Author Topic: DIFF.TBL created outside of UAShell won't load  (Read 219 times)

Offline Amarande

DIFF.TBL created outside of UAShell won't load
« on: February 23, 2017, 02:14:48 PM »
As is known, you pretty much (barring, I suppose, obtaining a copy of old 1990s MS-DOS and using specifically that FC.EXE) can not edit CKIT directly via UAShell on a modern system. (Existing modules with DIFF.TBL files in them apply just fine, though.) If you attempt to do so, you get the infamous 3 byte DIFF.TBL file with just the 0 and all your hacks disappearing immediately after creation as UAShell fails to find FC and thus draws a blank.

It has been stated that the workaround is:

* take a manual backup of CKIT
* run the hacks directly from Dosbox
* go to a Windows command prompt and run FC by hand, then edit out the leading 000 and trailing colon from all addresses (easily done with search and replace in a text editor), and add the ending line with the 0.
* insert this file into the module directory as DIFF.TBL
* restore CKIT manually
* launch UAShell and apply module

... except what I'm getting instead is UAShell complaining "Error in patch file" and refusing to apply the diff.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the attached file's format, though - what am I missing?

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: DIFF.TBL created outside of UAShell won't load
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:27:53 PM »
The current process I use to create a DIFF.TBL is this:

- Apply the DSN you are working on through UAShell
- Exit UAShell
- Make the hacks to CKIT outside of UAShell
- Run "MakeDiffTbl.jar" by double-clicking on it in Windows

MakeDiffTbl is here and it requires Java:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2675.msg36972#msg36972

I say that it is a Beta version, but I have had 0 bug reports in the last 3 years.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:34:20 PM by Nol Drek »
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 02:02:54 AM »
I confirm I have been using Nol's "make diff.tbl" program with no problems for that whole time.

I usually run the hacks through UAShell (not separately through dosbox) but then alt-tab out without saving the changes and run Nol's program. This creates an updated diff.tbl. I always make lots of backups of my entire UA folder so that I can revert to an earlier version if I do things in the wrong order or anything.

It may take some trial and error to find the sequence that works best for you, and this may vary depending on which hacks you are trying to use.

For some hacks (eg using UGE, str_edit or textedit) I apply the design in UAShell, alt-tab out and copy the hacked ckit.exe to a working directory, make the changes I want then copy it back in and run Nol's program.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 08:20:48 PM »
Just out of curiosity, is it still policy that we specifically -not- alter and include the ckit.exe file itself inplace of using diff.tbl/alterations?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 08:45:13 AM »
Just out of curiosity, is it still policy that we specifically -not- alter and include the ckit.exe file itself inplace of using diff.tbl/alterations?

I think it is wise, given that FRUA can currently be purchased on GOG. Someone owns the rights, and I wouldn't want a designer to run afoul of copyright laws.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

anything