Author Topic: Micro-Heroes  (Read 1114 times)

Offline hans

Micro-Heroes
« on: November 18, 2013, 07:13:03 PM »
I mentioned that I might try my hand at creating some Micro-Heroes in another thread.  I did, and below are my results.  As I expected, working with them used the same skills I've often used in creating art for UA.  It's all just pixels... 

Offline Ray

Re: Micro-Heroes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:25:24 PM »

These are great, Hans.

I think my favorite HAS to be Mr. Aquarium.  That's just awesome...

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:24:32 AM »
They are adorable. :love7:
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:40:06 AM »
Yeah they look great :) awesome work there. Now i wish to make some too.

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:14:36 AM »
Thanks, guys!   :) 

It was interesting for me to check out a lot of existing Micro-Heroes up close.  Some are done quite simply, with only the most basic techniques and palettes, while others can be quite intricate, using much more advanced techniques. 

I used some advanced techniques, myself, but tried to keep the classic elements of Micro-Heroes intact.  The big heads, larger eyes, were musts.  The classic straight-on poses I kept for the guys, and pretty much for Doomsmaid, but let Weborah express herself more.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:20:05 AM by hans »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:38:15 AM »
You did it very nicely and i like that lady with web cloak, i think she looks most interesting. I think micro heroes could be used with FRUA/DC, though i guess that their perspective should be a bit changed for using it with icons. For portraits though they can be used without too much work.

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »
...For portraits though they can be used without too much work.

That comment prompted me to do an experiment I'd been thinking about, since starting my little Micro-Heroes project.  That is, how I would take one of my Micros, and convert it into a UA character/portrait pic? 

Micro-Heroes have bodies that are usually fairly realistically (if heroically) proportioned.  But on top of those bodies, traditional micros have heads that are over-sized (if not balloony, or bobble-headish) and eyes that are even more over-sized.  So, to make a serious UA pic, the cartoonish head must be turned proportional and as realistic as the body. 

Below is my experiment, using Graylinger, with the steps I used recorded and numbered so as to make something like a tutorial. 

Step 1:  Make a copy of the Micro-Hero.

Step 2:  "Cut" the head off. 

Step 3:  "Paste" the head back, but at a smaller, more proportional size.  This step might take several tries to see exactly what size looks best. 

Step 4:  Using the new-sized head as a base, rework and refine it, reducing the eyes further, adding missing areas (a bit of neck in this case), getting rid of stray pixels, and whatever other adjustments that seem needed.  This step may seem quite involved, but it is no more difficult than making the Micro in the first place.

Step 5:  Saving the whole image for further possible uses, make a copy putting part of it in UA's regular pic area of 88x88 pixels.  More of its area could be used for a big pic or title pic image.

Step 6:  Add some background.  One color backgrounds are a little flat, so I recommend a mix of colors.  Whatever would look right for the story. 

Now the image is ready to be "cropped" and formatted in the usual way as a *.pcx file.  It's not likely to be using more than 220 colors, so running it through Dan Autery's Toolbox proggie should put its colors into the right palette places without having to reduce them, first.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 02:39:11 AM »
Wow it looks great. And you are right about the head being oversized only now i really notice it. Very nicely done Hans thanks for that. I will try doing some myself for DC and maybe for FRUA too if i get into it :). It looks like it can be done quickly and as soon as i finish my sorting of FRUA/DC files i will try making some microheroes and portraits and also icons.

Offline hans

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 08:48:49 PM »
Here's a couple of micro-heroes I made in connection to my recent Man-Storm mod (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3422.0). 

I believe that I fell into a trap of overworking these two.  One of the original points of micro-heroes, unless I am misinformed, is to keep them fairly simple (almost to the point of an EGA style).   :P 

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 02:19:57 AM »
Great, and thanks for the link to the module, I have seen it in the contest thread but wondered how can it be downloaded :)