Author Topic: REVIEW: Game42: Quest for the Silver Sword (by Ray Dyer)  (Read 202 times)

Offline hans

REVIEW: Game42: Quest for the Silver Sword (by Ray Dyer)
« on: March 23, 2017, 11:30:40 PM »
Another of (the unbelievably prolific) Ray Dyer's ten! entries into the One-Week Challenge (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3429.0), and continuing the "Thunder Rift" campaign, Game42: Quest for the Silver Sword is an exquisite design. 

Although small in scope, it is fresh, exciting, finely-detailed, and so fully immersive as to constitute a completely satisfying adventure. 

The art is very cool (in more ways than one). 

The new music enhances the gameplay, including one tune that is integral to the proceedings. 

The monsters are welcomely unusual. 

The plot twists and surprises admirably. 

And I loved an unexpected injection of ironic humor expressed by the big boss. 

In all, this is a really delightful mod! 

Thanks, Ray!   :hello2:

Offline Kaz-Keith

Re: REVIEW: Game42: Quest for the Silver Sword (by Ray Dyer)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 07:43:42 PM »
 * This review follows the designer's advise to run the Thunder Rift series (along with game07: B10 Assault on Raven's Ruin) in a particular order.

* Party rolled: Human female Paladin LG, Dwarf male Cleric LN, Centaur male Ranger NG, Gnome female Magic-User NN, Halfelf male Cleric/Magic-User CG, Halfling male Thief CN -- Ray's Realm allows such racial classing as part of the adventuring package and encourages his Realm players to mix in as many races and classes so as to enjoy the breadth and depth of any given adventure... so's I dids!

A word about the Thunder Rift modules: these adventures were created in 1992 (when some of us were youngers just starting to explore the game) and were meant to be a sandbox of sorts for DMs and players both new to the game.  They allowed for a lot of modification and were interconnected only by threads, to be filled and fleshed out by the DM running things, adaptable to any of the gameworlds.  As such, there is ample opportunity for Ray to put his Realmstamp upon them, which I am pleased to find to be the case.  I didn't think I would recall as much as I did about the wilderness spread of the adventures, but it didn't affect my play of them in the least.  Ray's done the project a fine service in his importation to the Realm, with custom music and graphics detailing each design individually. On to it, then!

Our last adventure done, we settled into a long carriage-ride to the next: the lands grew cold and desolate were we headed, to a rather inhospitable village hunkered down and barely acknowledging us... there wasn't even an inn to host us, and we were met by our liege in someone's private home.  A job being a job, we decided it could very well be worse, and listened to a woeful tale of calamity... the goal we were given lay in a ruined keep some ways to the north, the source of the local troubles to be sure.

This adventure proved to be rather lucrative in several senses, and the majority of our party attained the fourth level.  There were several places for thieves to shine, but only for those rogues who persevere: failing certain rolls doesn't necessarily mean then and there defeat, so I encourage other players to try and try again :)
  The keep is home to some creatively different enemies and events, which Ray's given his own style of polish to.  One could certainly avoid several of the encounters, but one would be missing out on some extremely memorable experiences!  I really loved the wrap-up for this adventure, which a player only sees once they 'exit' the village... so do yourself a favour and rest/save before leaving :)

* once we were done, our party visited the trainer and I [R]emoved each pc for importation into the next adventure.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: REVIEW: Game42: Quest for the Silver Sword (by Ray Dyer)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:13:08 AM »
I fully concur with everything hans wrote! Although I wasn't particularly fond of the sans serif, partially lower case font, I really loved some of the graphics used in this one. And I was impressed with the encounter design once again, especially all the class specific opportunities (even if they taught me the lesson that a fully trained thief can actually be useful in FRUA, and my carelessly multiclassing thief/m-u is no substitute - there goes my beautiful treasure, up in flames ...)  ;D

anything