Author Topic: Ways to play Forgotten Realms  (Read 353 times)

Offline Moonbeam111

Ways to play Forgotten Realms
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:46:10 AM »
What are some list of ways to play Forgotten Realms that you know of besides on a computer?

Methods I know of: All have ups and downs to them.

Android
There is a thread for an android application for FRUA out there on these forums.
Pros: It works real well.
Cons: There is no sound. At least for me. (If anyone knows how to fix this though; comment below)

PSP
Pros: Semi-playable and does have sound if configured properly
Cons: Doesn't really have enough ram and cpu speed to play properly. Crashes frequently.

GCW-Zero
I saw another thread where someone was playing on a homebrew device called GCW-Zero.
Pros: I haven't tried it personally but apparently it works real well. Emulation, sound, everything.
Cons: It's out of stock and is very hard to find.

If there are any other game systems that can emulate UA please comment below! I would be interested in knowing! Then again, I suppose anything that can emulate DOS box might work.

Disclaimer: I do not condone any downloading of FRUA for free through various websites. Or homebrewing or anything of the such. Please purchase FRUA through GOG.com. Use at your own discretion!

Online ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Ways to play Forgotten Realms
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »
Anything that can run DOSBox or a port of DOSBox can run FRUA, as it isn't a very demanding application.  I know there's a port of DOSBox for iOS, but I haven't tried it on my phone (no desire to play FRUA on my phone).  There are Linux ports of DOSBox, too, so anything that has a Linux install can probably run it.  There are several handheld game devices that run Linux (like the Dingoo...and I know that because I have one).

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:05:55 PM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Moonbeam111

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:13:49 PM »
Anything that can run DOSBox or a port of DOSBox can run FRUA, as it isn't a very demanding application.  I know there's a port of DOSBox for iOS, but I haven't tried it on my phone (no desire to play FRUA on my phone).  There are Linux ports of DOSBox, too, so anything that has a Linux install can probably run it.  There are several handheld game devices that run Linux (like the Dingoo...and I know that because I have one).

That's interesting. How does FRUA play on your Dingoo? Pretty Good?

Oh and I have an Android but I'm thinking about getting an iOS. Would an iOS run FRUA very well? Android has no sound.

Online ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 06:22:06 AM »
To be fair, I never tried to play FRUA on the Dingoo; because I never did the Linux install with it.  I just know it's possible.  Same with iOS.  Haven't run DOSBox on it either, but again...I know it's possible.

The thing I did like about the FRUA port that someone did for Android was the way that the mouse was implemented, which made it really easy to use.  Could the lack of sound be an issue with the settings for UA in the FRUA directory?  Have you tried changing the sound card?

Offline Moonbeam111

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 07:57:41 AM »
I did try to change the sound card to the different sound settings that were possible (such as roland, pc speaker, soundblaster) but to no effect. The thing is, the developer states in the thread that the sound has been fixed in version "1.1", however when I download the apk its the "1.0" version (which he specifically says has sound disabled because of some issues). I wouldn't imagine you still have the "1.1" apk version on a perhaps old android phone or computer of yours would you? Everything else works fine; its just that the sound is not there.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:00:46 AM by Moonbeam111 »

Online ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 11:16:51 AM »
I might have it floating around.  Won't know until I get home, though (currently at the office).  If I do, I'll let you know.  Give me about six hours (if I haven't posted one way or the other by then, feel free to keep bugging me about it; because it means I forgot to look!)

Online ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
Here it is.  Version 1.1.  Let me know if it works for you...

Offline Moonbeam111

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:45:54 PM »
Thanks ProphetSword it works! Just had to change the sound settings from Roland to sound-blaster after installing and it worked like a charm.

Online ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 11:59:41 AM »
Awesome.   :blob10: :blob3: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7:

Now, get to work on playing some FRUA...

:pvm: