Author Topic: Favorite D&D Spells  (Read 2303 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Favorite D&D Spells
« on: February 24, 2015, 04:08:01 PM »
If you're playing a spellcaster in any version of D&D, what's the one spell you can't do without?

I'll go with the obvious spell: Fireball

If I'm a wizard in any version of D&D, I will always eventually have a Fireball prepared.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: Favorite D&D Spells
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »
Yeah, that's kind of a no-brainer, and even more so in CRPGs, along with Magic Missile (for the lower levels).

When I played pen and paper AD&D as a teen, I really liked Unseen Servant though. It might seem like a rather useless spell at first, since it's only level 1, but I found it to be quite powerful under roleplaying aspects, and it definitely encourages creativity. I remember that one time, for example, when our DM got pretty desperate because he wanted the whole party to get caught and imprisoned, but my mage always gave the pursuers the slip, sneaking around invisible in the desert and erasing my tracks with Unseen Servant.  :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:30:30 PM »
During a recent set of D&D games, I came to appreciate the Grease spell.  It works great when you cast it under the feet of your enemies, especially when trapped in a hallway, and then follow that up by setting it on fire.  Watch them slip and fall prone while trying to escape the burning flames!  Oh, the humanity!

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 04:15:59 AM »
I like fireball too and magic missile. Change self one of my favorites, first ever i used as illusionist and it just worked well in town.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »
I like cantrips such as Prestidigitation and Mage Hand. Find Familiar is another fun one, because then I get an extra "character" to play.

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:26:32 AM »
This is a tough question.  I always play a wizard, up until very recently, because of the variety of options it creates. 

Right now I'm playing a rogue, and not having spells is wearing me down...No matter how much I love being able to sneak attack and use a sword...

Some of my favorites over the years though are...

• Chromatic Orb, particularly the 1e Unearthed Arcana version.  I love the way it scales and ultimately becomes a quasi-death spell when you reach twelfth level.
  • Teleport, not just because of the way it can cut travel time but the fact that it's Verbal-only--So I can't be tied up or chained up, unless they also gag me.
  • Brain Spider, lets me use ESP on eight people at once, and even lay a suggestion in someone's mind while I'm doing it!
  • Fireball.  Because, well, you know.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:07:49 AM »
Chromatic orb was a cool spell - but the material components were a bit expensive...

The Grease spell worked in combination with fire as ProphetSword said in at least one CRPG, too (Temple of Elemental Evil).  Great combination with Burning Hands at early levels...

At least in old AD&D (1e, 2e) when cantrips were not free, and low-level magic-users were really quite useless, they had to memorize something that would really pack a punch!  Sleep was good, since it did not offer a saving throw; Charm Person was okay, since although it could be resisted, the effect was quite long (most opponents did not have much intelligence), and could be "abused" for a long time.
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
The last time I played as a wizard I made a deal with the DM.  My character would not be able to learn any spells that were considered "mainstream".  No fireball, haste, lightning etc.

But in exchange, I could use any obscure spell I wanted as creatively as I wanted (and let me bend the rules a little bit).  Dig in battle?  Sure, a pit just opened up below an opponent.  Levitate an opponent just 5 inches off the ground and laugh at him?  Sure. 

Stone to mud?  Bad guys sink in mud.  Then mud to stone - muahaaa. 

He eventually did let me take magic missile, but I couldn't cast it offensively, but could shoot them at anything else.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 01:31:59 AM »
Yeah - levitate in a way could have an effect similar to entangle, at least - prevent movement (an opponent without missile weapons could be finished off this way pretty easily).

Actually, playing magic-users this way is more fun (and more wizardly) than the typical fire and lightning wizards...  Some of the 2e historical campaign books (e.g. Vikings) specified that PCs could be mages, but could only take spells of certain schools (enchantment, etc.), but I would allow spells more liberally, as long as effects were all subtle, in the same sort of way.
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Sailent

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 11:38:15 AM »
I'd really like to research Fizban's version of the Feather Fall spell.
Rather than slowly descending to the ground like a feather, the caster is affected normally be gravity but lands in a large heap of feathers. How cool is that?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 12:05:23 PM »
I'd really like to research Fizban's version of the Feather Fall spell.
Rather than slowly descending to the ground like a feather, the caster is affected normally be gravity but lands in a large heap of feathers. How cool is that?

I recently told my players about that version of the spell from the Dragonlance novels, and that we should opt to use it in our game.  Considering they were planning to use Feather Fall to descend down the side of a cliff, they weren't amused.  Good thing I was only kidding...

Offline KTG

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
Stoneskin - the original version.  Its like mirror image in that you're completely protected against a certain number of physical attacks.  Its better than mirror image because you can cast it on someone else (like a front line fighter) and there's no chance of hitting the 'real' you as there is with images.  Great duration too.  We abused this regularly in PnP games.  We often had guys running around with Stoneskin up and a contingency Stoneskin that would activate when the current Stoneskin was used up.  We can add Contingency to the list come to think of it.  I recall fights which went like 'you take those 3 Fire Giants, all take these 3'.  We had guys who could take a giant down in maybe 2 rounds, so they wouldn't even get through the layers of protection we had.

Other noteworthy spells:  Protection From Fire (Druid), Protection From Lightning (Druid), Polymorph Other, Fireball, DBF, Magic Missile, Phantasmal Killer, Prismatic Spray.  In one game I got high enough level to enjoy an awesome 9th level spell called Shape Change.  Nothing like changing into any creature you can think of.

Offline drake43

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 04:14:55 AM »
mine is raise dead but if its frua and you have an elf foget it not even ressurection can bring an elf back, the old 2nd edition rules