Author Topic: RELEASED: The Voice of Vengeance  (Read 1250 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: PREVIEW: The Voice of Vengeance
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »
DAY FIVE: Monday - February 13th, 2017 (PART THREE):

FINISHED!!

The module is finished.  All that's left now is a run through to play test in actual play mode.

So, once that's done, I should be ready for release.  So, it's possible I will be done early.  Just like the four-day challenge, I came in under time.

Be looking for the module to drop in the next day or so.

Total Time to Finish Project:  20 hours.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 08:47:05 PM »
Or, maybe not.  While doing a play test, the game appears to be broken in a weird way.  I'm not sure what to make of it.

Whenever I load the game, it tends to restart and play the DO ONLY ONCE stuff again, despite them all being tagged as DO ONLY ONCE.  Then, when I use a TRANSFER MODULE event, if there's an event in the new area (where you use the "Execute Event at Destination"), it will complete the event and then teleport the player to another location within the map...and I don't know why...as there is no event there to make that happen.

So, I'm stumped at the moment.  I'm trying to figure it out.  If anyone has seen anything like this before, let me know.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 11:51:05 PM »
Two questions come to mind:

1) Are you using version 1.2? You probably are and have been for many years, but version 1.0 can cause "do only once" bugs.
2) Do you have any large wall sets (bigger than 34K)? Very large wall sets can spill over into the event space, corrupting event data.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 07:54:31 AM »
1) Are you using version 1.2? You probably are and have been for many years, but version 1.0 can cause "do only once" bugs.

It's definitely not that, but thanks for covering all the bases.

2) Do you have any large wall sets (bigger than 34K)? Very large wall sets can spill over into the event space, corrupting event data.

Pretty sure this was the problem.  I have removed the walls, but it still didn't fix the issues.

However, I may be able to salvage the module.  So, I'll be spending the next few days trying to do that.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 10:44:03 AM »
I fixed the issue and play tested the game. I ended up putting the walls back in, though.  Since the damage was already done, I figured it might as well look pretty.

The file can be downloaded from the first message in this thread.

Offline Ray

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »
Congratulations, Ben! 

Looking forward to playing it!   ;D

Offline hans

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »
I'm also looking forward to playing it (and all the other 1-week-challenge UA mods to come), but not until after I finish my own on March 13th.   ;)

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 08:03:37 AM »
Started playing The Voice of Vengeance last night. I find the narrative style has some of that Savage Frontier flavor. I'm enjoying exploration of the sewers, and all the little details... pleasant and not so pleasant!

"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline Ray

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
Or, maybe not.  While doing a play test, the game appears to be broken in a weird way.  I'm not sure what to make of it.

Whenever I load the game, it tends to restart and play the DO ONLY ONCE stuff again, despite them all being tagged as DO ONLY ONCE.  Then, when I use a TRANSFER MODULE event, if there's an event in the new area (where you use the "Execute Event at Destination"), it will complete the event and then teleport the player to another location within the map...and I don't know why...as there is no event there to make that happen.

So, I'm stumped at the moment.  I'm trying to figure it out.  If anyone has seen anything like this before, let me know.

I've actually run into the opposite on my design.  If something is marked as DO ONLY ONCE, it doesn't run at all!

I wrote a copy of the offending dungeon over another dungeon slot, and the problem stopped.  It was Dungeon 11, and when I moved it to Dungeon 10, everything just started working again.

Does anybody have any idea what would cause that???

Also, side note: The stereotypical room with four trapped chests...sucks for the dude designing each one with an eye towards find traps, and thieves, and the possibility of failure, and then remembering that the whole thing has to know when the chest has been opened--either with or without the trap being sprung.  One is a drag, design-wise, but FOUR is pretty much ridiculous.  I'll just say this: 42, NE corner...took as long as some complete designs I've made.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »
I've actually run into the opposite on my design.  If something is marked as DO ONLY ONCE, it doesn't run at all!

I wrote a copy of the offending dungeon over another dungeon slot, and the problem stopped.  It was Dungeon 11, and when I moved it to Dungeon 10, everything just started working again.

Hacks, most likely.  In my case, it was drop-in walls that were bigger than 34k that had corrupted the data.  Any chance of that being the case here?

Also, side note: The stereotypical room with four trapped chests...sucks for the dude designing each one with an eye towards find traps, and thieves, and the possibility of failure, and then remembering that the whole thing has to know when the chest has been opened--either with or without the trap being sprung.  One is a drag, design-wise, but FOUR is pretty much ridiculous.  I'll just say this: 42, NE corner...took as long as some complete designs I've made.

Yeah, I know the feeling.  I had some lofty ideas for my design that I had to nix because they would have been too involved.  I would have spent the entire week doing just that, probably.

Offline Ray

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 08:06:10 PM »
I just recycled hacks from older designs.  I can't place my finger on what could have caused it.

I'm just glad that it was easy to work around...

More on topic, Voice of Vengeance looks really cool, Ben.  I can't wait to get a chance to play through it!

Hacks, most likely.  In my case, it was drop-in walls that were bigger than 34k that had corrupted the data.  Any chance of that being the case here?

Yeah, I know the feeling.  I had some lofty ideas for my design that I had to nix because they would have been too involved.  I would have spent the entire week doing just that, probably.

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 06:15:03 AM »
I've finished running through this module now. Some random typos/issues I found:

(This forum doesn't have spoiler tags? Oh well, will be vague enough)
  • A joinable NPC comes with a Long Bow, but can't equip it due to class
  • Dungeon 04: Text Statement at Col 6, Row 3: "Fighting" is mispelled
  • Dungeon 04: Text Statement at Col 8, Row 3:  Missing a space between "roof," and "clearly"
  • The final boss can surrender in combat due to low morale (just felt kinda jarring given its nature, plus the text after the battle clearly states it died)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:26:15 AM by Jadefang »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 11:42:36 AM »
I've finished running through this module now. Some random typos/issues I found:

(This forum doesn't have spoiler tags? Oh well, will be vague enough)
  • A joinable NPC comes with a Long Bow, but can't equip it due to class
  • Dungeon 04: Text Statement at Col 6, Row 3: "Fighting" is mispelled
  • Dungeon 04: Text Statement at Col 8, Row 3:  Missing a space between "roof," and "clearly"
  • The final boss can surrender in combat due to low morale (just felt kinda jarring given its nature, plus the text after the battle clearly states it died)

Spoiler tags would be nice.  Oh well.

Just so you know, I have addressed all four of these issues and updated the zip file located within this thread.  I will send an updated version to the FRUA archive as well.

Offline Dorateen

Re: RELEASED: The Voice of Vengeance
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 11:32:03 AM »
Finished the Voice of Vengeance today. A very good dungeon crawl, with multiple distinct locations. I had fun tracking down the source of the evil and uncovering its identity.

Our party's Halfling thief set off a couple of trap events! I think the best fight was in the orc area.

Thanks for making this module as part of the challenge.

"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline hans

Re: RELEASED: The Voice of Vengeance
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
Dorateen, and everybody, please also post your comments in the Module Reviews section (the first one will need to start the new thread for The Voice of Vengeance).  This helps future players because they will be looking there for good mod recommendations, rather than here.   ;)