Author Topic: RELEASED: Oddities  (Read 214 times)

Offline hans

Re: RELEASED: Oddities
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 12:28:11 PM »
...There were two occasions when the party was given a choice, and I wonder whether these choices might have been able to give the story a different turn, and under which conditions, because the way it went on my playthrough was not exactly commendable for my PCs and didn't make them look so good. Not that there's anything wrong with that, seeing that it's a linear story, I guess they are somewhat predetermined in their roles.

Part of the origin of Oddities was a simple question I once had: "What's Dracula's motivation?"  In the Hammer films especially, with Christopher Lee, it seemed like Dracula was nothing but bloodthirst incarnate, except maybe once in awhile with the additional aspect of vengeful.  Was there nothing else going on in his head?  That was an idea I wanted to explore, tho not with Dracula per se. 

So, while the motivation of the Vampire Hunters is always to get their vampire, by hook or by crook, the conversational choices that they are given were primarily designed to illuminate their adversaries' points-of-view.

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 12:08:52 AM »
I did one new wall for Oddities, a town well replacing the fuller walled water piece of the WoodB set.  It turned out that this well is barely seen in the mod, however.

Originally, I had planned to allow complete freedom of movement in the town, but time constraints led me to change it into a faux Town Event, the first time visiting, and when returned to, a Guided Tour that only skirts the well.  All that work for barely nothing...   :P   

Folks who might be needing a nice well in one of their future mods might have a look at this one, and maybe investigate how I set it up in the mod...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:13:59 AM by hans »

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »

I noticed the well, and that it was color cycling back there in the distance--It looked great from what I could see.

I'll have to go into the editor and take a closer look.  I've wanted access to something like this for a lot of years--Thanks for sharing it, Hans!

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:38:18 PM »
I bet that if I dive into that well, there is treasure at the bottom... or a Crystal Ooze!

There have been many instances when I could have used this "well wall".
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:50:28 PM »
I took this design (taking place in the Ravenloft setting?) for a test ride, but was rather appalled to see Girdles of Giant Strength for only 500 Gold. Can this be right? Or is the design so brutal that you need the Girdles?

Also, to nitpick, on one of the first screens the burgomeister says "Poor, Yambo". I assume it should be "Poor Yambo"?

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 11:59:21 AM »
I took this design (taking place in the Ravenloft setting?) for a test ride, but was rather appalled to see Girdles of Giant Strength for only 500 Gold. Can this be right? Or is the design so brutal that you need the Girdles?

Also, to nitpick, on one of the first screens the burgomeister says "Poor, Yambo". I assume it should be "Poor Yambo"?

Originally, I had the burgomeister saying "Poor, poor Yambo."  However, when I changed it, I inadvertently left that comma.  This will be fixed in v1.2. 

I was surprised, myself, to see that Girdles are cheaper than Guantlets of Ogre Power.  I had nothing to do with the pricing. 

Apparently, yes, the design has been described as that brutal, if not more so.  There are only a half dozen combats, but... hoo-boy.   :-[ 

Do understand that this is my first experiment with allowing players the options for how hard or easy they like their fights.  I confined the effects of their choice to an initial Give Treasure event and then what level of items they might find in Shop events. 

In the future, I may experiment further in allowing effects to numbers of enemies in Combats, or even to different versions of certain enemies, or even whether some Combats may occur at all. 

In this Challenge mod, under that time constraint, I made what seemed the easiest adjustments. 

Feedback and ideas are welcomed.  I don't plan to tinker further with options I gave in this mod, but I do plan to continue such experiments in future ones. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 12:37:50 PM by hans »

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »
Or is the design so brutal that you need the Girdles?

The difficulty in the (IMO) most brutal battle comes not so much from tough, hard to hit opponents, but from their numbers and their advantage over you by surprise and the ability to do several attacks per round. From my experience, it's helpful to have very good (that is low) AC; although having good hit chances in order to quickly decimate the opponents would certainly be of use, too.

And I think a mistake I made was putting my weakest characters in the back row, when they might have stood a better chance in the middle, since opponents attack from all sides.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:49:19 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline hans

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
A couple more strategy tips:

With only 6 combats, magical wands and necklaces can be used liberally. 

Rings of Blinking are highly underrated, IMO. 

Stinking Cloud and Sleep are good spells to try.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:28:30 PM by hans »

Offline hans

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 11:38:08 PM »
The difficulty in the (IMO) most brutal battle comes not so much from tough, hard to hit opponents, but from their numbers and their advantage over you by surprise and the ability to do several attacks per round. From my experience, it's helpful to have very good (that is low) AC; although having good hit chances in order to quickly decimate the opponents would certainly be of use, too.

And I think a mistake I made was putting my weakest characters in the back row, when they might have stood a better chance in the middle, since opponents attack from all sides.

I think it is important to protect your weaker PCs, as I assume they are your more vulnerable magic users. 

I actually Test replayed that fight without any magic items, using a saved game from before my PCs actually began adventuring, carrying only their "prosperous" default items.  I did memorize spells before the encounter.  Result: a victory, with one player knocked unconscious.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 02:15:09 AM »
I think it is important to protect your weaker PCs, as I assume they are your more vulnerable magic users. 

I actually Test replayed that fight without any magic items, using a saved game from before my PCs actually began adventuring, carrying only their "prosperous" default items.  I did memorize spells before the encounter.  Result: a victory, with one player knocked unconscious.

The one who got knocked unconscious first was always the mage, and often before he got a chance to do anything. When I won that battle, it was because I got lucky enough to have the mage cast a fireball before he went down.

Offline hans

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »
The one who got knocked unconscious first was always the mage, and often before he got a chance to do anything. When I won that battle, it was because I got lucky enough to have the mage cast a fireball before he went down.

I keep my weakest, most vulnerable member (invariably my single-class Mage) in the fourth slot of a 6-PCs-party.  This puts him in the middle of the second row, unless some unexpected obstruction in a Wilderness bumps him otherwise.  At his sides are usually a single-class Cleric and multi-class Cleric/Mage, both solidly armored.  When needed, these two wingmen will take a step back to shield the Mage from melee entanglements. 

I never like to go out with less than two PCs who can cast Mage Spells.  And only rarely will I chance going out with less than two who can cast Cleric Spells.

anything