Poll

Which describes your UA use?

I play UA with UAShell to apply "hacked" mods.
18 (85.7%)
I play UA by itself and never play "hacked" mods.
0 (0%)
I no longer play UA.
2 (9.5%)
I have never played UA.
1 (4.8%)
I don't really know what UA is (I'm new).
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: January 26, 2014, 10:07:40 AM

Author Topic: Are you playing UA or not? (Please participate)  (Read 10123 times)

Offline hans

Are you playing UA or not? (Please participate)
« on: October 19, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »
Please, feel free to leave comments, like: if you play UA, but only rarely, how rarely is "rarely"...?

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Are you playing UA or not? (Please participate)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »
I just started to play again FRUA :D and it looks so good to play it again. JG4 Fortress of Badabaskor, Neverwinter nights, abandoned Castle Greyhawk, The Bell and the Staff..., hm will have to decide then to DC. I hope there will be something new there too :) hope i will make something soon at last, green guys are still waiting for me :).
Hm just some music to get it started again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83hoUxrflNk

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »
I still play from time to time when I'm in the mood for some gold-box goodness.  Hacked modules don't scare me, so I definitely picked that answer. 
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Wisel the Raiser

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »
Never played UA. Only played some POD and some BR:  CTDD.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 05:47:51 PM »
Unfortunately, I have not played UA in a while.

It is still loaded on my computer. The last mod i played was the last mod you released before the current one, hans.  lol

Offline KTG

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »
I voted that I still play (hacked or not hacked doesn't matter to me).  I am, however, taking what I consider a short break away from UA, but only long enough to play another game or two.  I'll still be playing UA for the foreseeable future.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 02:35:12 AM »
I use UA to play any modules, hacked or not, playing them in roughly chronological order.

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 07:30:20 AM »
Not right now.  I think i played about 10-15 of the better reviewed modules.  When a new one is released I will give it a try

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
I am trying to :) NWN atm, still haven't started it but almost, have to get my characters ready :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:54:00 AM by Rainbower »

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 08:30:56 AM »
I voted for I play UA with UAShell to apply "hacked" mods, because I no longer play UA sounds so final. But in truth I play it very rarely nowadays, if at all. The only incentive I have to play it is when something new and comparatively short is released, like your last superhero design. At that time I was away from home and had only access to my netbook which is better suited for less demanding games like UA, so I downloaded your design, started playing it for 10 minutes or so and had fun, and then I decided I would save it until my return trip, to pass the time on the train. But then for some reason I read a book instead and let the netbook rest in my backpack during the ride. And back home I got distracted by my new PC and my huge indie, classic and AAA game collection, playing through Psychonauts, Driftmoon and Jade Empire and forgetting all about UA again ...

So in short, I'm still interested in playing UA and especially your designs, but it isn't my top priority with all those other entertainment options I'm overwhelmed with nowadays. I hardly ever think "I want nothing more badly than to play UA right now", I always need to tell myself to sit down and play it, in order for it to work (and if I do, I can enjoy it again, but I'm not automatically drawn to it anymore.)

I guess, apart from all the alternatives I have, my waning interest in UA might also have to do with the decreasing activity in the community. Not to say it isn't active, it's quite stable and there are quite a few good people here who are still involved, but not as many as there used to be. I miss hearing from Keith, Ray and Darius more often, and I'm still sad about Merle vanishing again. It's kind of tricky, because I can understand everyone's reasons for not being as active anymore and of course I myself don't show much involvement either, but most of the times my enthusiam for UA was inspired by the activity and accomplishments of others; seeing regular previews and releases, being needed as a playtester or challenged by contests with several participants, that sort of thing ... Secretly, I'm still hoping GOG (or some other DRM-free digital download service) will some day manage to free the old D&D games from licensing limbo and make them available again, so that we might get a new influx of players and designers and people enthusiastic enough about UA's possibilities to light my own fire again.  ;)

As to hacked vs. default, I still prefer heavily hacked and visually unique designs. I wouldn't say "never", but these days I'd hardly ever touch a vanilla design, unless it had a very original or humorous premise, few (random) combats and a greater focus on story-telling. (I'm more lenient with French vanilla, but hacked ones are still preferable.)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:55:06 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 07:31:51 AM »
Part of the issue with people moving on, I think, has a lot to do with the fact that you can only do so much with UA.  And, by that, I don't mean engine limitation...I just mean there's only so many times that the same kind of engine is going to be enjoyed before you start to feel burned out on it.  I've been there.  Usually, I can go away for a while and then come back renewed.  Others can't do that. 

You can dress it up in new clothes all you like (sci-fi, superhero, etc), but underneath it's still UA.

I know this has nothing to do with the amount of things you can do with UA because I feel this way (as do others) about other engines as well.  You can do more with NWN and NWN2 than you can in UA, but games in those engines get old after a while too.  RPG Maker has a lot of flexibility, but it's engine wears thin rather quick.  DC is a newer version of UA, but I imagine people would get tired of it too.  As human beings, we look for "something different" from time-to time, and sometimes we don't come back.  It's just a fact of life.

On the plus side, though, as long as there is a community I have no doubt we will find new people who will come and go.  That's sort of how it works.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
I miss hearing from Keith, Ray and Darius more often, and I'm still sad about Merle vanishing again.

I was starting to feel the same way 'bout you.   ;) 
If we count you, it seems like we're losing about everybody who's worked on the UA Serial Mod Project.  (I wonder when's the next installment...)   :P

I am concerned about GoldBoxFan.  It seems like one day he was quite active and the next day he was suddenly gone.  I sent him a PM, but have not gotten a response.  I pray that he's okay. 

Naturally, I understand that UA can get a bit stale, --and that it is easily blown away by the many charms of so many newer games.  My biggest disappointment, however, would be if there are never any more mods written by you, Olivier, a FRUAuthor of such promise. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:29:55 PM by hans »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 07:25:09 AM »
Sometimes I feel that I'm the only one who's playing those old unsexy unhacked modules...

But then I was late to the party, so to speak. When I first heard of FRUA it was unavailable or at least hard to get my paws on, then came the Golden Age of PC Gaming when there was enough good, new games to chose from. So for me FRUA has actually only been a real alternative in more recent times, now that I've played all (except Matrix Cubes) of the Gold Box games.

Offline Ray

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
I am concerned about GoldBoxFan.  It seems like one day he was quite active and the next day he was suddenly gone.  I sent him a PM, but have not gotten a response.  I pray that he's okay. 

I agree.  I also feel this way about Darius.  He's been quiet for so long, also, and I don't believe there was ever a message of "farewell for now," or anything like that.

This is such a melancholy topic.  I always get sad when it comes back around...

For my part, I'm still around.  I just finished up the last session of the P&P campaign I started back in 1999.  The characters were in the high 20s, level-wise, and it was blowing my mind trying to keep up with all the variables for each session.  For the forseeable future, we'll be playing much less intensive sessions, and that will (hopefully) free up some time for me to do something other than stuff my mind full of epic-level monster stats...

There are so many things, though, that have gotten back-logged over the last few years of raising my daughter (she's THREE now--How did THAT happen?) and keeping up with my D&D campaign.  FRUA is definitely one of them, from playing Nol Drek's new designs to designing a few projects that seemed like SUCH a good idea five years ago... But it is a bit discouraging to think that there are so few people out there still playing the games that take so long to make.  I used to be able to sit down for eight hours a day and crank out a design in a weekend, but these days time is so much more precious.  It would take a couple weeks to do the same thing, and it's really difficult to devote all my free time for such a long period when the audience has dwindled so much.

On the other hand, I've just realized that designing for the UA group that remains is kind of like planning an adventure for my tabletop group--It's like devoting a bunch of time to a small group of close friends that I've known for YEARS.  So, with that in mind, I would never say that it couldn't happen.  Maybe sometime in early to mid-2014?

Offline hans

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »
Maybe sometime in early to mid-2014?

That would be a treat!   :) 

BTW, Ray, I recall that you had a P&P adventure published in Dungeon Magazine (and for all I know, maybe more since), did you ever convert your own adventure for UA?

anything