Peter Davidson (The Fifth Doctor)
0 (0%)
Colin Baker (The Sixth Doctor)
0 (0%)
Sylvester McCoy (The Seventh Doctor)
0 (0%)
Paul McGann (The Eighth Doctor)
0 (0%)
Christopher Eccleston (The Ninth Doctor)
2 (20%)
David Tennant (The Tenth Doctor)
0 (0%)
Matt Smith (The Eleventh Doctor)
0 (0%)
Peter Capaldi (The Twelfth Doctor)
0 (0%)
Peter Cushing (The Movie Doctor)
0 (0%)
John Hurt (The War Doctor)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: November 30, 2014, 09:52:50 AM

Author Topic: Who is your favorite Doctor Who?  (Read 1051 times)

Offline hans

Who is your favorite Doctor Who?
« on: October 17, 2014, 10:52:50 AM »
An off topic Poll, even tho the Doctor has cameoed in at least one UA mod, but, hey, it's still well within geek territory, and since it's been awhile since we've had a Poll question, let's see how many Doctor Who fans we've got out there...

Offline Jaesun

Re: Who is your favorite Doctor Who?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 11:30:47 AM »
Tom Baker, he was my first and will always be my favorite <3

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 03:15:31 PM »
My first exposure to Doctor Who was a couple of unconnected Saturday Mornings when I happened to wake up before the cartoons started.  There was this strange show that I didn't quite understand.  They were Pertwee episodes from the middles of two different stories.  I was mildly curious, but it was shown too early in the morning for me to become attached. 

A few years later, on another station, during the afternoons, the Tom Baker shows were shown.  To these I became a fan.  I never got into any of the Doctors that followed, however (especially the younger, handsomer ones who always seemed to me the antithesis of what the character should be). 

It seemed to me that Tom Baker would always be the definitive Doctor for me, and possibly the one and only. 

Yet, when I later discovered reruns of the earlier Doctors, I was very impressed by Jon Pertwee's take.  He added action-hero elements to his Doctor, and kept the humor to a minimum, which added enormous suspense to his stories.  He made the Doctor into a sci-fi Sherlock Holmes, of sorts.  I also liked that so many of his adventures took place on Earth.  Many fans consider this a drawback, but in Pertwee's view: "I think it's infinately more frightening to find a Yeti sitting in your loo in Tooting Bec, or the Daleks streaming over Westminster bridge than it is to find them on an alien planet!"  I agree with his assessment. 

These past few weeks, a local station has been replaying his series, and I'm even more impressed by the work than I was before.  While I did enjoy the breezy charm of Tom  Baker immensely, for me the best Doctor is Jon Pertwee.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:09:43 PM by hans »

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 03:55:56 PM »
Even though i was first introduced to the Doctor with Tome Baker I never really got into the show with all the creatures being actors in rubber suits.  It really made the show look campy but it was good fun,.  Tom is my second favorite.  Hartnell to me originated the Doctor and set the standard.  He had the look and crotchety old character of a traveler who had seen to many things and bared the weight of civilizations.  He sort of defined the doctor for me.

FBN66 - Jeff

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:12:59 PM »
I voted for Tom Baker, because I have seen the most episodes by him.

... I sense a missed opportunity to make one of the poll choices "Yes".
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 07:17:38 PM »
... I sense a missed opportunity to make one of the poll choices "Yes".

Lol   ;D  As I was framing the question, it did occur to me that it could easily become a statement with a change of punctuation.  It's practically an Abbott & Costello comedy routine, as well.

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »
It appears Tom Baker is on his way to winning this poll. 

Here, however, he finished at the head of a more ignoble tally: 
http://whatculture.com/tv/10-most-cringeworthy-doctor-who-moments-from-the-70s.php/11 

I mentioned that the Doctor made a brief appearance in one mod, that being Steve Gustafson's very fun and funny Yezukriis III: Lifestyles of the Lich and Famous.  That was as the Tom Baker Doctor, with Leela, too.  I thought that he might've done so in one other humorous mod, as well, but I may be mistaken, as I couldn't remember which (if so). 

The Doctor Who theme music is also in our archives.

anything