Author Topic: Stats for Secret of the Silver Blades humans and drow?  (Read 432 times)

Offline Outlander78

Stats for Secret of the Silver Blades humans and drow?
« on: November 02, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »
Hello.

I have been trying to find a list online of the names and stats for the human and drow opponents in Secret of the Silver Blades, but have been unsuccessful.  Do you folks happen to have any of that information?

thanks,
Andrew
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Ishad Nha

Re: Stats for Secret of the Silver Blades humans and drow?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 08:28:20 PM »
There are no lists that I am aware of...
Only "Drow" in SSB are the spider-like Driders.
A list of names could be drawn up easily enough. Just open MON1CHA.DAX, copy its contents into a text editor and delete everything that is not text. Repeating Bytes are handled by Run Length Encryption. Which can be removed by Simeon Pilgrim's DaxDump program:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1033.0;attach=3688

Decrypting the Monster records could be tough...
NPCs are Monsters until they join the party, hence they each have a listing in the MON1CHA.DAX file. Once they join the party they become party members. So you can compare their two records to decrypt their monster records. After that, you may be able to decrypt other monster records.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:30:41 PM by Ishad Nha »

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 10:01:52 PM »
Monsters are stored in the exactly same format as character records in save files. They're just encoded in to those MONxCHA files.

Here's a list of the GB character record formats:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/formats.zip

If you use Windows, there's a MonsterMod tool in Gold Box Companion included. With it you can browse (and edit) the monsters from all of the GB games. It handles the decoding/encoding automatically.

Screenshot:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/graphics/screen12.jpg

Gold Box Companion:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

Offline Outlander78

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 06:34:54 AM »
Thank you very much.

Offline Outlander78

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »
Thanks again.  That is a fantastic tool!

In case anyone was interested in the stats and does not want to look them up:

- Black Circle Warlock (8th level magic-user, dagger, darts)
 - Black Circle Necromancer (10th level magic-user, dagger, darts, bracer AC 6) - sees invisible
 - Black Circle Wizard (12th level magic-user, dagger, darts, bracer AC 4) - sees invisible
 - Black Circle Trooper (8th level fighter, long sword, shield, banded mail)
 - Black Circle Veteran (10th level fighter, long sword, shield +1, plate mail, light crossbow) - sees invisible
 - Black Circle Lord (13th level fighter, long sword +2, shield +1, plate mail +1) - sees invisible
 - Banite Cleric (10th level cleric, mace, shield, plate mail) - sees invisible
 - Banite Priest (12th level cleric, mace +2, shield, plate mail +1) - sees invisible
 - Fire Knife (13th level thief, no weapon!?, leather armour +2) - sees invisible, deadly poison
 - Dread Guard (13th level fighter, long sword +3, shield +2, plate mail +3) - sees invisible
 - Rogue (8th level thief, short sword, leather armour)
 - Swashbuckler (11th level thief, short sword, leather armour +1) - sees invisible
 - Golden Warrior (15th level fighter, long sword +5, shield +5, plate mail +5, giant strength girdle) - sees invisible (don't recall this guy in the game!)
 - Legionaire (14th level fighter, long sword +3, shield +3, plate mail +3) - sees invisible
 - Legionaire Wizard (14th level magic-user, dagger, darts, bracer AC 4) - sees invisible

Only the legionnaire and 'golden warrior' had ability scores other than 10.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 04:13:09 PM »
I've been using Bill Simser's Gold Box Explorer lately...  this though, this is something beautiful to explore as well... and your links list is superb.

Any personal thoughts on where your Gold Box Companion is heading?

I will be spending the first week of the new year checking out the bells and whistles :)

Offline Amarande

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 01:47:18 AM »

- Golden Warrior (15th level fighter, long sword +5, shield +5, plate mail +5, giant strength girdle) - sees invisible (don't recall this guy in the game!)

This is a unique enemy, found in one of the last battles of the game in the final dungeon. He looks just like a Dread Guard IIRC, so can be easy to miss seeing in the actual fight (especially if you habitually spam Hold Person on all the fighters you see, which tends to be de-rigeur in this game ...).