Author Topic: PREVIEW: Helmetlands Origins: Rise of the Insectoids  (Read 5476 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: PREVIEW: Helmetlands Origins: Rise of the Insectoids
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »
These look fantastic!

For panels 1 and 2, are you considering having the van extend all the way to the left edge fo the viewport?

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2015, 03:21:50 AM »
Yes, the truck will cover three squares, and above, I have posted just the "cockpit" section. The sides and back of the loading space section are in progress. The idea is that the loading space consists of a two-squares-sized container. Similar containers are used as living and working space in the research camp where the main action takes place. The combat walls will have to be a compromise with this approach (similar to the "train problem"), since the interiors and exteriors of the containers look different.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2015, 12:56:55 PM »
Those pictures look great. I was looking at that hyperwall templates and I wish I knew how to do things like that. Meaning to draw walls and other smaller things that add to atmosphere :) hope I will learn in time.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »
I was looking at that hyperwall templates and I wish I knew how to do things like that.

As long as the objects are cuboid, it is really not complicated. Only the front of the truck is a little tricky. The most complicated thing I did so far was the space shuttle in "Praeludium" which also has diagonal walls...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2015, 03:06:57 AM »
I have now more or less completed the truck and other graphics. As written earlier, there will be a short train scene (still not sure if the party shall walk around), and, as a reminiscence to "Creature from the Black Lagoon", the party will arrive in the jungle where the main story is set via an old boat similar to the "Rita".

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2015, 03:27:26 AM »
That sounds good :) now it seems I will have to reserve some more time to play new DC modules beside FRUA. I wish I could do things like You do, probably will just need time to learn more.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2015, 04:01:35 PM »
The boat is working quite well (some graphic "mistakes" cannot be avoided because of the way DC handles the far away walls), it is more or less the same I did for "Helmetlands", but with some different elements.
I am now working on the train, level design in general and some more NPCs (like the captain on the boat).

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
This screenshot looks fantastic. :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2015, 08:46:09 AM »
I agree. I wish I have good workflow like Yours, but I am trying :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
Here are some 3d-views from the game. To save time (December is approaching quickly), I will re-use some of the "virtual" NPCs from Friedrich's Revenge, but most NPCs are completely new...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 02:18:34 PM »
Wow! Fantastic images. As always, I am very impressed with your artwork. :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »
Six weeks left to finish this design... Really a challenge. I fear that I will have to postpone the change to DC 2.0 after December, otherwise, I will probably not be able to finish this design in time...  :-[

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »
Ugh, only six weeks. I haven't even started the art that I need for mine. Or finished anything.

Nice picture. :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2015, 03:09:28 AM »

I am recycling a lot of art for this design. For the jungle, I re-use a lot of "vegetation walls" I earlier considered to be unconvincing, but it turned out that they fit well with certain "tree walls". I also just drew a few insectoids and resized and recoloured them and did little changes here and there to emulate different species and different growth stages (see central picture below). So I more or less made 4 different types out of one. The first nymph stage is still left to do...  ::)

I also took characters from Friedrich's Revenge and just slightly changed them (e.g. by adding new clothes). Another approach to save time is that I draw big pics, but use slightly altered parts of them as small pics, too. (Actually, the Snot Tigress excursus also reminded me how pictures can be reused... :D )

Still, there are numerous new characters, but I have now several pics ready or close to finished depicting them. The inside of the train is almost ready (only the shading is not complete)... The main thing left to do is writing texts and add certain key events.

Ugh, only six weeks. I haven't even started the art that I need for mine. Or finished anything.
Concerning "Crime Alley", I assumed from your poll you already have a lot of character-3D models half-ready and just have to make them less or more muscular... :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2015, 01:49:25 PM »

I am recycling a lot of art for this design. For the jungle, I re-use a lot of "vegetation walls" I earlier considered to be unconvincing, but it turned out that they fit well with certain "tree walls". I also just drew a few insectoids and resized and recoloured them and did little changes here and there to emulate different species and different growth stages (see central picture below). So I more or less made 4 different types out of one. The first nymph stage is still left to do...  ::)

I also took characters from Friedrich's Revenge and just slightly changed them (e.g. by adding new clothes). Another approach to save time is that I draw big pics, but use slightly altered parts of them as small pics, too. (Actually, the Snot Tigress excursus also reminded me how pictures can be reused... :D )

Still, there are numerous new characters, but I have now several pics ready or close to finished depicting them. The inside of the train is almost ready (only the shading is not complete)... The main thing left to do is writing texts and add certain key events.
Long live the Snot Tigress! ;)
I think re-using of art between designs that are related is completely acceptable and in fact helps with continuity. :)
Also, there's a long tradition in the FRUA/DC community of taking existing images and altering them for further use - it's just a bonus that the original artists is the one modifying the art so very likely will do a great job of matching the styles.
I look forward to seeing the new and recycled images.

Concerning "Crime Alley", I assumed from your poll you already have a lot of character-3D models half-ready and just have to make them less or more muscular... :D
[/quote]
Um, not actually. I mean you are right about why I did the poll, but that was from before I decided to separate it from the DC comic book universe. So, while I may have characters for the Justice League ready, not so much for my own creations. Suffice it to say that on almopst all of those that I had partially ready, I have to start over. Honestly, I enjoy the process, but it really blows deadlines away.
However, I am still plugging away. :D

anything