Poll

What do you hope for in new DungeonCraft modules?

Good ole fashion straight ahead DnD adventure. The closer to the campaign books the better!
5 (27.8%)
DND fantasy setting and rules. But creative and improvised adventures are usually the best.
5 (27.8%)
Unique and unpredictable fantasy world, but in familar game engine.
4 (22.2%)
Non Fantasy setting, Sci-fi, Horror, or post apocalyptic. Anything but typical fantasy!
1 (5.6%)
Ports of DnD Modules.
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: A noob trying to get a feel for the community  (Read 2381 times)

Offline cycosurgeon

A noob trying to get a feel for the community
« on: January 09, 2015, 07:38:56 PM »
Since I am new, I figure I might as well try to get to know the community a bit better. So a I made a poll and figured i'd ask some silly questions. But I must be honest, I am making a few assumptions about the community as well. But I could be way off the mark with them, so I figured they are worth mentioning.

These assumptions are...

Since the gold box games and unlimited adventures are older, that most of the members of the community are older.

That most of the community has played or still plays pen and paper DnD in various editions.

That most of the community might be semi familiar with other old school TSR games. Like Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, Top Secret etc.

That most of the community members are fans of Computer Role playing games in general.

That fancy artwork isn't really a huge priority when it comes to having fun.

That all of the community knows more about DC and Unlimited adventures than I do.

Feel free to scream at me if my assumptions are wrong.

Assumptions aside I do have a few other questions for folks, feel free to skip or answer any ones you want if any.

What is everyone's favorite SSI or Gold Box game and why? Did you beat it?

What is your favorite non SSI computer computer RPG?

Favorite Pen and paper RPG? If valid which edition?

Favorite genre outside of fantasy, Horror, Comic Books, Sci-Fi, Western, Romance, etc.?

What words best describes you when it comes to Dungeoncraft? Player, Programmer, Artist, Designer, Audio, Writer, Lurker?

How much magic loot do you like in CPRG games? A ton of powerful magic loot? Low magic loot? somewhere in between?

Favorite feature of Dungeoncraft?

Favorite Dungeoncraft module??

Favorite monsters in Gold Box games, Unlimited adventures and Dungeoncraft?

Thanks in advance for any feedback folks volunteer!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:50:51 PM by cycosurgeon »

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: A noob trying to get a feel for the community
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:41:19 PM »
I'll reply to your assumptions:

♦ Since the gold box games and unlimited adventures are older, that most of the members of the community are older.
-- Depends on your opinion of older. I think the majority of us are likely 30+. (I'm 44, for the record).

♦ That most of the community has played or still plays pen and paper DnD in various editions.
-- Very true for me. I've played all editions of DnD (started in 1979) and other PnP RPGs. I currently run a DnD 5e campaign, and run official public play games at my LFGS.

♦ That most of the community might be semi familiar with other old school TSR games. Like Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, Top Secret etc.
-- I love all of those games. Currently also play in occasional Marvel Heroic and Star Wars (EotE) games.

♦ That most of the community members are fans of Computer Role playing games in general.
-- CRPGs are my goto, followed closely by casual games like pinball, tower defense, and the like.

♦ That fancy artwork isn't really a huge priority when it comes to having fun.
-- Fancy artwork is nice, but not integral. It can help immerse me more into a fantasy world but rarely will a lack of art detract me from it.

♦  That all of the community knows more about DC and Unlimited adventures than I do.
-- Many do. When it comes ot DC, I know slightly more than you, I think. As for FRUA, I think I have forgotten more than I know now. heh

♦ What is everyone's favorite SSI or Gold Box game and why? Did you beat it?
-- Pools of Radiance and Champions of Krynn are tied.  Yes, beat both a very long time ago. I am currently playing an updated version of PoR using the NWN2 game. It is fun, if a bit difficult, so far.

♦ What is your favorite non SSI computer computer RPG?
-- I loved Ultima Underworld and The Elder Scrolls, I also enjoyed newer game such as NeverWinter Nights, Skyrim, Dragon Age, and if you go a bit broader, MMOs such as Everquest and Wow.

♦ Favorite Pen and paper RPG? If valid which edition?
-- DnD is the one I have played most. I enjoyed all editions, but if I had to pick only one ... I'd say the new 5e version is fantastic.

♦ Favorite genre outside of fantasy, Horror, Comic Books, Sci-Fi, Western, Romance, etc.?
-- Superheroes, followed closely by sci-fi.

♦ What words best describes you when it comes to Dungeoncraft? Player, Programmer, Artist, Designer, Audio, Writer, Lurker?
-- Distant fan and supporter with no experience with the game engine.

♦ How much magic loot do you like in CPRG games? A ton of powerful magic loot? Low magic loot? somewhere in between?
-- Cool loot beats generic loot. A low amount is good, as long as the magic is not required to keep pace with the dangers of the game world. Barring that, enough magic goodies to keep pace.

♦ Favorite feature of Dungeoncraft?
-- The people developing it? I have never tried it, but have know these guys a long time. heh

♦ Favorite Dungeoncraft module??
-- See above.

♦ Favorite monsters in Gold Box games, Unlimited adventures and Dungeoncraft?
-- Kobolds, if done with flair and an eye to their nature. Also, ogres and dragons.

♦ Thanks in advance for any feedback folks volunteer!
-- You're welcome!

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 03:28:56 AM »
I voted for 1st option, though i also like good original adventures.

♦ Since the gold box games and unlimited adventures are older, that most of the members of the community are older.
-- 37 here. I am new only almost 2 years playing here.

♦ That most of the community has played or still plays pen and paper DnD in various editions.
-- True for me, playing 2e only (together with 1e). I have recently heard good phrase TETSNBN and i think that all editions after 2nd are a bit not so good, though there are some good things that could be brought to 2e :)

♦ That most of the community might be semi familiar with other old school TSR games. Like Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, Top Secret etc.
-- Not so much, but I am trying to get into those too.

♦ That most of the community members are fans of Computer Role playing games in general.
-- True for me

♦ That fancy artwork isn't really a huge priority when it comes to having fun.
-- True, though it helps

♦  That all of the community knows more about DC and Unlimited adventures than I do.
-- I don't know much yet, but i am hoping that it will come with playing.

♦ What is everyone's favorite SSI or Gold Box game and why? Did you beat it?
-- I didn't played them.

♦ What is your favorite non SSI computer computer RPG?
--  My favs are BG1 and 2, and ID and Torment, and FO1 and 2. Also DDO: Eberron (3e MMO), i used to play it for years but recently it seems my computer is outdated and started to shuts the game probably because of low ram. NWN Online is also nice but i didn't played it much, same problem my computer can't run it good.

♦ Favorite Pen and paper RPG? If valid which edition?
-- 2e and 1e Ad&d, all the rest is for me wasting time mostly.

♦ Favorite genre outside of fantasy, Horror, Comic Books, Sci-Fi, Western, Romance, etc.?
-- SF, and SH and Western, but anything that is good, that is also true for anything i do.

♦ What words best describes you when it comes to Dungeoncraft? Player, Programmer, Artist, Designer, Audio, Writer, Lurker?
-- Player, heart of GM and artist, would be programer, i can't say i am good with music, only bit of writer but hoping to improve.

♦ How much magic loot do you like in CPRG games? A ton of powerful magic loot? Low magic loot? somewhere in between?
-- Enough to make things interesting.

♦ Favorite feature of Dungeoncraft?
-- I just like that it is open and anything can be changed. I would like to stay that way as it is very useful and fun for playing. How easy, open and usable it is for me is how fun will it be. But i just like way things are done in FRUA and DC, it is very close to real playing.

♦ Favorite Dungeoncraft module??
-- they are all nice, but I dont have favorite yet. Maybe Village of Hommlet is best I have played till now.

♦ Favorite monsters in Gold Box games, Unlimited adventures and Dungeoncraft?
-- Something that is done nicely with a story. It can be ordinary monster or NPC but it needs to have story. I probably could make a list of monster characters that i have met and liked :)

♦ Thanks in advance for any feedback folks volunteer!
-- You're welcome!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:41:02 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 10:35:53 AM »
I voted for non-fantasy, because I like to experience unusual settings and allow my imagination to wander. If I could have picked "All of the Above," I would have.

1) 46
2) Yes, but I have not played PnP in recent years.
3) I would love to see a Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, or Top Secret version of Dungeon Craft. I have a Gamma World DC project on the back burner, over low heat, slowly simmering.
4) Definitiely. I like to play CRPGs. Especially ones with tool sets for creation.
5) Fancy artwork is nice and bad artwork can terminate my suspension of disbelief.
6) I might know more about DC and FRUA than you do, it's hard to tell until you ask a specific question about them.
7) My favorite Gold Box game is Curse of the Azure Bonds. I wish that every game had Alias and Dragonbait as NPCs. The "trapped in a dungeon and you have to fight your way out with limited resources" premise was used effectively in Haptooth Tower and Zhentil Keep.
8 ) City of Heroes was my favorite CRPG.
9) It's hard to find a PnP RPG that can hold a candle to 1st Edition AD&D.
10) My favorite non-fantasy genre is Superheroes. Science Fiction comes in second.
11) For Dungeoncraft, I consider myself a Designer, Artist, and occasional Scripter.
12) I like a small number of powerful magic items with creative back stories. I do not like when my job title switches from "adventurer" to "inventory manager".
13) My favorite feature of Dungeoncraft is the ability to customize it. That, and the powerful tool set known as "The Editor".
14) My favorite Dungeoncraft module is the one that has not yet been written. That one is going to be awesome!
15) Give me a Broad Sword and some Fire Giants to hack away at, and I am a happy camper. My favorite monster is the Giant.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »
Since other people are answering, I figure I will too...

Like Vix said above, depends on what you consider to be old.  I'm only 46.  I was 24 in March of 1993 when Unlimited Adventures hit the shelves.

That most of the community has played or still plays pen and paper DnD in various editions.
I've played every edition of D&D from Basic D&D forward.  Currently playing 5th Edition.  In my opinion, it's the best edition ever and a great sequel to 2nd Edition.

That most of the community might be semi familiar with other old school TSR games. Like Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, Top Secret etc.
Yep.  And a lot of other old school RPGs as well, TSR and otherwise.  I've forgotten more games than most people have played.

That most of the community members are fans of Computer Role playing games in general.
That's a given, I think. 

Fancy artwork never hurts.

I don't know what level of understanding that you have about DC or Unlimited Adventures, so it's hard to say.  There are certainly people who know more about both of them than I could ever know, so I'm not sure it matters.  We all start at square one.

Going by fun memories, both Pool of Radiance and Pools of Darkness take the top spots for me.  Beat them both...multiple times.

Does Neverwinter Nights count if I don't include the campaigns it came with?

5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons and the original West End D6 version of the Star Wars Roleplaying Game.

Favorite genre outside of fantasy, Horror, Comic Books, Sci-Fi, Western, Romance, etc.?
I assume you mean "Favorite genre aside from fantasy?"  The commas make the question confusing.  Probably space opera (Star Wars, Buck Rogers, etc).  Needs to be more of that in the world.

What words best describes you when it comes to Dungeoncraft? Player, Programmer, Artist, Designer, Audio, Writer, Lurker?
I would describe myself as "Eagerly Waiting." 

How much magic loot do you like in CPRG games? A ton of powerful magic loot? Low magic loot? somewhere in between?
This depends on the setting.  To be fair, I don't give it much thought.  If I play a game with powerful magic loot, I assume it's necessary.  If I play a game with low magic or no magic loot, I assume it isn't necessary.  As long as CRPG combat is balanced, I don't worry about it.

That it exists at all.

The "Default" design.  Because it proves DC actually does something and isn't vaporware.

I've always liked low level monsters, like Orcs, Kobolds and Goblins.

Don't know if these answers help or not.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 06:40:44 PM »
Since I am new, I figure I might as well try to get to know the community a bit better. So a I made a poll and figured i'd ask some silly questions. But I must be honest, I am making a few assumptions about the community as well. But I could be way off the mark with them, so I figured they are worth mentioning.

These assumptions are...

Since the gold box games and unlimited adventures are older, that most of the members of the community are older.
42...is that old? ;)

Yes and yes for me. Last one I played was Grimm.

Yup. Owned some Top Secret and Boot Hill, but mostly Marvel.

Not as much as you would think. I think a lot of RPGs are missing the "RP". I would much rather spend time reading thins on screen than hacking at things on screen.

Depends on what you mean by fancy. Consistent artwork is a big deal for me, does that count as fancy? ;)

That all of the community knows more about DC and Unlimited adventures than I do.[/b\
:D I'm not one of the FRUA gurus, but I know the basics fairly well. DC...I know a thing or two about it.

Secret of the Silver Blades. First one I owned and finished.

Either Icewind Dale or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

It's a toss up between 1e AD&D and 1e World of Darkness - depends on the crew and my mood. I've spent longer in my love affair with AD&D, though.

There are genres outside of fantasy? ;) I'm going to say urban/modern fantasy and sf.

Yes.

An amount commensorate to the need to use it to win/complete the game. If I only need a +1 dagger and gumption to defeat the big baddy at the end, I don't see much point in having a +20 Sword of Uber-Slaying. I think less is more when it comes to magic, by which I mean less in quantity, not necessarily in strength. I like Nol's answer to this question. I think it highly likely for me to play and enjoy a game with no player magic, if it's the right story.

The ones without bugs

I've enjoyed all that I have played, so I'm going to say "the next one".

I've always had a fondness for minotaurs and displacer beasts.

Thanks in advance for any feedback folks volunteer!
You're welcome.

Offline JaxQinn

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 09:39:59 PM »
New as well, I think this is a good way to become familiar with other forum members. I voted the 2nd option "Original D&D adventures" although I would probably like completely original game I think it would be good to follow the basic rule set so players know what they are getting into. Although to be honest putting in some "optional" rules (Dwarven fighter/priest!) would be welcome, but I'd definitely prefer the base game play to be AD&D for the most part.

Yea, 36, had PoR on my c-64/128 (best computer of it's day.)

Not too much, basically lack of gaming community in my area (or any community for that matter...)

Nope, the only played D&D (original and 2e to any extent,) Star Trek, Battle Tech, Twilight 2000, the Weird West one (cant recall the name atm) and Alternity. Aside from D&D and BT, the others had good concepts and some unique idea's, but lacked play-ability.

Yes, pretty much any that are not RTS types (although I do not have a problem with RTS, they are not RPGs no matter how hard they try,) although CTB with pause (ie BG) is fine.

As others have stated, decent graphics can help with immersion, but really any graphics that are good enough to get the basic image across is fine. Also, great graphics at the cost of gameplay is annoying.

That all of the community knows more about DC and Unlimited adventures than I do.
Nope :)

Really hard to say, although I'd have to say PoR, for nostalgia reasons. (first Computer game I ever beat.)

Toss-up between Darklands and Fallout (original with 2 close behind)

D&D 2e. I tried 3e and 4e, but always went back to 2, have not tried 5e, too expensive these days TBH.

Sci-Fi, such as Fallout, though "pure" sci-fi such as the "buck rogers" games and BattleTech are good I also like Westerns, but have yet to find a good game for that genre.

New Player

Low, just enough to enhance (even a +1 sword should be a treasure!)

Options

No idea yet.

Honestly no idea, I'd have to go with basic Undead (skeletons, Zombies, Gouls and the advanced Skeletons.) The basics have appeal (goblins, orcs, ogre, dragons and the more advanced giants) Although I also like the more unique Drider and Draconians as well. My favorite D&D monster would have to be Giant Spiders, had a lot of fun with them in PnP D&D.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 10:01:12 PM »
Sorry to interrupt the flow of the conversation, but I have to address this:

D&D 2e. I tried 3e and 4e, but always went back to 2, have not tried 5e, too expensive these days TBH.

You can download the Basic version of D&D 5th Edition for free.  5th Edition Basic includes rules to play a campaign from level 1-20, and includes the four main archetype classes (Fighter, Rogue, Wizard and Cleric) and four main archetype races (Human, Dwarf, Elf and Halfling).  An entire campaign can be played with it.  You can also download the 5th Edition DM's Basic book which includes lots of monsters and magical items.  5th Edition D&D Basic is the core game, is absolutely free, and is the only thing players are assumed to have.  The additional books (Player's Handbook, Monster Manual and Dungeon Master's Guide) are extra options, and are not required for a campaign.

You can download them all here:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules?x=dnd/basicrules
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline cycosurgeon

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 12:46:28 PM »
WoW....this is super awesome and will totally helps me understand what the community is all about and sometimes it is wise to design with your target audience in mind!

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 02:31:44 PM »
I think it's interesting that many of us in the community are wirght around the same age. :D I do know that there are some older folks involved.

Online Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »
Quote from: Manikus
I do know that there are some older folks involved.

Let's not get personal.   ::)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 05:03:59 AM »
I chose "Unique and unpredictable fantasy" but "Non-fantasy setting" would suit me just as well. I wouldn't mind any of the other options either, but in general I prefer fresh and creative to traditional stuff.

I guess I am "older", getting closer and closer to 40, and compared to some of the other members that might even count as young. I have played Forgotten Realms AD&D 2nd edition for a while as a kid, with short expeditions into the territory of Oriental Adventures. I'm not really familiar with other TSR games though. I am a fan of CRPGs in general, among other genres. I'd agree that fancy artwork isn't all and I also like graphics that some would deem dated and ugly, but I wouldn't say I'm indifferent to game art at all - I really appreciate appealing graphics in my games, and I set great store in a coherent style.

I admit I didn't play any of the Gold Box games, if you don't count the UA remakes. My favorite SSI games were the Eye of the Beholder series and Al-Quadim: The Genie's Curse. I also liked the first Dark Sun game but I didn't beat it. Among my favorite non SSI CRPGs are Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and Albion, as well as UA and Neverwinter Nights, but the latter two only for their moddability and community modules, not their original campaigns. As explained above, my experience with playing pen & paper games is very limited, but I love the old Planescape materials. My favorite genres or settings outside of Fantasy might be Oriental, Steampunk, Mystery and Horror (or  rather Twisted/Dark in general).

When it comes to Dungeon Craft (DC), I'm not much of anything at the moment, but I guess I've been mostly a player (of Dinonykos' adventures) and an early module design experimenter (The Lesson). As for loot, I like it to be somewhere in between getting more good stuff than I need and hoarding lots of junk, so that loot is sparse but always rewarding. My favorite feature of DC is how customizable it is, especially in terms of graphics and sound (the coding flexibility impresses me too, but I find it easier to mess with the multimedia stuff). My favorite DC module is everything with "Friedrich" or "Helmetlands" in the title. I don't have any favorite monsters that I can think of, I like them all if they're unique and good-looking and don't spit poison, cripple attributes, drain levels or use instakill skills. ;)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 11:00:13 PM »
Hi!  :D

Way back when, I owned and played some of the Gold Box games (some of my friends had others).  Champions of Krynn was my first, but I don't think I understood the whole "random HP per level" thing back then, and it took about 30 minutes to load each battle so - it was really hard for me back then.  (I beat it on DosBox some years ago later.)  I liked Secret of the Silver Blades because it had lots more high-level spells and such back then - it was also fun to run through again.  I hated how you had to do the "what is the third word on the ninth line of page 35?" thing each time you loaded the games, though!

Besides SSI, I loved Ultima VI, Baldur's Gate I and II, and Temple of Elemental Evil.  Each had a lot of flexibility and freedom, wasn't too difficult, and had nice graphics, too.  Ultima VI had the most interactive conversations with townsfolk, plus you could do almost anything you felt like (mine for gold nuggets, milk cows, attack townsfolk and get arrested, cast a spell that killed everyone in the world except for yourself and the king, go see prostitutes, etc.).  Baldur's Gate similarly had a lot of freedom - thieves finally were really thieves, who could steal and pickpocket to make Level 1 a lot easier; NPC interactions were a lot of fun, too.  Temple of Elemental Evil was 3e, and not quite as interactive regarding townsfolk, but the battle system was really well-done and without a grid (distance was by globes around people instead).  You could also get unlucky and have to fight monsters a lot stronger than your party, like will-o-wisps.

I played mainly AD&D 1e/2e and Lejendary Adventure for pen and paper; but mostly the former.  The latter was another creation by Gary Gygax, but unfortunately his first was just too strong to compete with!

Besides fantasy, I was a big X-Men fan as a kid.  I rather detest horror, poo-poo westerns, yawn at romances, and am only vaguely interested in sci-fi (but I read Ender and some others) :D

In terms of Dungeon Craft, I have provided lots of art (especially icons), so I guess I am mainly an artist then?  I've done a bit o' testing, too.

A "normal" amount of magic loot is good in CRPGs.  Too much is silly, too little is hard.  A "realistic" mod with minimal magic and magic items could be fun, too, though (spells limited to enchantments, abjuration, etc.).

I love how Dungeon Craft works with the image sizes that I work in.  (Wait a minnit... ;D )  But it's just cool to see what you draw appear in a game...

As for monsters, dragons are always a lot of fun to fight and be scared of in any CRPGs.  Also nice are elementals or demons/devils (but not very PC for the latter).  Otyughs and neo-otyughs were fun, just because they are gross poo-piles.  In the Dragonlance games, draconians were pretty memorable, too, if annoying!
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline JudgeDeadd

• There's a custom title box now?
  • A perfect day for a short walk around the world.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 01:43:00 AM »
I'm 24, released my first design at the ripe age of 14 (a few years after I discovered FRUA.) So I'm an outlier I guess.

I used to be a D&D fan. Over the years my interest has waned, in part due to the release of 4E which relegated 3.5E to the background.

Never played any of the old Goldbox games, actually, and I'm not sure if I'd like them.

Quite so! It's one my favorite genres.

By now, "graphics aren't everything!" has been said so many times that it's pretty much a cliche :P That said, yeah, even really ugly games can be great fun.

Not sure about that; off the top of my head, it would be Gothic. I like its atmosphere and great writing.

As said above, D&D3.5E, but I haven't been involved with it for a long time now.

Possibly science fiction and crime/thrillers.

Little loot, not a lot of loot (try saying that ten times fast :P) - I'd rather find a few useful items than a ton of stuff, most of it useless to me.
“For one who claims to be no more than an observer of this play, you’ve had more than your share of commentary, stranger.”

Offline hans

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 11:17:59 AM »

55.  Beat that, if you can!

Never have, although I've read quite a bit of manuals & bestiaries.

Not me.

I haven't played too many of the newer ones.  But, old school, yes.

Icing on the cake.  But who doesn't like icing?

I'm just a FRUAite.  I don't keep up with DC, which is why it's taken me so long to respond to this thread.

Feel free to scream at me if my assumptions are wrong.

:sad6:

Tie between Curse of the Azure Bonds and Death Knights of Krynn.  I beat all the Goldbox games, multiple times, although I haven't played them for years, now...

Knights of Legend, X-Com Ufo Defense, Heroes of Might and Magic II, Freedom Force.

Super Hero, Asian Martial Art Historic Fantasies.

Doesn't matter, so long as the gameplay holds my interest.

New ones. 

anything