Author Topic: What's unity3d like for RPG development?  (Read 661 times)

Offline marainein

What's unity3d like for RPG development?
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:20:34 PM »
The question's mainly directed at ProphetSword, who I know is making an rpg with it landsadventure.blogspot.com, but if anyone else has some experiences, I'd be intrigued to hear about it. Is there an active community just for rpg dev in it? Have you found any aspects of it limiting? What's the asset store like from an rpg author's viewpoint?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: What's unity3d like for RPG development?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:44:55 PM »
Unity 3D can do anything you want it to do. But that's because it is a 3D/2D engine. All game mechanics have to be programmed by the game creator. All they do is give you a shortcut so that you don't have to program your own visual engine.

The asset store has a lot of great assets, but they are quite expensive.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline marainein

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 05:36:26 PM »
The asset store has a lot of great assets, but they are quite expensive.

When I look at the asset store, I see a lot of things orientated towards people developing multi-player real time games and FPS style things. What sort of things have you seen which are actually useful for rpgs?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »
There are a ton of RPG assets.  It depends on what you need.  There are environmental effects, models, dungeon sets, etc. 

You must be looking in the wrong places.  I wouldn't say most things are geared toward multi-player real time games and FPS, as many of the assets can be used for anything you program.  The kind of game those assets sit in is up to the programmer.

I mean, without even trying, on the first page, I can find three assets that I would use in an RPG.  A set of village buildings, a blacksmith forge set and a bunch of dynamic skies.  So, yeah...depends on what you want to build and how you want to build it.

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 05:32:03 AM »
Wow :) it looks really good. I was about to try Unity but somehow I got carried away with DAZ Stuido and Bryce. I was thinking to use Unity at least for making background images. That could be done I guess :) lets try to see if it will work.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 06:08:16 AM »
Ok, I will try again. I am about to uninstall all older Unity files and install new ones. I will try to make something with it. Thanks for bringing this up. My computer is a bit older I just hope it will work with all this.

anything