Author Topic: Gold Box Explorer 1.2  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Gold Box Explorer 1.2
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 02:15:11 PM »
Where can this be downloaded if it is available?

Offline marainein

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »
Where can this be downloaded if it is available?
I emailed the 1.2 patch off to Bil a few days ago, I expect we'll see the new version soon on the site https://goldbox.codeplex.com/. Or if you need it immediately, I can send you a build.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:29:20 PM by marainein »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 11:22:45 PM »
I will wait for the official release. Thank You very much. It is one of my favorite programs that I use often but I can wait for new version no worries.

Offline Simeon Pilgrim

• simeonpilgrim.com
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 06:52:27 PM »
Check in the code, made the installer, and published the bundle. Sorry it took so long.

Offline Simeon Pilgrim

• simeonpilgrim.com
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »
I noticed it crashes if I click on .png or .pcx files...

Offline marainein

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »
Check in the code, made the installer, and published the bundle. Sorry it took so long.
Huzzah! Thank you Simeon!

Unhuzzah...well, it's meant to be for viewing gold box assets, not a generic image viewer. I'll fix that in 1.3

Edit: download site is here: https://goldbox.codeplex.com/
As discussed earlier in the thread, the update includes a first person view of the maps (doesn't work right in some of the later games), ECL decoding for most the games, improved ECL searching and copying/pasting, and some image export palette fixes. Please report any bugs you notice.

And Gold Box Explorer will continue, with version 1.3...sometime soon.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:10:33 PM by marainein »

Offline Simeon Pilgrim

• simeonpilgrim.com
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 10:43:49 PM »
I wasn't expecting to to handle the file, but more expecting it to not crash...

Offline marainein

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 11:04:18 PM »
Ok, it does crash/throw a warning when I try and view pcx files with it...it's complaining about a loaderlock caused by the library it's using to view pcx files (DevIL.net.dll) running code in managed mode - I presume this library can't be called from the context of mainform/mainviewpresenter? Although if I tell it to keep going, it loads the pcx file successfully.

The png files I tried it with worked fine. What ones were triggering crashes for you?

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 04:53:14 AM »
My copy of GBE won't display the 3D views for Pools of Darkness, the views that are seen when you open Geo1.dax. The red arrow still appears at square 8,8 but there is no 3D view. I checked a few of the other GB games and they seemed okay.
Treasures of the Savage Frontier ditto.

FRUA is a special case because it has a variable HxW format, which won't work with the neat 16x16 format of earlier GB games. Ditto Dark Queen of Krynn.

In other games the background is always white regardless of the color that the GB game really had for the background of that zone/building.

All placed events have the same color, regardless of whether they are indoor or outdoor.
GBE can't display the maps in Dark Queen of Krynn or FRUA because it can't handle the Glb format. Said format is simple enough to understand.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:53:19 AM by Ishad Nha »

Offline Galahad

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 09:32:03 AM »
Hi sorry, not to ask a dumb question or anything here, but I haven't really had a chance to be involved with the UA community since about 2007 (extremely long, long work hours and work shifts for years on end), so was just curious, is the Gold Box Explorer tool designed for FRUA or for Dungeon Craft?  Thanks

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »
It's a tool made for the original Gold-Box Games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, etc.) that also works with FRUA.  I don't think it works with Dungeon Craft at all, though someone can correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm sure there are others who can give you more information.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Galahad

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
Thanks ProphetSword!  :)

Offline marainein

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 04:11:00 AM »
Like James Bond, Gold Box Explorer will return...soonish. If you have any bugs, complaints or feature requests, or have ideas to make the world to be a better place, feel free to post them here.

BTW - I notice there are a lot of downloads for GBE - and I wonder, is this just one person downloading it over and over again? Do a myriad of people actually use the program, and if so, for what? Or do they download it expecting something else, and if so what were they actually expecting?

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »
I have no idea why people download GBE.
In their day, a lot of people must have played the Gold Box games.
Gog recently released the Gold Box games, so now they are being played more often.
Gog Gold Box forums show reasonable activity for the games too.

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 11:03:55 PM »
Like James Bond, Gold Box Explorer will return...soonish. If you have any bugs, complaints or feature requests, or have ideas to make the world to be a better place, feel free to post them here.
It's a wonderful program!

Feature Requests:
  • Export dialog remembers the last folder
    *Perhaps even per file type.
  • Geo__.dax explore mode to also use the arrow keys for movement.
  • Is there any chance that a future version could import images back into the dax file?
    (I'm guessing that could cause memory problems in the game though?)

anything