Author Topic: Editing with UAShell  (Read 2219 times)

Offline wariodude128

• Dreamer of creating a gigantic module.
  • I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
Editing with UAShell
« on: February 06, 2015, 02:54:19 PM »
So, I finally got UAShell to run with DOSBox. However, there doesn't seem to be anything for me to actually do or edit. I tried copying uashellc.txt into the DOCS sub directory, but that didn't do anything. Also, I have a feeling I need to make some more sub directories to put all of the stuff in the FRUA folder. Is there anyone who can step me through it? It would be a great help.
Just because you're smart, doesn't mean you do smart things.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Editing with UAShell
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:25:27 PM »
Someone with more knowledge will probably pop in and help you out, so hang tight.  The community is pretty good for that.

I will say, though, that UAShell itself isn't an editor so much as it is a menu-based system that loads the editors that you install.  So, I think you're required to have the editors installed to put them to use in that way.  If I'm wrong, someone will come along and correct me, I'm sure.   :D
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:07:49 PM »
Did you see or follow Nol's Sticky:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=464.0  

Are you able to Apply a hacked design using UAShell (command "F5 Apply Hacks")?

Offline wariodude128

• I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 09:12:09 PM »
Did you see or follow Nol's Sticky:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=464.0  

Are you able to Apply a hacked design using UAShell (command "F5 Apply Hacks")?

I was fine following the FAQ until I got to the part of installing UAshell. Trying to run UASHELL.bat was an illegal command, so I ran uashinst.exe instead. That was apparently a .zip file which then dumped everything into the FRUA folder. I ran uashell.bat and it told me uashell would only work in a valid directory. After doing that, I exited. There wasn't anything in the TEMP subdirectory, so I looked in the new files and found uashellc.txt, which was closest to what Nol's step was of finding uashell.txt. I copied the txt file into DOCS. That didn't change the message about a valid directory. So now I don't know whether I should move the .bat elsewhere or what. Do I need to cd to another folder after cding to FRUA? I am at a loss.

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 07:55:26 PM »
It's been so long since I did mine.  Like Ben said, I'm also hoping one of our resident experts will notice this thread soon, and jump in.   :-[

It might help if there was a directory written down telling what and where each file from the UAShell zip should end up in after a successful install... 

It might also help if there was a YouTube video that we could point to that demonstrated the steps... 

(Just a couple of suggestions for the future...) 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:23:29 PM by hans »

Offline wariodude128

• I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 11:51:26 PM »
Do these instructions help any better? 

http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=732.0 

It's been so long since I did mine.  Like Ben said, I'm also hoping one of our resident experts will notice this thread soon, and jump in.   :-[

It might help if there was a directory written down telling what and where each file from the UAShell zip should end up in after a successful install... 

It might also help if there was a YouTube video that we could point to that demonstrated the steps... 

(Just a couple of suggestions for the future...)

Great ideas! Would help those like me who are just starting out and don't have years of experience like some people here do. By the way, the stuff I was told to put in the temp folder and then run setup.exe wouldn't run without a DLL file. Even worse, the link to get the missing file is no longer available. It's no wonder some people thought the FRUA community died out two years ago if links to pages with useful and helpful stuff keep disappearing. No offence to everyone still at it, just an observation after checking the site forum timeline and various links to nowhere. 

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »

http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=732.0... 

I'm sorry, I gave a link for using FRUA98 (a hacking program) instead of UAShell.  I guess I got bleary-eyed last night from lack of sleep.  I didn't mean to confuse anybody.  I thought I had another link to UAShell installation from the old days.  It appears I misplaced that and grabbed the above wrong link by mistake.  Sorry again.   :-[

Offline wariodude128

• I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 06:01:45 PM »

http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=732.0... 

I'm sorry, I gave a link for using FRUA98 (a hacking program) instead of UAShell.  I guess I got bleary-eyed last night from lack of sleep.  I didn't mean to confuse anybody.  I thought I had another link to UAShell installation from the old days.  It appears I misplaced that and grabbed the above wrong link by mistake.  Sorry again.   :-[

You know what? Instead of waiting for someone to randomly come across this post and help out, I am going to try and contact Nol myself. That way, if and when he helps me to get the UASHELL editor working, he can then update the FAQ based on what worked for me and everyone can come away happy. Because I'm considering an idea to start running exe files in DOSBox just to see what happens. The FRUA 98 program sounds like a good hack program, but it appears to be about 17 years too late at this point.

Offline wariodude128

• I'M-A NUMBAR ONE!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »
:UPDATE:

I decided to get rid of everything, download Unlimited Adventures itself and then try using Nol's FAQ. Running FRUAPTCH.EXE and UHINST.EXE as well. Everything happened as he said, except for the part about something being in the TEMP folder. That is the part where I really don't know what to do next. Any help on what to do from there would be much appreciated.

Offline hans

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
:UPDATE:

I decided to get rid of everything, download Unlimited Adventures itself and then try using Nol's FAQ. Running FRUAPTCH.EXE and UHINST.EXE as well. Everything happened as he said, except for the part about something being in the TEMP folder. That is the part where I really don't know what to do next. Any help on what to do from there would be much appreciated.

I don't remember anything being left in my TEMP folder (and there's nothing there now), so you might be good. 

Why don't you try Installing a hacked mod using UAShell and see if that works.  I recommend one that's super-hacked so you see a lot of changes right away, like a new Title sequence, new Frameset, new Font, etc.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 08:24:07 PM »
You know what? Instead of waiting for someone to randomly come across this post and help out, I am going to try and contact Nol myself.

Try this:

http://www.noldrek.com/ua_start/
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »
You da man, Nol!   :notworthy:

anything