're not starting out in whatever download folder Windows automatically puts them in.  Is that, indeed, a problem at this point?

So if the config.txt file goes in the data folder in the design, where do I get the file to put it there?  I downloaded Dungeon Craft and tried to run it, but got the message about the missing config.txt file right off.  So, there is no design in which to place a data folder.  I suspect that if I created a folder named "data" in a folder with the name I intended to give to a design, then when I actually manage to create the design, it will ignore all that and start over.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 04:38:24 AM by Zad »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
Resources: all of your graphics and sounds go here
Data: all the .dat , .lvl, blk, and .txt files go here
Saves:  saved characters and games are in here

For the engine to work properly, the DC executable must be in the design folder that you want to play, there must be a config.txt and game.dat in the Data folder and several of the required graphics files in the Resources folder.

Your_Design.dsn
--Data
   config.txt
   game.dat
--Resources
--Saves
DungeonCraft.exxe

In the full download on the link I provided above, look at the TemplateDesign.dsn in the editor folder. This is exactly how the layout should look, plus, it contains all fo the default files (art, sounds, databases, config.txt)

Offline Zad

Yay!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 02:06:35 AM »
After downloading from that link, I was able to open a new design.  Thank you, thank you so much!

Would you please tell me the best place to get a big selection of wall art, and is there a tutorial for the GDPL?  Again, thanks.

Oh -- I found some art on the Magic Mirror site.  There were even some backgrounds made by me!  I'm really curious to see them.  Unfortunately they're in a format that I can no longer view.  What program could look at, and convert, a .pcx file?

Looking further, I'm starting to think the standard format for DC is .pcx.  Is that right?  Anyway, maybe I can see it in the editor.  Although probably the resolution is higher that what my design is currently set for.  I'll experimnent...

I changed the design to what I thought was the most likely resolution, the second highest, and tried to load one of the backdrop images, but it said one of the parameters is wrong.  Hmm.  I can try all the different resolutions, but not tonight.  Thanks for your help, and good night.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 03:40:42 AM by Zad »

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 04:32:39 AM »
The best format for DC is really png.

I use photoshop elements to convert to and from pcx. GIMP is a very impressive free program that I think can convert to and from pcx format too.

Offline Zad

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 05:02:28 AM »
Thanks!  I'll try that.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 02:35:45 PM »
Steve is right, png is the prefered format for graphics. GIMP, PaintShop Pro and Photoshop all support pcs, png, jpg, and bmp - the formats that DC uses.

The default resolution is 640x480. If you look in the TemplateDesign.dsn/Resources folder, you will see examplars of all the art types for that resolution.

Good places to get wall art? The Magic Mirror archive is little used by DC folks these days, mostly because our file sizes are large enough to make uploading an issue, so many people including myslef post in the forum. If you search through the art sub-forum you should find several hundred walls (not to mention uite a few backdrops, small pics and icons). Also, check out the following sites:
http://manikus.reonis.com/index.html
http://dhost.info/dinonykos/
http://dhost.info/uatu/dungeoncraft/
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/dungeoncraft/index.shtml
http://uaf.sourceforge.net/smd/smd/index.htm

Offline Zad

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 02:49:37 PM »
Thanks, Manikus.  I remember that in the old days I designed a template for making taller walls, and deeper ones, like if you were climbing down a shaft or looking up at a multi-story building.  I remember it didn't work well, never looked right from every angle.  Are there any wall templates now?  I used to find that project pretty fascinating.

I will check out the art department.

Have downloaded GIMP; it'll take me a while to learn to use it but I am glad to have it.  The old art program I had, Paint Shop Pro 10, is gone with a dead old computer; haven't done any computer art since that time.  So it will take time to relearn.

By the way, I was able to look at those old backgrounds I created and they're not very good.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 03:01:57 PM by Zad »

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »
Welcome (back?) to the forums. If you are looking at doing wall artwork, I would like to point out that in addition to the GIMP you may want to check out this post --> http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1881.msg25077#msg25077

That link directs you to the wallgen tool discussion. It will take a texture and convert it to a wall image, and has several options and configurations. If you would like to see just what this is capable of, you should check out the pics on this link as well --> http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3381.msg47759#msg47759

ST the linker

Offline Zad

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 09:29:31 PM »
That looks wonderful!  And it looks like there is a second story too.  Yay!  Dowloading the tool now.

And, thanks for the information and the link.  *smiling*

I'm wondering about resolutions.  I like to look at detailed pictures in as big a window as possible, so that would be a high resolution, I guess.

Manikus, you are a really good artist.  Hmm.  I'm trying to download some of your art from links you provided in the thread "Proof oc Concept: 1024 Wide" but it is asking me for a password.  "Enter password for manikus on ftp://ftp.reonis.com".  Would these files be available somewhere else?

You know, it's been so long since I have done anything with DC that I'd better try to make a basic design before I attempt anything fancy.

Slight hitch:  I'll need to install Java again to make this thing work.  Java makes some things not work and I've heard it makes your computer more vulnerable to malware.  Oh well, I really want this.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:05:28 PM by Zad »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »
You shouldn't need Java for anything to do with DC.

I don't know about that link for the 1024 wide, I'll look into that. There is an important rule to follow for the DC viewport, if you want to make your own layout - the width of the viewport needs ot be divisible by 11.
Okay, should be fixed. :D Try http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3381.msg47759#msg47759 now.

edited to add:
I just realized that you meant Java for the Wall Generator
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:33:51 PM by manikus »

Offline Zad

Thanks for the new links. *smiling*
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 11:28:53 PM »
Eric, thank you.  I know you must be busy, but you're so helpful!  I downloaded those things and will go look at them now.

I won't be designing my own layout though; too technical for me.

I hope I'll be able to contribute to this community effort, but it'll be a while before I'm up to speed.  Thank you for your very great patience.  Oh!  One thing I could help with is proofreading, if you need that.  I'm a great speller and pretty fussy about punctuation and grammar.  If anyone involved in the project would like that.  And if someone needs testing done to make sure a thing is usable by the computer illiterate, I'm definitely the old lady for the job.

Oops, there's a slight hitch.  I downloaded the art.  My editor is set to the 1024 wide format, using the config.txt you provided.  The wide format is beautiful; I like it a lot.  But when I try to load one of the walls you made, it says "One or more of the parameters passed to the function are incorrect."  I know it does work, because I can see it in that link.  What have I done wrong?

Update:  I tried the wall generator, which makes a nice... but with the same error message when I try to put it in my DC design.

Actually, regarding the wall generator, there is a slight issue.  Each section of wall is shaded darker around the edges.  Is it supposed to do that?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:29:32 AM by Zad »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 12:31:09 PM »
Error messsage:
That seems like an odd message to me for what you are doing. Perhaps Paul can shed some light on the subject.

Shading:
Post an example and post the settings you are using in teh wall generator and I should be able to let you know what is going on.