Author Topic: Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest  (Read 9499 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2015, 12:55:02 PM »
Well, "Snow Tigress" this time will be completed. It is already ready to be played, what I am doing now is just polishing here and there and making sure that all of the numerous possible endings work well. It might be that I can even finish a second mod this time.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline hans

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »
My entry is nowhere near complete, yet. 

I have finished my skins for FF's CTool proggie, at least for now, in anticipation of using them as the basis for my Pics.  I've got my heroes done as well as a good half dozen of the big baddies that they'll meet.  If I find later that I need or want more for some incidental characters, I'll return to it. 

For now, I've started work on some BackGrounds and Wallsets. 

My first draft of a script is almost completed, too.  I really like the story I've come up with, and also the characters.  It should be an entertaining slant on the SuperHero genre. 

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2015, 11:12:33 AM »
Cool, sounds like there will be at least two superhero contributions then. (I am not sure if 'Snow Tigress' is one or not... so perhaps two and a half. If I manage to add a second entry in time, that would be another superhero contribution... :D)

Do we have any rules concerning playtesting by third persons before submitting the entries on December 1st? Is it allowed or not?

And, just out of interest - what if two authors would come up with a joined entry? Would that be allowed? I think there has so far not been any joined DC project, was there ever a FRUA module submitted by two authors?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 03:08:29 AM »
I think play testing is fine -- to be encouraged, in fact -- as long as you don't make he files available to the general public.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
I was working on my module for contest and it could be ready soon, but I also want to update it (maybe few times) because it is a long time till the end of contest. Now if I publish it and update it will that be ok.
Dear Milos, I guess this is the thread to discuss the Mini-Module Design contest.

As Steve wrote above (and nobody objected yet) it seems to be fine to let somebody playtest your design. I do not completely understand what you mean by the word "update" - do you consider your module to be completed? Otherwise, it would in any case not be wise to publish it now. Why not invest some more weeks to make sure it is exactly as you desire it to be? You could also ask one of the native speakers in the forum to check the English until December 1st...

Second question is about 4 map area limits and 1 overland. That is like 4 dungeon levels and 1 overland or outside area. What I will have is Town area, with shops then Wilderness area with monsters and in it wizards towers with total of six small floors. Now I wonder if it is good for this contest?
I have the same problem with a third module which I could submit in addition to the two I am just working on: It fits very well with the "one main character - one sidekick" theme - but it has 8 levels instead of 4. I will therefore not submit it as an entry.

However, in your case, you may as well have used one level to put several of your tower's floors onto it just to fit with the 4 level rule. GoldBoxFan has to decide, but I personally would suggest some rule flexibility in this case...

Offline hans

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »
Hmm.  One month to go, lemme examine the state of my entry... 

Backdrops, done.    8)
Wallsets, done.    8)
Combat Dungeons, almost complete.    :)
Combat Icons, a few done, many more to do.   :-\
Story, finished in note form, --as I transfer the story to UA events, I shouldn't have to make more than minor tweaks.    ;)

Music, all my tunes still need to be turned into .XMIs.   :-\
Title Art, not even started.    :-[ 
Map, not even started.    :-[ 
Sprites, not even started.    :-[ 
Pics, not even started.     :-[ 
However, I do have some FF CTool models lined up.   ::) 

All that considered, it seems inescapable that my entry will be quite late.   :( 

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
In a complete non-sequitur, I've been thinking rather seriously about the ideas raised in this thread: 
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=805.15 
I believe I have the kernel of an idea that might make an interesting little Real-Historical-Figures mod, in a sci-fi, maybe slightly steampunkish vein. 

Nevertheless, I will do my best to finish my current project before allowing myself to be tempted by any others.   

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 07:48:15 AM »
By using an index of rather positive vs rather negative emoticons and ignoring "undecided" ones, I came to the conclusion that still might finish the design in time...  ;)

I will definitely submit "Snow Tigress", but "Rise of the Insectoids" might also be finished until December 1st. I have done most of the new wall art (only the train walls and the front of the truck need some additional colouring and shading), icons and smallpics/sprites (though I will do some more small pics in case there is time left) and music, the levels are built and I wrote most of the dialogs in a text program - so I should be able to complete the second design in time.

What about Milos' question (which he posted in the other thread, http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3032.0) - how harsh is the 4-dungeon-level and one overland-level rule applied? My own suggestion would be that if someone uses very small levels and then has slightly more than 4, or uses several levels to, e.g., emulate day and night or seasons or whatever in the same area (so that it's basically the same level with other looks), this should not lead to exclusion from the contest.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2015, 09:17:42 AM »
Oops, I forgot about this contest. Don't think I've gotten very far at all. Have a map and some text. Hope I can find time to finish it.  :-[

In regard to the Milos problem: if the pieces of the design can fit into 4 dungeon areas at maximum size you can submit a design with more than 4 dungeon areas. I suppose if you make 4 areas and can't fit all the text and events into an area that you may copy the area to another dungeon slot to finish up the events and/or text without penalty. My last module (http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/v/vorakfh.zip), which no one seems to have played, might have fit the rules under those circumstances, except it has no pre-generated character. I had to split the dungeon into two because wallset sizes caused corruption, then I had to recopy one dungeon twice to get all the events and text. So copies of an area shouldn't count as extra areas.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:31:28 AM by GoldBoxFan »

Offline hans

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »
...My last module (http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/v/vorakfh.zip), which no one seems to have played, might have fit the rules under those circumstances, except it has no pre-generated character...

I played the first version, of course, and gave you my feedback.  I thought I would wait awhile before playing your new version, so that the older elements might seem fresh again.  I took up Harkenworld, in the meantime, and figure I'm at least half-way through that mod, but I haven't played it, now, for a couple of weeks, because I'm using all my UA time to try to get my own contest mod done (the chances of which, unfortunately, look slimmer every day). 

If you want to ensure that a contest mod gets played and you get plenty of feedback, GoldBoxFan, you could ask for volunteers to fill out a full panel of judges for the contest, instead of just carrying the load, yourself.  That's the way we did it back in the olden days of the UANL, with very pleasing results...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2015, 06:33:47 AM »
I think it would be great to have a panel. For the house contest, we handled it that way that every contestant reviewed every entry (excluding her/his own). I liked this approach. In this context, I wonder who will submit an entry. I have one ready and one which might be ready by December 1st.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2015, 10:41:12 AM »
Any news how we proceed here? I have completed one entry and already uploaded it, but I am not sure whom to send the link...

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2015, 01:15:46 PM »
I am not sure :) but here is what I was working on if it is ok to use it for a contest. I guess only first version is good for now (640*480) http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2881.0

I guess it is not done very good but at least I have tried. It has large town (a bit unfinished), and main quest :) and NPCs. It is remake of my older module :)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »
So what got done on time? Do we have enough to vote or should we give some people more time? I had some idea to finish my own but couldn't get any time to do something about it.

BTW, I let the players vote in the UA Polls then choose the winners using the comments as help.

Offline hans

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2015, 02:05:14 PM »
Mine is way behind schedule.   :-[

I still have all the Pics, BigPics, & Sprites to do.  That will be a long chore.  Title art & my Map are now done, tho.  And I'm halfway through with creating the new Music.  Most of the Combat Icons are still needing to be done, but they'll go fairly quick. 

At an optimistic miminum, I figure I would still need a couple months more time, so don't hold everything up just on my account.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2015, 04:05:12 PM »
Give some more time, I think ...