Author Topic: Bard's Tale Construction Set  (Read 2458 times)

Offline marainein

Re: Bard's Tale Construction Set
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »
BTCS also had it's own programming language that allowed you to create different effects (and there are quite a lot of them).  I've included three examples below in the pictures, including one that I created (because you can create them from scratch instead of using their examples).  They are:

Breath Riddle:  Create a riddle and get input from the player.  If they answer correctly, do something (in this case, they are awarded a broadsword).  If they answer incorrectly, do something else.

Pit: Tell the party they fell in a pit and damage them.

Spinning Combat:  Here's the one I created.  Tell the party it's dark.  Make it dark.  Spin them around.  And then, attack them with a random combat just to confuse them even more.  (I could have done a great many other things if I had wanted to, including teleport them).

This is just three examples of the tons of things you can do with their built in language.  Not all effects are bad, either.  You can heal the party, regenerate spells, give items, etc. 

Again, I apologize for the small pic sizes.  It's just how DOSBox captures them.

That scripting language looks quite impressive, and would've given the game so much potential. And from the success of FRUA, there was very clearly a demand for design-your-own RPG software in the early 90s. Was there ever a significant BTCS community?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 12:31:04 PM »
As far as I know, there was never a significant BTCS community.  This thread may be the most talk about the game I've ever seen.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline wariodude128

• Dreamer of creating a gigantic module.
  • I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 03:17:37 PM »
If we're going to be talking about the Bard's Tale Construction Set, I might as well inform you all of an improved version of the game up for free download titled BTBuilder. I haven't really done much with it, but it seemed fairly easy to use and you don't need DOSBox to have it work. ProphetSword, maybe you could try fiddling with it and see if it's any good. If you want to try it yourself, just Google it. Should be one of the top three results.
Just because you're smart, doesn't mean you do smart things.

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 06:15:01 PM »
From the site: "Bt Builder is an open source implementation of the Bard's Tale Construction Set."

http://www.identicalsoftware.com/btbuilder/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 08:00:20 PM »
I checked it out.  While it has some potential, I ran into some issues running it. 

For starters, it ran in a tiny window for me.  When I attempted to go full screen, it cut off a quarter of the screen on both the right and left side (I cannot explain why, and there were no settings to change it).  It's definitely easier to put in information about spells, monsters and items than it is in BTCS, but once I got onto the map building screen, there was no way to exit it or alter the map in any way that I could find.  The documentation is kind of lacking.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/