Author Topic: Automapper Utility for Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Ishad Nha

Automapper Utility for Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2
« on: January 08, 2017, 06:21:33 AM »
Jonas Hirvonen produced the All Seeing Eye, an automapping and general utility for Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2. Currently it won't work for EoB III.
It can be found at:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/ase/
This page shows the ASE in action.

Needs a refresh function, currently once something is mapped, it stays mapped.
One approach is to make a backup copy of each Explored_##.dat file whenever you save the game. Then when you need to load, you shut down ASE and replace the relevant Explored_##.dat files with the backup copies. These files are found in the EOB1 or EOB2 folder (of ASE) as the case may be.
Deleting the Explored_##.dat file will get rid of the map for that level altogether. If you initially explore a new level after the last save is made, if you reload you will need to get rid of the map for the new level.

In EOB2:
Saving, there may be up to six EOBData#.sav save game files at once. ASE can detect which was the last one saved. You would want one folder for each set of Explored_##.dat files.
Loading, a menu will appear and the default choice will be the last game that was saved.

Needs ability to add finishing touches, walls where the party could not reach. There is an Explore Level function which explores the whole level, but it is excessive when you only want to tidy a few loose walls.

(Post edited to improve clarity.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:42:05 PM by Ishad Nha »

Offline Ishad Nha

Re: Automapper Utility for Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »
Now, the utility has a Backup save game function but that does not save the current Explored_##.dat files! This means that if you load a save from days before, the maps are all out of date and you have no idea where you have you actually been in that old save game!
By contrast, in the three later games, RL1, RL2 and MG: the automapping is saved with the save game.
I was able to devise simple Batch files to back up the files used in the game and to load a new game, they only use simple copy and delete commands.
Party may need to leave current level to forcibly update the files? It seems that Explored_##.dat files are only updated when you change levels. Most likely ASE uses more informal methods of tracking progress in between level changes. If it is directly reading the memory in the computer, it would need nothing more than that.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:09:29 AM »
This looks very interesting, thanks for posting.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 08:08:55 PM »
Jonas Hirvonen produced the All Seeing Eye, an automapping and general utility for Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2. Currently it won't work for EoB III.
It can be found at:
This page shows the ASE in action.

That's cool. And jhirvonen is active on these forums as well. Thanks for the utility Jonas!
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 08:00:37 PM »
This will be a stopgap until Jonas Hirvonen can fix things up...
He has not been active on the boards here since the 2nd.
Zip file contains the batch files and an explanatory readme file. It is meant for EoB1 but can be adapted to EoB2.

I am working on a conversion to EoB2. Now ASE is shut down by TaskKill and I will automate the choosing of save files for loading.

(Edit: attached files are removed as they are no longer needed.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:08:50 PM by Ishad Nha »

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »
New version 0.99 available at:
  • GOG-versions can be started from ASE. Also buttons for GOG-settings, manual and cluebook.
  • You can swap the order of the characters without ASE displaying an error.
  • Explored maps are now tied to saved games.
  • There's a peek function in the map right click menu. You'll get to see a glimpse of the full map for a short time but the map stays unexplored.
  • Cluebook hints added for EoB2. Probably a million of typos, I used some OCR'd text file.
  • For debug purposes in the map right click menu: monsters can be weakened to 1 HP or set to stone.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 07:09:54 PM »
Brilliant! I will now try it out.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:33:21 AM by Ishad Nha »

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 05:34:04 AM »
Making a Backup save is quite straightforward.

But how do you restore such a save?
I played through level 1 of EoB1, everything worked brilliantly.
I then shut down the computer totally, went off to do something else.
I came back and restarted the computer. EoB1 works properly, as it did before.
But ASE displays a blank map! (Explore Level produces a solid red map.)
The explored data, Explored_##.dat, files seem to be properly created and filled out.

I am playing the Gog version.
Your concept is quite valid, I was able to make it work with batch files.

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 01:23:42 PM »
Backupped saves are restored from the start screeen with the Restore to slot -button.

Explored maps are saved only when the user makes a save at the game (ASE checks the save game file dates). Then the files are saved to ASE_x-folder under the game's folder (where x is the save slot, 1 in EoB1, 1 - 6 in EoB2).

After a successful Search, ASE copies the explored maps and notes files from the ASE_x-folder to ASE-folder (under the game's folder).

Or that's how it's intended to work. There might be bugs of course.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 01:19:18 AM »
"Explored maps are saved only when the user makes a save at the game"
"Save at the game", that means choosing "Camp > Game > Save > Yes" in the EoB# menus? Does this include ASE's Backup saves? If not, player should save in EoB# immediately before making a Backup save.

I deleted the ASE folder and started all over again, it works once again.
The following time, it was blank map once again, I just deleted the ASE.dat file and it worked properly. Problem seems to be that file...

Contents of ASE.dat:
C:\OldGames\Eye of the Beholder\

DOSBox 0.74
$1000000
$F000000
$1000000
$F000000
$63292A2

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:01:14 AM by Ishad Nha »

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 02:43:50 PM »
"Explored maps are saved only when the user makes a save at the game"
"Save at the game", that means choosing "Camp > Game > Save > Yes" in the EoB# menus? Does this include ASE's Backup saves? If not, player should save in EoB# immediately before making a Backup save.

Yes, ASE checks the save game file dates and if there's a new save made ASE saves the save game file + explored map files to ASE_x-folder where x is the save slot number.
Backup just copies those files to a backup folder.

I deleted the ASE folder and started all over again, it works once again.
The following time, it was blank map once again, I just deleted the ASE.dat file and it worked properly. Problem seems to be that file...

That file is just the ASE settings (DOSBox title, search range etc.). Nothing to do with saving / restoring explored maps.

I just tried with EOB1 and it worked as planned.

- GAME: Load a save in the game.
- ASE: Select the save slot if game is EOB2.
- ASE: Search.
- ASE: If characters are found, the contents from the ASE_x-folder should have been copied to the ASE-folder under the game folder.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 06:55:26 PM »
"That file is just the ASE settings (DOSBox title, search range etc.). Nothing to do with saving / restoring explored maps."
The ASE.dat file seems to be generally stuffing ASE around. Nothing works at all in ASE.
The problem lies in line 9 only:
$653F2A2
Delete that and ASE then works as it should.

I am using a Gog copy of the game and I am on a Windows 10 PC.

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 09:17:54 PM »
That line is the address where the characters were found last time in the memory.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 10:37:22 PM »
Line 9 seems to vary a fair bit, currently it is $63A02A2 not $63292A2. Some sort of peculiarity is at work here.

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 10:45:12 PM »
Nothing odd there, characters are just found in different memory address. As I said, it's the last found location which is tried when a search for characters is made. If a search is successful that setting will be updated. Next time this address will be tested first. If characters are not found in there, a full range search is made.

Don't delete anything from that file. Otherwise settings will be read wrong. It's ok to delete the whole file in which case ASE falls back to default settings.

After a search ASE creates a file called Debug.txt which lists the addresses for characters and map data.