Author Topic: Anybody Want A New Module Contest?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
Anybody Want A New Module Contest?
« on: June 08, 2015, 01:57:45 PM »
The number of new modules since last UANL is 5 total. Since June 2013. Not including DC which I haven't looked at yet.

The obvious solution is another small module contest of 1-4 areas, 1 maximum overland, and some sort of theme. It would be due 1 December 2015 for UANL 54. Of course, DC submissions would also be welcome.

Any ideas/takers?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Anybody Want A New Module Contest?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »
I think an interesting theme would be to create modules that tell a story using a single pregenerated character specifically tailored for the storyline.  NPCs can could be used, but the story should ultimately be about the main character.  That's my suggestion.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 05:19:49 PM »
If it was okay to have a sidekick for the main character, I could throw the short DC design in I just started working on in May. (Of course, if DC modules were allowed, too.)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »
DC Designs are always allowed.

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 07:38:09 PM »
I think an interesting theme would be to create modules that tell a story using a single pregenerated character specifically tailored for the storyline.  NPCs can could be used, but the story should ultimately be about the main character.  That's my suggestion.

LOL, I think that describes half of my already released mods.   :P

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 01:56:53 AM »
Not everyone knows how to make a pre-generated character. So they can list what the character requirements should be and allow you to make the character. Name, gender, race, class, etc.

We have to the end of sunday to decide what the contest will be. At the moment it is about the PC, who can be with an NPC (as the sidekick), it can have no more than 1 overland and no more than 4 modules and is due by 1 December 2015. It can be hacked or vanilla or DC. It can be FRUA-OA, BRUA, SHUA or any worldhack.

How do we feel about taking part of a larger module and using it again in a limited form?

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 06:46:52 AM »
Interesting. I was just about to continue work on my module. And I was wondering about UANL 50 when will it appear. I am not sure how there can be UANL No54 when we still don't have No50 :)

Anyway sounds good, I have that old DC module I really want to start working again, I just need good motivation :).

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 10:10:22 AM »
What is meant by 1-4 areas (or modules?) exactly? I understood this like areas to be visited from an overland map (or however) and that one area may contain several levels.

Thus, one area could be a castle, one a forest, one a village, one a cave? Or does it mean not more than 4 levels?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »
Not everyone knows how to make a pre-generated character.

I think the simplest way is for the module author to create the character, and then just save the game in slot A.  The player starts play by loading the save game in slot A.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »
...How do we feel about taking part of a larger module and using it again in a limited form?

Can you elaborate on that point?

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 12:51:34 PM »
Interesting. I was just about to continue work on my module. And I was wondering about UANL 50 when will it appear. I am not sure how there can be UANL No54 when we still don't have No50 :)

UANLs appear July 1 and January 1. It is unlikely I can do 4 uanls in 22 days, so I should at least get the current one out on time. Also, the UANLs take conversations from here. Something started in 2013 may have a post from 2015, so I have to look at every single post before I can do UANL50. I only have to look at posts from 2015 to do UANL53.

What is meant by 1-4 areas (or modules?) exactly? I understood this like areas to be visited from an overland map (or however) and that one area may contain several levels.

Thus, one area could be a castle, one a forest, one a village, one a cave? Or does it mean not more than 4 levels?

In UA each dungeon area is referred to as a module. So four explorable non-overland map files that may have multiple encounters on each one. Like Neverwinter Nights Online would combine 2 or more underground areas on the same map file. It also used map areas for forests instead of the overland map.

I think the simplest way is for the module author to create the character, and then just save the game in slot A.  The player starts play by loading the save game in slot A.

Anyone who knows how to make a pre-generated character should make one. Everyone else can just give the stats they want.

...How do we feel about taking part of a larger module and using it again in a limited form?

Can you elaborate on that point?

Let's say somebody wants to be in the contest but doesn't have the time. However, they made a module that was large and they think one section of the game would fit the criteria of the contest. They could remove this from their larger module and re-submit it, with or without changes.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 03:13:50 PM »
Thanks for the explanations. My problem is that the design I have started in May has 8 levels (=map files). But this is because I tend to divide areas in more levels than neccessary (just to keep the overview), and because I sometimes use a copy of a level for a later visit (that means, when the party returns to an area, they return to the copied level with slightly changed walls, other events and different background music, all to emulate that things in the area have changed a little). For the player, it would look like four areas only.

If this is okay, I could take part with the design I am just working on. If the 4-map-files rule is strict, I could instead join with "Snow Tigress", which I wanted to contribute to the winter contest but could not finish in time. But now, this design is already 98% completed.

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 10:03:40 PM »
If this is okay, I could take part with the design I am just working on. If the 4-map-files rule is strict, I could instead join with "Snow Tigress", which I wanted to contribute to the winter contest but could not finish in time. But now, this design is already 98% completed.
Be a shame to waste a contest entry. Assume for the moment that the 4-map-rule will be enforced. We haven't got a consensus on that yet.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »
Ok I have few questions and was directed from this thread http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3050.0.

I was working on my module for contest and it could be ready soon, but I also want to update it (maybe few times) because it is a long time till the end of contest. Now if I publish it and update it will that be ok.

Second question is about 4 map area limits and 1 overland. That is like 4 dungeon levels and 1 overland or outside area. What I will have is Town area, with shops then Wilderness area with monsters and in it wizards towers with total of six small floors. Now I wonder if it is good for this contest?

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 10:57:42 AM »
Ok I have few questions and was directed from this thread http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3050.0.

I was working on my module for contest and it could be ready soon, but I also want to update it (maybe few times) because it is a long time till the end of contest. Now if I publish it and update it will that be ok.

Second question is about 4 map area limits and 1 overland. That is like 4 dungeon levels and 1 overland or outside area. What I will have is Town area, with shops then Wilderness area with monsters and in it wizards towers with total of six small floors. Now I wonder if it is good for this contest?
Oops, missed this post. Yes you may upload it early and continue to update it. If the six small floors can all fit into one area file then they count as 1 dungeon level.

anything