Author Topic: Feature request for new event - Listen  (Read 160 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Feature request for new event - Listen
« on: March 22, 2017, 06:59:26 PM »
Recently, to refresh my memory on how $SWITCH and 4casE worked in DC, I was looking through one of my talk.bin files (the text version) and thought to myself for the umpteenth time that we could really use a Listen Event that did essentially what the th $LISTEN function does.

The event, as I imagine it, would be like the Password Event, but instead of comparing what the player typed with a predetermined string, it would accept any string and store it in an ASL that would be named by the designer when they placed the event. The designer could then use this ASL any place in the design that an ASL can already be used.

Example:
Designer wants to know the PC's mother's name to use it to spice up the gameplay.

Textbox in event:
"Hey dude, I was wondering what your mom's name is?"
Button/dialog to name ASL:
mom_name
Standard dialog for image:

The player sees the text in the textbox just like in a Text Statement event and then a place to enter text just like for a Password Event. When the player hits enter to input the text string, the engine sotres it to the predetermined ASL.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Feature request for new event - Listen
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »
If it works like the password event then perhaps
it can be done relatively easily.  Write me via email
when this reaches the top of your queue.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:13:41 PM »
That sounds great, thank you Paul.

I envision it being like the Password event except that the string entered by the player is stored in an ASL.

After we get through the several issues we are working on - spells via wands, TSetWall showing in combat and the point pool casting system - I will make a mini-mod for this and we can go from there.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 03:20:01 PM »
Would this be a good opportunity to mention the request for the option to replace "Enter password" in the Password event with another text?  ;D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 03:26:43 PM »
Would this be a good opportunity to mention the request for the option to replace "Enter password" in the Password event with another text?  ;D

It is a good place. ;) That is why in the first post I had suggested the use of a textbox. :D

I would think that Paul has already put a framework in place for the Enter password event - using a Hook to override the default message like we can do for other events.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 05:06:21 PM »
The "Listen" event concept seems like a good one. I wonder whether it would be better to call it something like "Enter Input" or "Enter Answer" rather than "Listen" - people who are familiar with the "Enter Password" event might be more likely to understand what it means?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:29:14 PM »
Thanks for your input Steve. That's a good idea. I was asking for it as a Listen event because that is better description for  Paul. :D We have a $LISTEN() function usable i nthe talk.bin.

I think "Enter Input" would work just fine. :)

anything