Author Topic: Bard's Tale Construction Set  (Read 2458 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Bard's Tale Construction Set
« on: September 14, 2015, 03:30:04 PM »
I bought this some time before FRUA was advertised and played around with it.  It was extremely limited.  Anyone ever do anything with it?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline marainein

Re: Bard's Tale Construction Set
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 04:03:30 PM »
No, but I once played a module someone built with it. It was terrible.

There appears to be an open source reimplementation of the construction set in active development https://github.com/dulsi/btbuilder

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
I made a game, can't find it now. I think it suffered from the Bard's Tale not being as famous as Dungeons and Dragons.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
I can't say I am interested in that because of the same reason, Ad&d being standard for serious RPGs. RPG Maker might be really good but i just feel like I can't change it to suit my own needs :) that is why I like DC.

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:23:10 PM »
I bought this some time before FRUA was advertised and played around with it...

I did too.  I still have my copy, but I was very disappointed by what little I could change, and how hard it was to change those few things.  Compared to FRUA (speaking just unhacked FRUA), it was quite a let down.  By comparison, FRUA was a breeze to use, letting me make a little mini-encounter, and play it, in my very first sit-down. 

Offline OutoftheBlue

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:38:13 PM »
I bought this some time before FRUA was advertised and played around with it.  It was extremely limited.  Anyone ever do anything with it?

I played around with it years ago.  It was limited in some ways, but in others you could do more than FRUA (at least without mods): you could create your own spells and items.  You could make more complex traps than 'does ydx pts on z characters' type. I don't really remember much else about the design end. Where it fell apart for me was in game play, it was super laggy and remember painfully slow scrolling through lists.  Also I don't think you could save anywhere except in the guild.  I think EA sold the rights to a different company and it shows in its implementation.  It seems like very few modules were actually made and put on the web and none of them seemed appealing enough to me to download.

Offline marainein

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 01:40:28 AM »
Would someone like to compare and contrast the features of the Bard's Tale Construction Set with FRUA? Just looking at the menu intrigues me - what sort of things could you do with a spell and item editor, for instance?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 08:41:30 AM »
Even though the picture is small, hopefully you can pick out the details.  First is the ITEM EDITOR (see picture below).  You can set the following attributes:

Name:  What is the name of the item?
Item Type:  What kind of item is it? (Hand weapon, shield, armor, potion, etc).
Price: How much does it cost when you buy it?
User Class: Which classes can use it?  You can select multiple classes or just one class.
Armor Plus:  Does it add a bonus to armor protection?  If so, how much?
Hit Plus: Does it add a bonus to hit?  If so, how much?
Damage Dice: Because I selected that this was a "hand weapon," this is the damage it will do.
X-Special: Does it have a special ability?  What is it?
Likelihood of X-Special: What is the percent chance the special ability will happen?
Times Usable: Is it limited in use?  (0 means it isn't).
Spell Cast:  Does it cast a spell when used?  If so, what spell?
Cause: You can supply a text statement that shows up when the item is used.
Effect: You can supply a text statement for what happens when the item's effect comes into play.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 08:46:56 AM »
This is the SPELL EDITOR:

Name: What's the name of the spell?
Code: What four-letter code is used to cast this spell? (Not sure how the player knows what it is).
Mage Class:  Which mage class can cast this spell?  You can select multiple.
Level: What's the level of the spell?
Points Needed:  How many mana points does this spell require?
Range: In increments of 10', how far this spell can be used.
Effective Range:  How big of an area does the spell effect?
Type:  Lots of types to choose from.
Damage Dice:  Because I used "Damaage By Level" above, I told it how much damage it does per level (20d10), which is massive overkill in this case.
Duration: How long does the spell last?
Spell Effect:  You can supply a text statement that shows up when this spell is cast.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 09:53:30 AM »
Looks interesting. I might check it when I have more free time just to sww how it works. Thanks for pictures and info :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 11:18:21 AM »
I wouldn't bother.  Despite having the ability to create Items and Spells, the game is seriously lacking in other departments.  There are only four wallsets (two dungeons, one wilderness and one city), and no way to alter that.  There are some really neat ideas and some things I wish were in FRUA, but there's a reason why FRUA built a following and this one didn't.  I bought this one when it was new, and even though I tooled around in it for a while, once FRUA came out, I rarely loaded it except to steal artwork from it to use for FRUA.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 03:41:42 PM »
Ok. I understand. I better continue my DC design then :) I have built town and now need to populate it and make it alive ;)

Offline marainein

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 06:55:16 PM »
There are some really neat ideas and some things I wish were in FRUA
Anything else besides the item and spell editors?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 07:11:13 PM »
BTCS also had it's own programming language that allowed you to create different effects (and there are quite a lot of them).  I've included three examples below in the pictures, including one that I created (because you can create them from scratch instead of using their examples).  They are:

Breath Riddle:  Create a riddle and get input from the player.  If they answer correctly, do something (in this case, they are awarded a broadsword).  If they answer incorrectly, do something else.

Pit: Tell the party they fell in a pit and damage them.

Spinning Combat:  Here's the one I created.  Tell the party it's dark.  Make it dark.  Spin them around.  And then, attack them with a random combat just to confuse them even more.  (I could have done a great many other things if I had wanted to, including teleport them).

This is just three examples of the tons of things you can do with their built in language.  Not all effects are bad, either.  You can heal the party, regenerate spells, give items, etc. 

Again, I apologize for the small pic sizes.  It's just how DOSBox captures them.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »
Here's a few more screenshots of the game in action. 

First screenshot is of the map building tools.  Second shows the game being tested with the party in the Guild (I'm using a built-in default party).  Second shows the party in combat with wolves.  Last shows the party wandering around the dungeon.

One thing I don't like is that random combats are not handled like they are in FRUA.  They aren't based on steps, they're based on real time checks.  So, if you are standing around looking through your inventory or trying to figure out where you want to go next, you can be attacked while minding your own business.  This means that walking away from the computer might not be recommended.

anything