Author Topic: SHUA Furthered  (Read 1582 times)

Offline hans

SHUA Furthered
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:12:31 PM »
I'm still working on Rocco Taku's big SHUA mod, but should be done in a matter of a few weeks. 

Afterwards, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm thinking of trying to hack a backwards-compatible version of Nol's SHUA with expanded power options for PCs. 

My first hurdle will be restoring the Unused Items back into play.  I may need tutoring on that, when the time comes. 

Things I would want to do include: 

Creating items for lightning bolt and fireball powers.  Right now, SHUA has Magnetism and Energy Blasts which use those standard UA spells.  So, if I wanted to have PCs of both Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lad, they'd both have to have the exact same items.  My thought is to duplicate the Magnetism and Energy Blast items, but give them new names as in lightning and fireballs.  Although these new items would duplicate already existing ones as far as effects, I believe that the new names would give players a more satisfying role-playing feel when choosing those power items. 

I am already using Combat Sprites which can pass for either power, in my recent SHUA mods.

I could duplicate one of the martial arts to include Kung Fu into the options, even tho its damage would exactly match one of the existing ones, too.

I also noticed that, in his Wonder Woman mod, Steve Gustafson gave the Amazon Bracelets the Bulletproof specab.  That got me thinking.  Other new armors could be created with added specabs, like Resistant to Fire/Cold.  The price for such armors could be adjusted by adding the cost of the base armor it was duplicating in the Item Instances to the cost of the specab-only power item.

I could create some Magic armors and weapons, too.

While these power and item additions wouldn't really add any new effects into the game, my aim would be to increase the role-playing options, if only in name, for players to create custom superheroes.

I would also adjust a few item costs, like cutting the cost of Batarangs by half, to put them equal to Bullets and Arrows. 

I might also rewrite a few text strings, for example to allow villains to use "powers" instead of "spells." 

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:10:42 PM by hans »

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: SHUA Furthered
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »
Interesting... I hope we will see it soon. I don't know much about FRUA hacking but now you got me thinking that it might be useful, so i guess it is one more thing on my to learn list.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:39:25 PM by Rainbower »

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:34:47 AM »
I've noticed a fairly major bug in the SHUA Worldhack.  Some superpowers, like invisibility or illusory duplication (mirror image) wear off during combat.  And, because they are cursed items ("superpowers"), the powers cannot be reactivated by taking the items off and putting them back on (as one might do with a Ring of Invisibility in standard UA). 

I figure the easiest way to fix this bug would be to remove the "cursed" flag from some or even all of the superpowers. 

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:34:50 AM »
I figure the easiest way to fix this bug would be to remove the "cursed" flag from some or even all of the superpowers.

I like this suggestion. Character creation is often frustrating due to the fact that a Super Power is 'readied' it cannot be 'unreadied'.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 07:38:59 PM »
Okay, here's my attempt at fixing the above problem...

==================================================

SUPER-HERO UNLIMITED ADVENTURES WORLDHACK

PATCH TO TURN OFF SUPER-POWERS CURSE 

The Problem this intended to fix: 

An unintended consequence in making superpowers cursed, like invisibility or illusory duplication (mirror image) is that when the effects wear off during combat, because they are cursed items ("superpowers"), the powers cannot be reactivated by taking the items off and putting them back on (as one might do with a Ring of Invisibility in standard UA). 

I figured the easiest way to fix this bug would be to remove the "cursed" flag from all of the superpowers.  The ITEM.DAT and ITEMS.DAT files, here, should accomplish this. 

How to use: 

Replace the ITEM.DAT and ITEMS.DAT files in the SHUA Worldhack, or any superhero design using the SHUA Worldhack, and Apply or re-Apply the design using UAShell. 

But, please keep backup copies of the original ITEM.DAT and ITEMS.DAT files in case there is an unforseen problem with these. 

Note: 

Old characters who were already saved with previously cursed items before switching to the new ITEM.DAT and ITEMS.DAT files may retain their "cursed" superpowers condition. 

Use a bit of caution, folks.  This is my first attempt at offering a hack fix. 

If nobody finds any problems with this, after awhile, I'll use these new ITEM.DAT and ITEMS.DAT files in Rocco Taku's eventual SHUA project, and UL the patch by itself to the Archive.

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 02:34:29 PM »
Now that I've finished Man-Storm, I'll be returning to work on Rocco Taku's big SHUA project.  My hope is to use a version of SHUA with as many (customized) items added as possible.  Since the mod will be make-your-own PCs, I'd like to give players as much choice as possible. 

Nol, how hard would it be to reclaim the Unused Items of SHUA (building on your fixed version) back into the inventory...? 

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 02:51:24 PM »
Nol, how hard would it be to reclaim the Unused Items of SHUA (building on your fixed version) back into the inventory...?

Oops!   :-[  Never mind, Nol.  Looking back on my notes, I see you have already provided me with a version that does just that!   :P  Many thanks, amigo!!!   :notworthy:

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 11:35:59 PM »
Glad I could help!

Offline hans

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 08:42:15 PM »
Ulp, it seems I've hit a little bump in the road, Nol. 

Using Frua98, I've opened up the files you hacked which now make lots of Unused Items available.  ...But they're all set under Powered Assault Armor (Class: Items.dat record 1) which means they all share the Equipment Slot: Armor and Base armor class: -10 settings.    :(

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »
Are you saying that the Inventory Lists which are used in Shop Events all refer to the same Unused Item?

Or are you saying that you need to hack both the ITEM.DAT and ITEMS.DAT files to get new super powers to show up in the Inventory Lists?

If its option #1, then that was not what was intended and I'll need to fix it. If its option #2, then you should be able to create new items and I can help guide you through the process.

Offline hans

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 11:39:16 PM »
Are you saying that the Inventory Lists which are used in Shop Events all refer to the same Unused Item? 
No.

Or are you saying that you need to hack both the ITEM.DAT and ITEMS.DAT files to get new super powers to show up in the Inventory Lists?
No.

The Unused Items show up on a variety of Shop item catagories in UA.  It is in Frua98 that I see all those Unused Items in the same "Class: Items.dat record 1" list, all underneath Powered Assault Armor.  In the previous versions of SHUA, I believe these Unused Items were spread out among many Classes (tho, of course, they did not show up in the Shops). 

I experimented with renaming some of those Unused Items, and even could buy them in a shop.  They would all share the same AC-changing properties of Powered Assault Armor, tho, and I could not change them from an armor to another type of item or alter the -10 AC without also changing the Powered Assault Armor, as well.  They all seem to be linked. 

I'm guessing all items grouped in a "Class: Items.dat record *" must share certain properties. 

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »
Have you tried using ITEMEDIT instead of Frua98? You should be able to change the "item type" for each item and make each one a ring, a scroll, a melee weapon, etc.

Offline hans

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 08:39:02 PM »
Have you tried using ITEMEDIT instead of Frua98? You should be able to change the "item type" for each item and make each one a ring, a scroll, a melee weapon, etc.

Unfortunately, ITEMEDIT is one of the proggies I've been unable to get running on my new computer, even with DosBox.   :( 

I'll try to get my old computer put back together and working in the next few days.  Hopefully.    :-\
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:53:19 PM by hans »

Offline hans

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 06:47:31 PM »
I did finally get ITEMEDIT to work.  It seems my problems were similar to Dinonykos' recent ones with UAShell.  A fresh install and some clicking around with properties finally got it to work with DosBox. 

It is an older proggie and much more difficult to work with than FRUA98, I find.  Somehow, I've managed to botch every experiment I've done so far.  It may take me some serious time to master this program.   :drool:

Offline hans

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »
Great news!!!  I may not have to master ICONEDIT at all!   :occasion18:

I discovered a feature in FRUA98 that I didn't realize was there.  It allows me to change the "items.dat record no."  As I mentioned before, first on the  "Class: Items.dat record 1" list was Powered Assault Armor and all of the available Unused Items were listed below it (which meant they all shared the same item type: armor & the -10 AC property). 

However, I found that FRUA98 allows changing the "items.dat record no."  I renamed one of the Unused Items to "1" and changed the "items.dat record no." from 1 to 2.  Then when I navigated to "Class: Items.dat record 2" my renamed item moved with me, appearing now on that list.  I have attached a screencap of FRUA98's display with the pertinent spots highlighted in red, below. 

I believe this function will allow me to proceed without further trouble.   :iroc: