Author Topic: Gold Box Explorer 1.2  (Read 2337 times)

Offline marainein

Gold Box Explorer 1.2
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:40:40 AM »
After a shamefully long interlude of neglect, I'll be updating Gold Box Explorer! Expect it in a few days time, as soon as I've completed a bit of testing. Changes include:

• There's now a first person 3d map view
  • ECL decoding now works on most the games, and it's possible to search through the ecl code, and copy it to the clipboard
  • The EGA palette problems have been fixed (I think!)

Anyway, if you've noticed any bugs in GBE 1.1, let me know now so I can fix them before making this release.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
Re: Gold Box Explorer 1.2
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:19:19 PM »
It crashes if you try to examine all the monsters in an MONxCHA file, one after the other, in Pool of Radiance.

Offline marainein

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:12:07 PM »
It crashes if you try to examine all the monsters in an MONxCHA file, one after the other, in Pool of Radiance.
Well spotted Null. I can make this happen with moncha's 2, 4 and 8, but not the others. And it only happens when I iterate through the tabs. And worst of all, the exception is coming from inside of the windows' form rendering code, so I can't see what's going on.

Investigation in progress...

Offline marainein

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:05:43 AM »
Ok, it looks like windows doesn't like you to have more than 10k GDI objects (windows, controls etc) per process, and the tabbed layout for moncha chews through that pretty quickly. I may have to consult with someone who understands windows programming well for this one.

Offline Null Null

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:03:06 PM »
Going back and looking again...

For some reason, CPIC.TLB in Dark Queen of Krynn cannot be displayed.

Also, you might want to make the other MONCHA files viewable in the other games...I don't know how hard this would be!

Offline marainein

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 09:17:52 PM »
Going back and looking again...

For some reason, CPIC.TLB in Dark Queen of Krynn cannot be displayed.
Thanks, looking into it.

Also, you might want to make the other MONCHA files viewable in the other games...I don't know how hard this would be!
Definitely, but it's a long term project, not something for the 1.2 release. The CHA formats vary between games, and figuring out what every last byte does in all 12 games is going to require more powerful tools than the ones we currently use. I'll add editing of records inside the dax files in 1.3, so we can change things and see how they affect the game.

Offline marainein

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 11:10:47 PM »
Ok, I was checking over various files, and I noticed some of the combat images in Dark Queen of Krynn are funny looking - some in CBODY.TLB are red silhouettes with a green background, and some of the tiles in dungcom.tlb and wildcom.tlb have a pink/orange hue. Are they meant to look like that in the game?

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 12:15:42 AM »
some in CBODY.TLB are red silhouettes with a green background

Yes to the green cbody background (it looks like the color they choose to represent a transparent background) but no to the red cbody silhouettes.

some of the tiles in dungcom.tlb and wildcom.tlb have a pink/orange hue

I don't know about dungcom. There are pinkish Adobe dungeon walls and orange Lava dungeon walls.

Yes to the pink wildcom, that is the color they chose to represent the Abyss in DQK.

Below, you can see how some of the images you are talking about should appear.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline marainein

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 01:55:33 AM »
Ok, thanks. Further investigation shows that the troublemakers are all using image drawing method 17, which TLBFORM.TXT in the hackdocs describes as using an 'And mask, then an Or mask', but doesn't explain the details. I'll try and hunt down some more information.

Offline marainein

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 05:39:26 AM »
Ok, hopefully that's fixed it

Offline Null Null

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 08:42:53 AM »
Loving it! Traned the Tragedian makes an encore performance as a female dwarf... One of these days I can do a retrospective on human combat icons if anyone is interested. ;)

BTW, this is a labor of love and whatever you do is much appreciated by our community, but Simeon Pilgrim did decode much of the Curse of the Azure Bonds monster data if you're interested.

Offline bsimser

• Free to a good home.
    • Fear and Loathing
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 02:49:04 PM »
Looking forward to it.

Offline bsimser

• Free to a good home.
    • Fear and Loathing
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 02:52:03 PM »
Ok, I was checking over various files, and I noticed some of the combat images in Dark Queen of Krynn are funny looking - some in CBODY.TLB are red silhouettes with a green background, and some of the tiles in dungcom.tlb and wildcom.tlb have a pink/orange hue. Are they meant to look like that in the game?

It's a palette shifting problem. The original developers didn't always use the same reference palette (or they had to share or re-use some or other cram-as-much-as-you-can-in-512k-bytes-of-memory) so we have to create custom palettes and swap them around. I think the original games would do this dynamically but without the code we're not sure what they're supposed to be so its like trying to hit a moving target.

Offline marainein

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 05:00:47 PM »
Looking forward to it.
Bil! You're alive! I think I'm done with the 1.2 version, I'll send you a patch shortly.

Offline bsimser

• Free to a good home.
    • Fear and Loathing
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 06:21:55 PM »
Looking forward to it.
Bil! You're alive! I think I'm done with the 1.2 version, I'll send you a patch shortly.

Do you not have write access to the repo? If you're comfortable with that I can give you access. Simeon was doing the releases but I may be able to do one this weekend. Let me know.