Author Topic: Looping music problem  (Read 755 times)

Offline Winspector

Looping music problem
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:04:46 PM »
Hi.

I am not sure if this is a missing feature, a bug or that I simply don't know how to do it.
When the player starts a new game, he is shown a series of images and text allowing him or her to read on the story of the game and visualise some images, like a Power Point presentation.
I made this by nesting several Text Events, then I made them to show also an image to the player.
Now, I want to include some background music, so I added music to the "Player Hears" button and since I want the music to loop until the last nested event happens, i pressed the "Loop" checkbox. The music plays, But it does not loop at all, not even if remain in the first "slide" of the "presentation".

When I got back to the editor, I realized that the "Loop" checkbox was uncheked, and when I check it and press accept, it automatically unchecks again.

Any way to solve it? Am I doing something wrong?

The music is a 2-minutes MP3 file.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Looping music problem
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 04:33:54 PM »
When I attempt to set the 'Loop' option in
the text event, I see the following notice:
Code: [Select]
Loop won't affect how it plays in engine.
So it seems that it will not do what you want
in any case.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 01:50:39 AM »
There is a way to get what you want, though: Background music for zones is played in loops. To achieve what you want, you can reserve a level you can call, for example, "intro" for your introduction. With a transfer event, you can transfer the party to different zones where the music you desire is played... After the intro, you can transfer the party to the "real" starting point...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:36:31 AM »
But does zone music play upon transfer into a zone, or only where a step is taken in the zone? Also, I seem to recall that zone music restarts each time a step in the relevant zone is taken?

Offline Winspector

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 04:13:26 AM »
When I attempt to set the 'Loop' option in
the text event, I see the following notice:
Code: [Select]
Loop won't affect how it plays in engine.
So it seems that it will not do what you want
in any case.

Then why there is an option in the editor that does not affect the game at all? It looks like a bit redundant.

There is a way to get what you want, though: Background music for zones is played in loops. To achieve what you want, you can reserve a level you can call, for example, "intro" for your introduction. With a transfer event, you can transfer the party to different zones where the music you desire is played... After the intro, you can transfer the party to the "real" starting point...

Yes, it works flawlessly. Thank you.

But does zone music play upon transfer into a zone, or only where a step is taken in the zone? Also, I seem to recall that zone music restarts each time a step in the relevant zone is taken?

He was talking about setting a starting point in a zone where the music is played. After the series of images in the "intermission", the player is teleported to where the actual game starts.
You can do this within the same level, you don't need to reserve a whole level to do that.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 09:23:10 AM »
Winspector: I just thought reserving a level for the intro might be less confusing, and you can save the zones inside your real party level for other things... :)

Steve: I thought the music only restarts when you leave a zone and re-enter it. In any case, for what Winspector wanted to achieve, it should not matter... (In this context, however, I remember that level music restarts inside a zone if the "random chance" trigger is used... Not sure if that has changed in the newer versions of DC.)

I think something like a "loop function" for inside the game might be interesting.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Winspector

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 09:45:25 AM »
Winspector: I just thought reserving a level for the intro might be less confusing, and you can save the zones inside your real party level for other things... :)

It is just making use of a single map cell. It is not too much : )

anything