Author Topic: Starting equipment, events on area view and other questions  (Read 350 times)

Offline Darcnyss

Starting equipment, events on area view and other questions
« on: September 08, 2016, 10:52:44 AM »
Hi everyone.
I just have a few questions about the engine that has me slightly boggled. These problems aren't game breakers, but will definitely make my modules more pleasing to the end-user. Forgive me if these have been answered elsewhere, but I have searched the forum and not found the answers. So, on to the questions!

Starting equipment.
Is there a way to add starting equipment to each class? I have edited the classes.txt to add a Long Sword and Splint Mail to the Fighter class, imported it into the module, and tested it, still with no items showing up in the newly created fighter's inventory. I suppose I can start the module near or in a shop, but what do I do in a situation where I want to start an adventure where the party is thrown into the thick of it from the beginning of the game?

Events on Area View
Is there a way not to show the weird little event icon on area view? I want to hide event points from the players, while still showing them an overview of the town. This is crucial for keeping hidden events, well, hidden, as it were.

Combatactionsxxxx.txt
Is there any way to stop the engine from filling the design folder with these files after every combat? During a test play by a friend of mine, after a single combat his folder was filled with over 130 of theses files. Just another non-critical problem, but it would be nicer to the end user not to have to wade through all the files.

Quick Combat problems
Also not too much of a problem, but a bit weird. When in quick combat, the engine sometimes seems to get stuck in a guarding loop. The character will move in the first round, then start quarding. The turn will end, but then repeat without moving on to the enemy's turn. "Super Spud is Gaurding" just repeats over and over. When this eventually does end, this behaviour seems to sometimes move on to the enemies, at othet times giving them extra turns, as if catching up to the turns they lost.

I am very much aware that DC is still a work in progress, and if, at the moment, there are no workarounds for these, I'll gladly do things differently.
I am just happy to be able to use DC and revisit and rehash some of my old FRUA modules from years ago.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Starting equipment, events on area view and other questions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 12:23:55 PM »
DC is still a work in progress
I think that is an exaggeration.  What is there is supposed to work.

1) Starting Equipment.

I cannot make this work.  I am looking into it.

3) Excessive files.

I will fix this somehow.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:28:27 PM by Paul R. Stevens »

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 01:01:06 PM »
Hi Paul, and thank you for the speedy reply.
I meant no offence by saying that the engine is still a work in progress. I merely assumed this due to some options in the editor being grayed out and unavailable.
I am very much enjoying using DC, as I can now bring my old FRUA ideas to life on modern systems without having to do risky hacks using uashell and several third party programs.
The area view event icon still confused me a bit, though, since I can't find anything that even remotely  resembles it in the AreaViewArt.PNG...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 01:02:37 PM by Darcnyss »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 01:15:29 PM »
Events on Area View
Is there a way not to show the weird little event icon on area view? I want to hide event points from the players, while still showing them an overview of the town. This is crucial for keeping hidden events, well, hidden, as it were.

Do not worry, the events are only visible if you run the editor at the same time! Without the editor running, the "weird icons" are not visible.

Quick Combat problems
Also not too much of a problem, but a bit weird. When in quick combat, the engine sometimes seems to get stuck in a guarding loop. The character will move in the first round, then start quarding. The turn will end, but then repeat without moving on to the enemy's turn. "Super Spud is Gaurding" just repeats over and over. When this eventually does end, this behaviour seems to sometimes move on to the enemies, at othet times giving them extra turns, as if catching up to the turns they lost.

I had similar issues, and as I understood, Manikus is checking this. Compare:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3307.15
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 01:22:29 PM »
Hi. Welcome to Dungeon Craft! ;D

1)   This is indeed a bug. Thanks for pointing this out to us, Paul and I will work on this one.

2)   The event squares only show up in Area View while the editor is open.

3)   This was supposed to be a testing feature that I thought had been turned off. Paul will get to the bottom of it.

4)   I think this is the same issue that Dinonykos has reported and it is being worked on.

I appreciate that you searched for answers first. :) But, don't hesitate to ask questonns, even if they might be repeats.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 01:22:48 PM »
I meant no offence

I certainly took no offense. 

The starting equipment problem is a problem with quantity.
The equipment gets added to the character with quantity zero.

But it is worse.  Exporting a class with starting equipment
results in a "Not Implemented" warning.  So....import/export
of classes simply is broken.

Should we add a quantity to the "Starting Equipment" specification?
Example:

Starting Equipment = Dagger,1

where the default would be 1.  Or is there a reason not to do this?

The only reason I can think of not to do this is that a
name might contain a comma:

Starting Equipment = Dagger, Small, 1
in which case we could allow quotes:
Starting Equipment = "Dagger, Small", 1

I'll wait for any discussion before I do anything.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 01:35:02 PM »
Thank you for that information, everyone. Just did a test run with the editor closed, and event weirdness is no more!
As for the combat issue, it is indeed the same issue I am experiencing.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »
due to some options in the editor being grayed out and unavailable

If there are useless controls in the editor, let us find and remove them.
This is a question of 'polish' and is very much worth doing (because it
is simple to do.....good cost/benefit ratio).

I don't use the editor so you will have to tell me what is not needed.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »
Paul, we should totally add the number after a comma. We are already doing this in the monster database (for all non 1 values - DC is assuming 1 unless we add a value).

There is a greyed out button in Global Settings for "Starting Equipment" in the upper right hand corner.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 01:52:24 PM »
The other greyed out and unavailable buttons and controls I have seen myself are Import FRUA in the Files menu, Run UAF Config in the Mode menu, Cross Reference Resources on the Global menu gives me a "code not implemented" error, and in the zone data control the summoned monster button isn't used.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 02:19:37 PM »
3. Maybe there should be separate folder for those files, like some test files folder where they could be stored.

anything