Author Topic: PREVIEW: The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece  (Read 7310 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: PREVIEW: The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 07:56:20 AM »
 ;D Very interesting idea for module and it looks very good.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 01:03:08 PM »
Two more examples for Uatu's and my walls, overlays and backgrounds combined. On the left, you can see an inn with Uatu walls and background, and overlays with modified "Dinonykos walls". In the centre, a recoloured wall and a door overlay (slightly modified) by Uatu are combined with a modified backdrop and a wall overlay done by me. I think it works quite good.

The right picture shows an item (the "masterpiece"), which I tried to do mimicking Uatu's style - but I fear it is resembling, at most.  :-[ This pixel art approach is really challenging...  ::)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 05:01:47 AM »
Amazing :) really glad that You guys work on something nice and hoping to play it when finished :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 01:11:26 PM »
Now we have all the art the design needs - though there might be some "bonus art". It is a lot of fun modifying Uatu's art (I have attached two examples below), but it also takes quite a lot of time.

I am just in the process of writing key events in a text editor. After some consideration, I have decided that the whole game will be told by "Gottlieb Conanson", quite the same way as Watson tells most of the Sherlock Holmes cases. So this game will be a little more like an interactive story (compared to my other DC games which I would rather see as interactive comics... :) ).
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 04:30:38 PM »
Sounds good :) About  modifying art yest it is just like that. I am lately trying to modify Manikus art and it is taking some time, more then I would like but I think it is worthy.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 04:40:44 PM »
Considering that my time for DC is very limited these days, the 'Case of the Stolen Masterpiece' makes quite good progress. In the screenshot below, you can see another of Uatu's small pics modified - I turned the his gnome's sword into a mace because I wanted the 'Conanson' character to be a dual class cleric/fighter, and I thought a sword might not fit with a cleric.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »
It looks great and I think it is good to have nice portraits with variations. I am working on something similar, hoping to end soon modifing of original PC portraits, maybe I will make sprites of them later if I figure right  proportions. I will have to try it eventualy :)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 06:31:04 PM »
The modifications look great!  Pretty seamless changes, and the new transformed characters have their own unique look now.
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
... and the new transformed characters have their own unique look now.

The problem concerning the blonde character based on your ogre is that he might also have to fight, but of course, I cannot just recolour your ogre icon...   :o
I forgot that some of the suspects should (optionally) fight the heores if accused (when I mentioned above that all of the art is completed). I could try to mix some of your icons into something which then fits well with the blonde character. The thing is that this character has to be extraordinary broad-shouldered.

By the way, I just realized yesterday evening how great your ogre shaman icon is! Could it be that some of your newer icons show more "action" in the attack position?  ;)

I am wondering if it might be possible to finish this module until March 1th since it fits so well with the rules of the 'Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest'. Probably not all of the ten 'suspect scenarios', but one or two of them.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2016, 02:10:21 AM »
The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece makes little but steady progress.
I have composed a little intro music during the past evenings that, I hope, fits well with the setting and also is reminiscent of some of the Sherlock Holmes related TV series tunes from the past years.
I also made some progress with text writing but I underestimated the complexity of D&D-related mythology, which, however, could be an important aspect concerning the motivation of several possible culprits...  ::)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 10:28:55 AM »
Good to hear that. Hope that everything will go smoothly. And it is true for D&D mythology, though it might be interesting also there is a lot of it :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »
I have now more or less completed one of the ten cases. It would be great if somebody would be ready to playtest this in the current state, because for the other nine cases, I will just copy and paste the same level and only make the necessary changes for a different culprit. Would anybody like to playtest (ideally a native speaker :) )?

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2016, 06:42:32 AM »
I can't promise that I will have time to be exhaustive, but I'd be happy to do some play testing for you.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2016, 10:17:45 AM »
I can't promise that I will have time to be exhaustive, but I'd be happy to do some play testing for you.

Very kind! I sent you and Uatu a private message with a download link. In the current stage, I am particularly interested if the whole concept is interesting (and thus, if it is worth the effort to modify the design for the other nine suspects).

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2016, 01:08:56 PM »
Some of the suspects may fight if accused... Below is a screenshot of Hemlock and Conanson fighting one of them. Their opponent is based on Uatu's Oger whom I turned into a human... :D