Author Topic: RELEASED: The Realm - Thunder Rift  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
Re: RELEASED: The Realm - Thunder Rift
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2017, 06:37:56 PM »
...I've uploaded a bunch of updated files thanks to your feedback.  I haven't done that in the past, but considering the effort you went through to post such an awesome feedback document (and my internet connection is a whole lot faster these days than it was back in the glory days of The Realm...); I figured I owed it to you!  :)

Updated on the archives.

Offline Ray

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 09:05:30 AM »
Thanks, Donnie!!!

...I've uploaded a bunch of updated files thanks to your feedback.  I haven't done that in the past, but considering the effort you went through to post such an awesome feedback document (and my internet connection is a whole lot faster these days than it was back in the glory days of The Realm...); I figured I owed it to you!  :)

Updated on the archives.

Offline Ray

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2017, 09:07:24 AM »

So, cool, Olivier!!!  ;D

I found that Bundling trick entirely by accident, too!  It's inherent in FRUA (and maybe Pools of Darkness?), but I think it may be one of Gold Box's best kept secrets!

The adder staff is save or die, every time you're hit, unless you're immune to poison.  It's a nasty, nasty weapon...and it appears a shocking number of times in the old Basic-game adventures!!!

First, I don't know why you got the message about freeing the prisoners if you hadn't.  That message is keyed to Quest 8, and Quest 8 is given when you free the prisoners.  All I can imagine is that I loused it up (despite keeping a pretty detailed list) and used Quest 8 a second time without realizing it.  I doubt I'll have time to go through in the kind of detail that I'd need to find that and correct it.  :(

Actually, I was kind of glad that the game remembered what I had forgotten, so I don't think it's that much of a problem. I found the prisoners before defeating the dragon, so one could think it was implied that I would get back to them before leaving, without me actually having to do it (even though I missed a short text event that way).

You mention that you're not a native speaker, but your mastery of the language is far superior to many (if not most) native speakers I know. 

To be fair to those, language - and particularly correcting language and giving feedback - is an essential part of my line of work. But I'm very flattered by the compliment, thanks!  :)

I learned most of what I know by reading, watching movies and playing games in English, so in a way your designs contributed to educating me as well.  (And AFAIK I have played all of them, so that's a lot of words!)   ;D

EDIT:
And I never stop learning, apparantly. I've decided to take my Thunder Rift characters through Nol's Judge Guild conversion series, since I didn't get a chance to play it yet and the level range seems fitting, and while I prepared my party for the adventure (I had actually forgotten you can scribe spells, your mention of spell research reminded me!), I found out that you can join several scrolls to a bundle. Huh. Unless this is specific to The Realm, I played FRUA for 20 years and never knew about this before. Makes me wonder what else I don't know. Btw, what does an adder staff do?